Author Topic: Pro Setup  (Read 4323 times)

liam_66

Pro Setup
« on: April 17, 2012, 02:10:22 PM »
I have had my 314ce for almost 2 years.  I love it.  I recently bought a fender strat and had is professionally set up.  I was amazed at the difference in playability.  With my Taylor, it is near impossible to bend on the first 2 frets.  I have tried light strings.  My fingers are not weak and I give a good bit of *umf* to only bend up a half step at most.  2 questions....is a porfessional set up needed or recomended for a new 314 ce and would it help with the bending?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 01:59:47 AM by michaelw »
Taylor 314CE
'62 AVRI Strat
MIM Strat w/texas specials's

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
Re: Pro Setup
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 03:56:53 PM »
You're comparing an acoustic to an electric with regards to bending?

Really?

A set of acoustic light gauge strings is .012-.053. A set of electric light gauge strings is .010-.046.

To do a fair comparison, you would need, at the very least, the same size strings on each guitar. Throw a set of heavy gauge (which would have a .012 as the high "E", the same as a light gauge acoustic set) on your Strat and try to bend it at the first fret.

That would be a fair comparison...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

liam_66

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 04:08:14 PM »
No.  Not comparing the ease of bending of the two.

Really.

I was asking if having a professional setup on my Taylor would have  much of an impact on its overall playability after seeing what a professional setup did for the strat.  More than just the ability to bend.  Apparently setups are standard when buying a strat.  I did not know this.  So I was asking if it is the same with Taylors.  I am well aware that bending on a strat with lighter strings would be much easier than an acoustic.  But thanks for answering my questions none the less.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 04:14:03 PM by liam_66 »
Taylor 314CE
'62 AVRI Strat
MIM Strat w/texas specials's

Maynard9089

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 04:14:11 PM »
I had my 414 setup 3 days after I received it. There was some noticable improvement. Don't expect to get the same playability as your electric though. My wifes Fender acoustic just got costom lights and it is closer to an electric than my Taylor with Elixer lights but that comes with a cost. Not as loud and a definite change in tone.
2012 Taylor 414ce
2013 Taylor GS-Mini Mahogany

flyingace71

• burnett guitars blog
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 04:24:14 PM »
Keep in mind what with a strat, bending is also made easier by the tremolo giving with your bending.
2007 Taylor GC5e
Kala Acacia Tenor Ukulele
Fender Guitars & Amps
Korg & Roland Keyboards

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 06:21:37 PM »
With my Taylor, it is near impossible to ben on the first 2 frets.  I have tried light strings.  My fingers are not weak and I give a good bit of *umf* to only bend up a half step at most.

Honestly I have alway had a hard time bending strings on a acoustic at the first two frets, on any acoustic.  It can be done but it is kind of a bugger and I avoid it.

My 2003 Telecaster is so much easier to do that than any of my acoustics of any brand.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 12:28:43 AM by michaelw »
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 06:27:11 PM »
Apparently setups are standard when buying a strat.  I did not know this.  So I was asking if it is the same with Taylors.

Set-ups aren't standard when buying anything. That's going to depend entirely on the dealer. Yes, many will do a complimentary set-up. Many, however, will not...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

andyi5

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 06:52:03 PM »
A lot of Taylors ship in very playable condition without need of a set up in comparison to other brands. An electric is a different animal and with every one I've bought I've gotten a set up included in the sale.

With string bending at the lowest frets - for instance in an E blues, bending the G string from the 2nd fret (A) up to the 4th (B) is an easy job on a strat, but much less so on an acoustic. Even if you have the strength, too much of that'll knock the guitar out of tune pretty regularly. So in acoustic blues you're more likely to hear hammer ons and pull offs used. In that same example you could include a semitone bend up to the B from the Bb on the 3rd fret, and then pull off Bb, A and open G, down to the E on the 3rd string. Similar effect but much more suited to the acoustic.

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 08:07:10 PM »
No.  Not comparing the ease of bending of the two.

Really.

I was asking if having a professional setup on my Taylor would have  much of an impact on its overall playability after seeing what a professional setup did for the strat.  More than just the ability to bend. 

I'll answer your question without calling into question your sanity in trying to bend acoustic strings. ::)

Taylor guitars typically come from the factory with a good set up.  Not necessarily perfect, but usually pretty good.   But there are exceptions.   Also, the standard factory setting may not be to your personal taste.  When I received my BTO, there was room to lower the strings at the nut, and I took full advantage of it and improved the playability.  So getting a pro setup on the 314 might improve playability a notable amount or hardly at all.  It depends on its current setup and your preferences.
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw

TaylorDude

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 10:52:49 PM »
I recon professional setup would be a waste of money. The only thing you may need to do is take a fraction off the saddle which you can do yourself if you do some research. This will lower your action a bit and make playing with heavier strings a little easier.

I've done it with my 916 and 914 and they are a dream to play!

I come from a land down under!

www.adamrichards.com

2013 Taylor 214
2012 Fender USA Deluxe Telecaster
2011 Taylor 916ce
2010 Taylor 914ce DMSM

Past Loves....

2011 Taylor GS Mini
2006 Taylor 710e
2010 GS8e
2003 310ce

The G

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 11:54:44 PM »
I have had my 314ce for almost 2 years.  I love it.  I recently bought a fender strat and had is professionally set up.  I was amazed at the difference in playability.  With my Taylor, it is near impossible to ben on the first 2 frets.  I have tried light strings.  My fingers are not weak and I give a good bit of *umf* to only bend up a half step at most.  2 questions....is a porfessional set up needed or recomended for a new 314 ce and would it help with the bending?

Thanks!

Hi,
 You are  asking if a set up is needed for a new 314CE,but you say you've had it for almost two years? So....
   My opinion is a professional set up would be well worth it after two years . A lot can happen to wood and steel over two years of playing,different environmental changes, humidity,dryness etc... May be the best 40-50$ you ever spend to get your axe "fine tuned" to you're playing style.  But, as others have mentioned ,
don't expect electric guitar string bending capability on an acoustic.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 12:48:37 PM by michaelw »
Cheers,
 Ken
==============================
Gibson J-45 TV
Martin  OM-21
Couch  (Full of 1.14 mm Guitar Picks)