Author Topic: How long should I wait to get Taylor Dealer's Tech to do setup?  (Read 4797 times)

flyingace71

• burnett guitars blog
My dealer offered to have, after I took my GC5e home and played "for a while", his tech do a final setup. How long is "a while"?

The guitar is a NOS 2007, so i'd think it was pretty settled in. The humidity in my home is a bit higher than the shop it was in (55% opposed to 45%) and I can't seem to get it to drop without the use of a dehumidifier until the AC starts kicking on more. I use a humidifier all winter to keep my room at 45%. Temps around 72 to 75.

How long should I wait to take it back and get lower action set up?

Thanks!
2007 Taylor GC5e
Kala Acacia Tenor Ukulele
Fender Guitars & Amps
Korg & Roland Keyboards

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: How long should I wait to get Taylor Dealer's Tech to do setup?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 10:57:28 AM »
When I purchased a NOS 2008 414ce, that store didn't have an authorized Taylor tech on staff. I called Taylor and asked how I could get a set up done since the action was too high, and I was given either a 1 week or a 2 week window to have it covered under warranty somewhere else. To be covered, the action has to be out of specs. At 4/32" it was out of specs according to them.

Is the tech an authorized Taylor repair guy? If your guitar needs a neck reset and their tech isn't a Taylor luthier, then I'd call Taylor and ask. My 414ce needed a neck reset which was done at another store and covered under warranty. :)
Cindy

flyingace71

• burnett guitars blog
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 11:21:46 AM »
Thanks Cindy. Not sure if their tech is authorized or not. I'll measure my string height and see if it's in spec. If not, I can have the tech listed on their site in my area work on it instead of the dealer's "tech".
2007 Taylor GC5e
Fender Guitars & Amps
Korg & Roland Keyboards

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 09:25:16 AM »
It's probably a bad idea that people get the idea in their head that set-ups are covered under warranty. They're not. If it's been done in the past, it's likely that it was a Customer Service Rep showing the customer some love and seeing to it that the customer didn't have to pay for it. Set-ups are "regular maintenance".

Also, I've seen plenty of techs who were not "authorized" do set-ups and neck resets on Taylors. It's not rocket science. I've even seen instances of someone at Customer Service talking a tech through the process over the phone. It may not be common, but it's happened...
No one has ever been on their death-bed wishing they'd been more practical...

flyingace71

• burnett guitars blog
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 09:59:01 AM »
I have my own luthier tech here closer to me that does all the major work on my other instruments, so I have no problem paying for setups and actually add that to the price of any instrument I buy. But b/c the dealer offered this service, I was going to take him up on it.

I was just wondering how long I should wait to get them to do it. What is the "settling" in to my home timeframe?
2007 Taylor GC5e
Fender Guitars & Amps
Korg & Roland Keyboards

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 03:56:48 PM »
It's probably a bad idea that people get the idea in their head that set-ups are covered under warranty. They're not. If it's been done in the past, it's likely that it was a Customer Service Rep showing the customer some love and seeing to it that the customer didn't have to pay for it. Set-ups are "regular maintenance".

Also, I've seen plenty of techs who were not "authorized" do set-ups and neck resets on Taylors. It's not rocket science. I've even seen instances of someone at Customer Service talking a tech through the process over the phone. It may not be common, but it's happened...

If in question, people should contact Taylor's customer service. That's what I did and had no trouble having it authorized. However, people DO need to call customer service...
Cindy

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 04:46:54 PM »
If in question, people should contact Taylor's customer service. That's what I did and had no trouble having it authorized. However, people DO need to call customer service...

I have no doubt that you had no trouble getting it authorized.

This time.

If you think it's going to be authorized every time you need a set-up, you're mistaken...

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 05:22:40 PM »

I have no doubt that you had no trouble getting it authorized.

This time.

If you think it's going to be authorized every time you need a set-up, you're mistaken...
Never said it would be covered everytime. :)

It does put the customer in a compromising position to have stores sell Taylors if a store doesn't have an authorized Taylor luthier. Doesn't hurt to see if something can be worked out though. Not saying it will...it just doesn't hurt to ask. ;)
Cindy

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 11:27:08 PM »
Never said it would be covered everytime. :)

I'm just saying that's how it sounded...

It does put the customer in a compromising position to have stores sell Taylors if a store doesn't have an authorized Taylor luthier. Doesn't hurt to see if something can be worked out though. Not saying it will...it just doesn't hurt to ask. ;)

I think you would be surprised to learn just how few "authorized Taylor luthiers" are actually out there. Only now are they getting a program put in place for that...

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 08:23:32 AM »
How long is "a while?

In answer to your original question, a week should be enough if the conditions in your home are fairly consistent. That is no daily swings of more than a couple degrees of temp/humidity.

Guitars are like tropical fish. They acclimate pretty quick.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

edman

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 04:04:43 PM »
Do you need a setup?

Does the action feel too high?

Do you have fret buzz?

flyingace71

• burnett guitars blog
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 04:12:14 PM »
Yes, I now believe that I do. Last night I pull the guitar out of it's case and it was buzzing like crazy. Time to let a pro take a look.
2007 Taylor GC5e
Fender Guitars & Amps
Korg & Roland Keyboards

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 06:06:34 PM »
My feeling is that the dealer should do the first set up at no cost,  but this is not a warranty service this is just good customer service that most any dealer would offer.  Also I don't believe that people should expect the dealer to do this for you for free every time you don't think you guitar sounds right, it is your instrument and your are responsible for it.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

flyingace71

• burnett guitars blog
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 12:55:41 PM »
I ended up last weekend taking to the authorized taylor tech and he did an excellent job setting my guitar up. only charged $30 which included a new set of elixirs. Plays great! Love it!
2007 Taylor GC5e
Fender Guitars & Amps
Korg & Roland Keyboards

Steve

• Veteran Member
    • Steve Parr Photography
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 01:20:15 PM »
My feeling is that the dealer should do the first set up at no cost...

That depends.

I had plenty of customers who would grind me on price, and then expect all kinds of freebies.

Yeah. Not so much...