Author Topic: Ziricote?  (Read 19711 times)

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
Re: Zirocote?
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2012, 11:39:07 PM »
i think that venturing outside of what some may  consider to be 'traditional standard tonewoods'
(mahogany, rosewood & maple) that walnut could be a very viable option, in terms of tone,
aesthetics & value per $ spent & models i've played i found that i prefer the response of claro
over grafted & either the snap' of sitka or the warmth of cedar over an engelmann top -
a bit more clarity & definition than ovangkol & a bit more 'balanced' than imbuia, but
it also depends on what one's tonal preferences are (i like ovangkol & imbuia too)

a redwood/'fiddleback' walnut adi CV BTO could be done for right in
the 800 series range, provided the other options are kept 'in-check'

hmm ...  ???

I bet you find it!  What do you think about walnut?  I was in his store on Sunday and he had a w16 and w14...I strummed the 16 and man, it sounded clean...not nearly as rare as ziricote, but I enjoyed the tone...for me, it was brighter than my EIR, but not too bright, as I'm now finding maple to be...

I have played a walnut GA and really liked the tone. Problem was it was all walnut including the top. A really heavy guitar. But I think you guys are right the tone may resemble Ziricote in terms of clarity. It's definitely an option.

I am certainly not pressed right now to pick up another guitar. Plenty of sweethearts in the stable right now. But if the right Ziricote happens to materialize I may not be able to resist.

And Doug, you know there is the modify button.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

dougboy1970

Re: Zirocote?
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2012, 12:05:17 AM »

And Doug, you know there is the modify button.[/font][/size]
[/quote]

Thanks, modified! Phew, that feels better!