Author Topic: So whats all the hub bub over the GS mini  (Read 27957 times)

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
Re: So whats all the hub bub over the GS mini
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2012, 08:07:14 PM »
I have been working specs for a Ziricote GC BTO with Ted at L.A. Guitar (if and when they get some Ziri). I asked if he thought a maple neck would add anything and he indicated, although it is possible to request it, he would not suggest it. Haven't followed up to determine why but it certainly leads me to believe that Taylor would build it that way if requested.
The problem is that if Taylor uses a maple neck it has to share branding with Fender.

(that's a JOKE son.)
i must've missed the memo :-\
i guess these may be needing to take a trip to corona then ;)

i've heard that the density of maple may  not 'resonate' particularly well
('matched-perfect' & 'staggered-special' ;) ) with some tonewoods,
but if it (maple) were to be stained in a satin clearwater brown finish as used on
the 02 fall 300LTD maples, it would make for a very nice looking/playing neck, imho :D
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2012, 06:37:30 PM »
The ES-GO pickup arrived today.  I've been working on some boat projects, so I didn't get a chance to put it on until this afternoon.  After reading a lot of less than stellar reviews, I kinda held my breath.  Before installing it, I plugged a cable into the pickup and tried it direct into my Bose PA... no buzz.  Turned it way up... a very faint buzz that disappeared when I held the pickup in the playing position.  I decided to go ahead and install it.  After tracking down an electrical problem on some integrated boat electronics, this was a walk in the park.   8)  I loosened the strings rather than remove them, and the install really did take about 5 minutes... one in a row!

I plugged it into the Bose, and... it was better than I expected.  A bit less on the lows than I had hoped for, but that was with no EQ.  I plugged it into the small Roland and... my wife came in and said, "Hey, that sounds good."  Having more adjustment sure helped.  It sounds better on a clean setting than the acoustic setting.

This will be the easy amplification I was hoping for to use on the boat.  It will be nice to have the pickup on the GS-Mini for the occasional dock gatherings that come up.

I'm pleased.  :)

Best wishes,
Captn Jim
2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

dougboy1970

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2012, 07:38:33 AM »
The ES-GO pickup arrived today.  I've been working on some boat projects, so I didn't get a chance to put it on until this afternoon.  After reading a lot of less than stellar reviews, I kinda held my breath.  Before installing it, I plugged a cable into the pickup and tried it direct into my Bose PA... no buzz.  Turned it way up... a very faint buzz that disappeared when I held the pickup in the playing position.  I decided to go ahead and install it.  After tracking down an electrical problem on some integrated boat electronics, this was a walk in the park.   8)  I loosened the strings rather than remove them, and the install really did take about 5 minutes... one in a row!

I plugged it into the Bose, and... it was better than I expected.  A bit less on the lows than I had hoped for, but that was with no EQ.  I plugged it into the small Roland and... my wife came in and said, "Hey, that sounds good."  Having more adjustment sure helped.  It sounds better on a clean setting than the acoustic setting.

This will be the easy amplification I was hoping for to use on the boat.  It will be nice to have the pickup on the GS-Mini for the occasional dock gatherings that come up.

Best wishes,
Captn Jim

If you use a TRS (Balanced Cable) rather than a standard guitar cable you will get plenty of rumble from you ES Go in your GS Mini.  The ES Go, like the standard ES, is setup to perform its best through a TRS Cable. 

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2012, 09:11:29 AM »

Best wishes,
Captn Jim

If you use a TRS (Balanced Cable) rather than a standard guitar cable you will get plenty of rumble from you ES Go in your GS Mini.  The ES Go, like the standard ES, is setup to perform its best through a TRS Cable.

I'll give that a try.  Thanks for the suggestion.
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2012, 02:29:15 PM »

Best wishes,
Captn Jim

I'll give that a try.  Thanks for the suggestion.

OK, one more question, since we are in the boonies right now and not able to just run to the nearest guitar store: I was thinking about buying a Taylor V-Cable for the Mini, but it does not appear to be a TRS Cable (from the image on Taylor's site... so, a TRS vs the V-Cable?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Captn Jim
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2012, 06:26:44 PM »
Well, we made it to the big city today... I picked up both a TRS balanced cable and the Taylor V-Cable, and the difference between either of those cables and my regular ol' guitar cables is... nothing. :-\  And by that, I mean: no difference.  OK, the V-cable is very nice, mostly to be able to switch guitars without turning the PA/amp off or to standby.  But, really, there is NO difference in the sound (volume or tone) with the GS-Mini and those cables.  Did I mention: no difference?  It's not that the ES-Go sounds bad, it just sounds more "electric".  Still better than no pickup for the times I want to amplify, and it is going to be a great addition for traveling.

Just thought I'd pass the hands-on info along.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2012, 07:35:39 PM »
Thanks for the info Captain,  but that leaves me still not knowing weather I get a es-go or not, I am still wondering should I get a different p/u to produce a more acoustic sound?   So, if you had no cable at all which one do you think you would choose, the V-cable?
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

dougboy1970

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2012, 08:26:48 PM »
Hey Captain Jim...sorry you spent so much dough and found the ES Go to sound the same with both cables...I haven't had a chance to check the forum this week (taxes!) I don't have the Taylor V Cable, so I only had a regular cable to compare to.  I found a significant difference between the trs cable and the regular guitar cable when using my ES Go system.  The TRS seemed much broader in tone than the narrow sound I was getting with the regular cable.  The ESGo system is definitely not as good as a regular ES, but it's definitely better than I thought using the TRS cable than when playing through a regular cable.  Perhaps the Taylor V cable is also TRS (you can tell if there's two rings on the connection points) and this is why you're not hearing a difference.  If that's the case and you want to sell the cable, I'd sure consider it!  I'm definitely going to buy another TRS cable for myself as well.

PS. I am, however, while using the TRS cable through the ESGo having to compensate with A LOT of volume compared to when I use my GS8 with a regular ES...

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2012, 08:53:16 PM »
Thanks for the info Captain,  but that leaves me still not knowing weather I get a es-go or not, I am still wondering should I get a different p/u to produce a more acoustic sound?   So, if you had no cable at all which one do you think you would choose, the V-cable?

Well, I've got a bunch of cables, but the V-Cable is a great idea, whether your guitar has volume control or not.  Since the cable (V, TSR, balanced, not) doesn't seem to make a difference with the GS-Mini, any one will work.  I like the convenience of the V-Cable, and think it will be my first choice... for now.

I hope I'm not giving the wrong impression with the ES-Go... many of the reviews I read said that it sounded "tinny," so I wasn't expecting much.  It truly is better than I expected.  My only complaint is it seems a bit weak on the bass E.  That is in comparison to other acoustic/electrics I've used.  I'm still new at this Taylor stuff, and I really wasn't expecting to do much with the electric part.  These guitars have made me want to play more again, including the GS-Mini.  The ES-Go is just so simple: pretty much plug and play.  EQ it a bit, and it is fine.  Not as pretty sounding as the pure acoustic sound coming off the guitar, but I'd rather have this set up for travel than anything else I played.

Would I use it to play in public?  Absolutely, and I have a few things planned for our upcoming boat travels.  I haven't made my living as a professional musician for over 30 years, but I am a big believer in "the right tool for the job."  No doubt one could find a different pickup that may sound more "acoustic," but the ES-Go is easy and slick.  Making a few adjustments to get the sound that pleases me isn't a big deal.  I really like this guitar, and the ES-Go is part of that package.

I can't tell you whether or not you should buy the ES-Go, but I'm pleased with it, for what it is and what it does.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2012, 09:10:04 PM »
Hey Captain Jim...sorry you spent so much dough and found the ES Go to sound the same with both cables...I haven't had a chance to check the forum this week (taxes!) I don't have the Taylor V Cable, so I only had a regular cable to compare to.  I found a significant difference between the trs cable and the regular guitar cable when using my ES Go system.  The TRS seemed much broader in tone than the narrow sound I was getting with the regular cable.  The ESGo system is definitely not as good as a regular ES, but it's definitely better than I thought using the TRS cable than when playing through a regular cable.  Perhaps the Taylor V cable is also TRS (you can tell if there's two rings on the connection points) and this is why you're not hearing a difference.  If that's the case and you want to sell the cable, I'd sure consider it!  I'm definitely going to buy another TRS cable for myself as well.

PS. I am, however, while using the TRS cable through the ESGo having to compensate with A LOT of volume compared to when I use my GS8 with a regular ES...

Hey Dougboy,

No problem.  I'm glad you could hear a difference with the TRS cable.  I tried it in both the Bose PA and the Roland amp and couldn't hear any difference from my regular guitar cables.  The V-Cable is not TRS, but I knew that going into it.  I wasn't expecting anyone to make my buying decisions for me.  Having an extra cable is like having extra strings and picks... eventually it'll get used.  The V-Cable isn't cheap, but Guitar Center price matched, so it wasn't outrageous.  I really like the V-Cable.

I have the ES-T on my 114ce, and the ES-Go is definitely quieter (as you'd expect from a passive pickup).  But, the Mini is just a neat little travel guitar and the ES-Go is fine for my needs.

My travel guitar previously was an Ovation... I figured the water environment couldn't hurt that plastic back.   ;)  Not an indictment of that guitar, I had it 14 years and enjoyed it; but, it sounded better amplified than it did acoustic.  Just the opposite for the Mini, but I will be playing more unplugged than plugged.  It works for me.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

dougboy1970

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2012, 09:55:52 PM »
Captain Jim, thanks for being a good sport...I feel kind of bad that you didn't find a difference.  My pa is the soloamp, maybe that's part of it, but you have a bose which I understand is just a better soloamp, so surely you would have heard something...I'm going to try it again, perhaps I was just so excited about having the TRS cable for my regular ES that it bled over to my mini...but for me, it seems to sound significantly better (though I have to jack up the volume).  I was actually surprised that the ES Go was set up for the balanced cable to begin with.  Oh, well.  I still feel bad for you, but am glad you have a cable you can control the volume with and also the trs cable for when you get your next Taylor with the full ES system!

ctkarslake

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2012, 09:58:38 AM »
I for one was amazed to see the new options for the GS Mini.  If only they weren't laminated, the difference may be worth investigating further and not so cosmetic.  As it stands now (still), the original (spruce top) and the hog top are the two I would A/B (and probably go for a hog top)...but those new back/side woods sure are pretty!  Way to go Taylor!
1989 712
1992 410
1992 412
1995 410
1995 422
1996 412-M
1996 450
1997 412
1997 420-R
2007 GC3

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2012, 10:31:49 AM »
Well, we made it to the big city today... I picked up both a TRS balanced cable and the Taylor V-Cable, and the difference between either of those cables and my regular ol' guitar cables is... nothing. :-\  And by that, I mean: no difference.  OK, the V-cable is very nice, mostly to be able to switch guitars without turning the PA/amp off or to standby.  But, really, there is NO difference in the sound (volume or tone) with the GS-Mini and those cables.  Did I mention: no difference?  It's not that the ES-Go sounds bad, it just sounds more "electric".  Still better than no pickup for the times I want to amplify, and it is going to be a great addition for traveling.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim

Just to be clear about the TRS and balanced-cables, it is only the "ES" preamp that utilizes the tip-ring-sleeve (TRS) pinouts of a "balanced" cable.  If a preamp is not designed for low-impedance, using said cable offers zero difference ...just as you noticed, Jim.  The ES-T on the 100/200 line are not designed for low-z, and from what I've read (never had one in my hands) neither is the ES-Go.  This is why there is no difference here because these systems were meant to function with a regular guit cable.  Use a balanced line with a 300-up equipped ES and you will undoubtedly hear a marked difference in signal strength.  Hope that helps a bit :)

Edward

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2012, 01:08:50 PM »

Best wishes,
Captain Jim

Just to be clear about the TRS and balanced-cables, it is only the "ES" preamp that utilizes the tip-ring-sleeve (TRS) pinouts of a "balanced" cable.  If a preamp is not designed for low-impedance, using said cable offers zero difference ...just as you noticed, Jim.  The ES-T on the 100/200 line are not designed for low-z, and from what I've read (never had one in my hands) neither is the ES-Go.  This is why there is no difference here because these systems were meant to function with a regular guit cable.  Use a balanced line with a 300-up equipped ES and you will undoubtedly hear a marked difference in signal strength.  Hope that helps a bit :)

Edward

Indeed.  Also, the amp makes a world of difference, too.  I was an electric guitar player most of my life, and ran guitars through a Marshall stack, and various Fender amps (my favorite was the Twin Reverb with an extension cabinet with 4 12s).  LOTS of tone control with my ES-335, but the amp still makes a big difference.

Back to the GSmini, it sounds completely different running it through the Bose PA vs the Roland small amp.  Even though the Roland has an "acoustic" setting, it is not a true acoustic amp.  Set it on a clean setting, adjust the tone with the onboard controls, dial in a tiny bit of chorus and reverb, and I am SO enjoying the GSmini with the ES-Go.

I've done a bunch of A/B with the 114 and the Mini (really nice use of that V-Cable  ;))... and they are different.  Not better or worse, just different.  For my tastes, the 114 sounds better in the Bose and the Mini sounds better in the Roland.  Nice, because that's the way I'll be using them.  8)

It takes my fingers a moment to adjust to the different scale.  Otherwise, I am likin' 'em both!

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini

dougboy1970

« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2012, 01:10:08 PM »

Best wishes,
Captain Jim

Edward

I was looking at a picture of the internals on the ES Go and I saw that the cable that plugs directly into the pickup did indeed have two rings on it, which gave me the idea that it was a TRS cable...

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=taylor+es+go&hl=en&client=safari&sa=X&rls=en&biw=1074&bih=605&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=41roHtHPrg51hM:&imgrefurl=http://www.buyfromchucks.com/products/Taylor-ES-Go-Pickup-320635.html&docid=hN5piestHmwZFM&imgurl=http://www.buyfromchucks.com/images/products/large/ES-Go.jpg&w=1000&h=1000&ei=oFGMT_joFomY8gS484zMCQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=115&vpy=240&dur=4475&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=78&ty=118&sig=102327397733998100736&page=1&tbnh=135&tbnw=135&start=0&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:75