Author Topic: Got to play the nice stuff yesterday...  (Read 3045 times)

Christhee68

• Veteran Member
Got to play the nice stuff yesterday...
« on: August 18, 2016, 09:16:46 AM »
I took my 314ce into my local dealer to have a little work done on it, and after explaining what I need to have done, the guy says "Let me take this in the back and take a look. While you're waiting check this out" --and hands me a 914ce. Then he says, "While you're at it, check this one out, too" and hands me a 614ce.

Then he sends me off into the acoustic room with both while he checks out my guitar and helps other customers.

My brief observation--The bling on the 914ce was just unreal. So super-nice and upscale. I never really cared much for an arm rest before, but after playing this for a few minutes, I could tell the arm rest felt really comfortable.

The 614ce was WOW! to me. I liked the tone better than the 914ce, but I couldn't really say why, and the beautiful understated appointments were just perfect. It was nice, but not too nice. If I was going to buy one, the 614ce would be it.

I know there are a lot better reviews by those more knowledgeable than I, but those are my brief layman's observations. And I have to say, after playing those two back and forth for about 30 minutes, I still kept reaching for the 320e they had sitting out. There's something about that one that I really like, too.  Regardless, I've got my great 314ce to keep me company, and I can't really complain about that.
2013 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin D-18
1982 Martin HD-28
2004 Fender Telecaster
2010 Martin X-Series
Mid 80's Sigma DM-3

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Got to play the nice stuff yesterday...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 09:48:18 AM »

My brief observation--The bling on the 914ce was just unreal. So super-nice and upscale. I never really cared much for an arm rest before, but after playing this for a few minutes, I could tell the arm rest felt really comfortable.

My observations too. I had never played a guitar with the beveled arm rest, wow....comfy. I couldn't get over the volume and bass with the rosewood.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

crgoddard

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 08:33:23 PM »
I had the same reaction to the 914ce. I visited a dealer out of town this past week who had a nice selection, the 914ce being one of them. After playing for a few minutes I understand now the appeal of the arm rest. Really comfortable and the depth of the bass was surprising to me (in a good sense). Very smooth and visually appealing.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 09:44:27 PM »

My observations too. I had never played a guitar with the beveled arm rest, wow....comfy. I couldn't get over the volume and bass with the rosewood.

That's what I like about my cedar/rosewood BTO GA - the volume and the bass response!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 12:37:31 PM »
Glad you got to try the "good stuff" ...it satisfies much the "I wonder if," and at times even satisfy the GAS guitarists often get when seeing/reading the "nicer" guits.  That said, it's always enormously satisfying to confirm that what you have at home is all you want and need!  Perhaps like many, I go to the RoadShows or visit various "high end" rooms to see what awesome guitars have emerged, but after playing them, I have a deep satisfaction for what waits for me at home ...priceless! :D

On the armrest, I love it; very comfortable, as if allowing the body to melt into yours.  But I'd personally never pay new prices for it; depreciated price perhaps, but new, it's more cost-than-value for this guy.

Edward

Craig

• Veteran Member
  • More guitars than talent but working on it.
    • UTGF Members Map.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 12:49:30 PM »
I've had my hands on the good stuff too.
I tried a couple of the new 914ce's at local shops. They are absolutely beautiful to look at but very bright sounding, almost as if they had 80/20's on.
I think I'll wait till someone gets a 916ce in  :)

Craig
1978 Music Man Sabre II
1980's Charvel Model 6
2014 816ce First Edition
2014 714ce FLTD Sassafras
2014 K24ce with AA top and Gotoh 510 tuners
2016 GS Mini e Koa
2015 Custom GS Mun Ebony and Engelmann Spruce
2017 Avalon A2-20c
And an Eastman Mandolin!

Visit the UTGF Members Map
http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1258011

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 08:41:05 PM »
...I tried a couple of the new 914ce's at local shops. They are absolutely beautiful to look at but very bright sounding, almost as if they had 80/20's on.
Craig

My thoughts, as well.  Apart from its obvious aesthetics, the 916 is a lovely-sounding guitar, and definitely worth waiting for over its GA brother, IMHO :)

Edward

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 09:18:47 PM »
...I tried a couple of the new 914ce's at local shops. They are absolutely beautiful to look at but very bright sounding, almost as if they had 80/20's on.
Craig

My thoughts, as well.  Apart from its obvious aesthetics, the 916 is a lovely-sounding guitar, and definitely worth waiting for over its GA brother, IMHO :)

Edward

That's why I like cedar over rosewood on a GA. It tends to warm up an otherwise bright tone on the treble strings and compensate for the midrange scoop.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 02:43:52 PM »
We are kindred guitarists, friend!  My fave combo is cedar/RW for the exact reason: middy presence and warmth over midrange scoop!  :D

Edward

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 04:22:52 PM »
Has Taylor ever offered cedar on the 900 series?
Susie

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 05:50:01 PM »
Only as an option, I believe....

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 07:12:31 PM »
Only as an option, I believe....
I see on the other series that those options for tops are listed. But, I don't see the option for a cedar top offered in the 900 series.

So, with the rosewood, a cedar top softens the brightness that you get with the spruce top.....do you lose some of the bass response of the rosewood?
Susie

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 07:49:44 PM »
The cedar top option used uto be available for all 500 series and up guitars. That option seems to have disappeared from all the series that now feature the new ultra thin finish. Before I ordered my cedar rosewood BTO,  I was thinking of ordering an 814 or a 914 with a cedar top, but that option was no longer available.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 02:59:05 PM »
The cedar top option used uto be available for all 500 series and up guitars. That option seems to have disappeared from all the series that now feature the new ultra thin finish. Before I ordered my cedar rosewood BTO,  I was thinking of ordering an 814 or a 914 with a cedar top, but that option was no longer available.
Yup, I called Taylor and they confirmed this. The new finish and the bracing are the reasons the cedar isn't available on the 914. At least that's what they told me.

Susie

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 09:11:24 PM »
Yup, I called Taylor and they confirmed this. The new finish and the bracing are the reasons the cedar isn't available on the 914. At least that's what they told me.

Willcutt has some nice custom Cedar/Cocobolo GAs....   8)

http://willcuttguitars.com/CatalogueRetrieve.aspx?ProductID=9028585&A=SearchResult&SearchID=9320988&ObjectID=9028585&ObjectType=27

"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa