Author Topic: any fancy GS minis without electronics?  (Read 4586 times)

terrypl

any fancy GS minis without electronics?
« on: August 05, 2016, 11:50:07 AM »
I had a mahogany-top GS mini that was a fun addition to my guitar collection, but my daughter "kidnapped" it. I'd like to get another one, but something different this time, such as one with koa or rosewood veneer. But it seems that all the "fancier" GS minis have electronics, which I don't want.

Do fancier GS minis exist without electronics?

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Re: any fancy GS minis without electronics?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 12:29:25 PM »
I haven't followed the GS Mini line much, so I don't know off-hand whether a no-electronics version of, say, the GS Mini Koa is currently available; check the Taylor web site.  Not so many years ago (3-4 to be exact), the GS Mini line came standard without any electronics, and Taylor offered an extra-price, drop-in component called ES-Go to provide an acoustic pick-up for the GS Mini.

If none are available sans the electronics in the currently line-up, you can try looking for a GS Mini that's 3-4 years old; about that time the standard body laminate was Sapele, but there were a couple of limited editions that came out with different laminates and no onboard electronics:  Blackwood, Maple, and Rosewood (2012 Spring Limiteds); and Koa and Rosewood (Fall 2013).
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

terrypl

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 01:02:48 PM »
I haven't looked that hard, but whenever I have browsed eBay or other sales sites, I haven't seen any GS minis offered with fancier veneers and no electronics. Maybe they are out there from a few years ago. Perhaps people just like to hold on to them, so don't offer them for sale!

DannyF

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 04:03:18 PM »
I have a GS Mini Koa with built in electronics and a GS Mini Rosewood that I added the ES-Go to it, I also had a Mahogany one.
There's only a slight difference with the Koa being the better one in sound and looks, in my opinion.
The 3 knobs on top are never any hindrance, so I prefer them over the non electronic ones.
:D Danny

terrypl

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 11:12:50 PM »
I do like the look of those koa GS minis, but I really don't want one with electronics for a couple of reasons — I don't want to pay for something I would never use, and I really think the knobs detract from the all-natural look I'd like it have. I don't mind the knobs on a guitar that I would actually use for a live gig. But I liked my mahogany mini as an always available TV room guitar, not one that would replace one of my higher-end acoustics. Hope Taylor releases some other options for non-electric GS minis.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 09:35:53 PM »
... Do fancier GS minis exist without electronics?
there was the blackwood LTD
https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/gs-mini-blackwood

& the holden village maple mini with engelmann top in 2014
http://www.holdenvillage.org/book/holden-guitar/
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 04:48:11 AM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Jscrofani

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 03:51:55 PM »
I recently saw a GS Mini Koa with tortoise (tape) binding and fretboard decals that looked like the Cindy inlay. It looked Awesome. 

Minnesotaman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 10:46:30 PM »
I had a mahogany-top GS mini that was a fun addition to my guitar collection, but my daughter "kidnapped" it. I'd like to get another one, but something different this time, such as one with koa or rosewood veneer. But it seems that all the "fancier" GS minis have electronics, which I don't want.

Do fancier GS minis exist without electronics?
I was just on the Taylor website looking to see if they could add electronics to my 412r (they can). They also stated that any of their guitars with electronics can be ordered without electronics. Just talk to your local dealer and they can order it for you.

terrypl

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 03:21:52 PM »
any of their guitars with electronics can be ordered without electronics. Just talk to your local dealer and they can order it for you.

Good to know! Thanks!

Minnesotaman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 07:30:48 PM »
You're welcome, glad I could help.