Author Topic: Just bought a new Taylor 914ce  (Read 5892 times)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Just bought a new Taylor 914ce
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2016, 07:43:03 PM »
 :o that is classy and elegant. Love the headstock grain. The appointments are just perfect. Congrats again! Thanks for the pictures, but can we see the back too  ::)?
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

tbeltrans

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2016, 08:02:23 PM »
Thanks TaylorGirl!  Here it is.  The wood looks a lot lighter in the picture.  In real life, it is actually typical dark rosewood.

I am really pleasd that this guitar is so comfortable to play.  My concern was that I tend to like a wider fretboard, such as 1 13/16 or 1 7/8.  However, the 914ce fretboard seems to be shaped a bit different from that of the other models and it seems to be comfortable enough for me.  This instrument will get a lot of play. :)

Tony

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2016, 08:14:19 PM »
That's real nice, thanks. Yes, I can imagine it's much darker.....the center strip almost blends in, in the picture.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2016, 08:17:06 PM »
Congratulations on the 914!  I played one several months back and was suitably impressed with it.  On average, I thought it was a better-sounding instrument than the 814.

... One thing I learned from this is that a TINY BIT of adjustment goes a VERY LONG way.  It is all too easy to overdo it and then get string buzzes.  Before I do anything else to the guitar, other than change strings and play it, I will live with it as it is now for quite some time.  I would really not want to ruin such a nice instrument...

Good advice where truss rod adjustments are concerned as well.  When I find that an adjustment is required, I'll usually make only a 1/8-turn on the truss rod bolt and check the results before proceeding with additional adjustment.

Funny you should mention truss rod adjustments. :)  I just ordered two truss rod wrenches from Taylor, one for my 914ce and one for my nylon string guitar.  I also ordered two spare bone saddles for my 914ce, since that is what it comes with, and two spare sets of traditional bridge pins that are just like the ones on my 914ce.  I just figured if I ever do experimenting again, I would feel much better having a couple of spare bone saddles around, as well as some spare bridge pins since they can likewise wear out eventually.  Maybe I should have gotten a Taylor T-shirt, since my Road Show T-shirt is starting to lose the lettering. :)

Frankly, I think once you get your guitar(s) dialed in to your liking you won't have to do much more with them, aside from string changes and an occasional truss rod adjustment.

There was a time when Taylor supplied each guitar with one of their small truss rod wrenches; the oldest Taylor I own is one of the Liberty Tree Guitars (2002 issue) and it came with a truss rod wrench.  But to do adjustments on all of my guitars I just went to Home Depot and picked up a plain ol' nut driver (I think the required size is 3/8", perhaps 1/4", but I'm going from memory) with about a 6- or 8-inch shaft, which will allow the grip to safely clear the headstock.  A set of precision screwdrivers gives me the necessary tools to remove the truss rod covers, and I find the long-shaft nut driver easier to work with than that little wrench.  Sometimes the truss rod bolt is pretty tight, and I'm a bit paranoid about slipping with that short wrench and gouging the finish on my guitar's headstock...
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

tbeltrans

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2016, 08:33:41 PM »
Congratulations on the 914!  I played one several months back and was suitably impressed with it.  On average, I thought it was a better-sounding instrument than the 814.

... One thing I learned from this is that a TINY BIT of adjustment goes a VERY LONG way.  It is all too easy to overdo it and then get string buzzes.  Before I do anything else to the guitar, other than change strings and play it, I will live with it as it is now for quite some time.  I would really not want to ruin such a nice instrument...

Good advice where truss rod adjustments are concerned as well.  When I find that an adjustment is required, I'll usually make only a 1/8-turn on the truss rod bolt and check the results before proceeding with additional adjustment.

Funny you should mention truss rod adjustments. :)  I just ordered two truss rod wrenches from Taylor, one for my 914ce and one for my nylon string guitar.  I also ordered two spare bone saddles for my 914ce, since that is what it comes with, and two spare sets of traditional bridge pins that are just like the ones on my 914ce.  I just figured if I ever do experimenting again, I would feel much better having a couple of spare bone saddles around, as well as some spare bridge pins since they can likewise wear out eventually.  Maybe I should have gotten a Taylor T-shirt, since my Road Show T-shirt is starting to lose the lettering. :)

Frankly, I think once you get your guitar(s) dialed in to your liking you won't have to do much more with them, aside from string changes and an occasional truss rod adjustment.

There was a time when Taylor supplied each guitar with one of their small truss rod wrenches; the oldest Taylor I own is one of the Liberty Tree Guitars (2002 issue) and it came with a truss rod wrench.  But to do adjustments on all of my guitars I just went to Home Depot and picked up a plain ol' nut driver (I think the required size is 3/8", perhaps 1/4", but I'm going from memory) with about a 6- or 8-inch shaft, which will allow the grip to safely clear the headstock.  A set of precision screwdrivers gives me the necessary tools to remove the truss rod covers, and I find the long-shaft nut driver easier to work with than that little wrench.  Sometimes the truss rod bolt is pretty tight, and I'm a bit paranoid about slipping with that short wrench and gouging the finish on my guitar's headstock...

I am fairly certain that I won't need to use the truss rod wrenches any time soon, now that my guitar is setup the way I wanted.  I will always be using the same strings on it, so there should be no reason, aside from environmental seasonal changes, to make any further changes.  I will keep in mind your information about suitable tools at Home Depot.  I picked up at Home Depot today  the sand paper typically used to shave the saddle, as well as the tiny files that I used today to get my guitar to the way I want it.  I feel a real sense of relief that it all worked out so well and nothing went wrong. :)

Tony

tbeltrans

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2016, 08:35:00 PM »
That's real nice, thanks. Yes, I can imagine it's much darker.....the center strip almost blends in, in the picture.

Thanks TaylorGirl!  It really is a nice looking instrument, but so are the many other models Taylor makes.

Tony

Dwalk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2016, 08:44:42 PM »
Congratulations on your new guitar. She is a beauty!
When you're happy you enjoy the music. But, when you're sad you understand the lyrics.

NavyChap

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2016, 09:24:14 PM »
Congrats on the 914ce -- I am toying with getting it's illegitimate twin brother -- a 416ce
2015 Taylor 314ce
1997 Taylor 414ce
2005 Zager ZAD50CE
2016 Seagull S6 Original
2016 Epiphone PR-5E/N

tbeltrans

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2016, 09:40:14 PM »
Congrats on the 914ce -- I am toying with getting it's illegitimate twin brother -- a 416ce

One thing I noticed as I tried various Taylors is that the quality is uniformly high.  If any of the others had the fretboard shaping that the 914ce has, I could easily be happy with most any of the models I tried.  In particular, for some reason, I found the 614ce to be particularly appealing too.  They all seem to bring something unique that would appeal to a player's specific needs.  It seems to me that a person needs to try them all when deciding which one is "it".

This weekend at Guitar Center, with their 15% off coupon, is a good time to buy.

Good luck with your pending 416ce purchase.

Tony

tbeltrans

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2016, 09:41:03 PM »
Congratulations on your new guitar. She is a beauty!

Thanks Dwalk!

Tony