Author Topic: Any "Counterfeit" Taylors Yet?  (Read 9981 times)

HAPPYDAN

Any "Counterfeit" Taylors Yet?
« on: April 22, 2014, 01:15:22 PM »
It seems there are some counterfeit Martin D-45s (purportedly made in China) showing up. These are authentic-looking knock-offs, right down to logo, headstock, branding and serial numbers. But they are in fact inferior (and cheaper) than the real thing. I was wondering if anyone has had an experience with a counterfeit Taylor yet?

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Re: Any "Counterfeit" Taylors Yet?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 01:44:35 PM »
No direct experience, but I've seen a few on eBay.  Mostly, though, they've been awful counterfeits.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

mikeguywest

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 03:09:32 PM »
The best bet is to buy from a reputable dealer, or if through auction sites check the serial number through TG. There are some ridiculously funny looking wannabe's out there. One guy was trying to sell a First Act as a Taylor 110! You could even see the First Act label on the inside. His situation was, to be nice, a regrettable mistake. A couple of people, me included, contacted him about this and he was grateful for the notice and said he would be removing it. Not everybody does these things by mistake though, so buyer beware.

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 01:14:22 AM »
The counterfeits I've seen are entirely of the x10 (dreadnought) body style. They're usually generic Martin-looking guitars with totally fake labels using serial numbers that don't match any scheme ever used by Taylor. They're easy to spot quickly.

(However to be fair, by that criteria some 70s and early 80s Taylors which don't have labels could look like counterfeits!)
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 01:29:19 AM »
there were some fake 710s that showed up on eBay in the past, usually listed by a pawn shop -
they were altered ibanez dreadnought guitars & the most common serial # was 998710951, which
would be a 99 model started on the 10th day of the 87th month (Augly ?) & the 951st guitar of that day

Taylor is getting close to that many guitars a day, but i think
production would to have to increase by about a good 1/3rd

counterfeit 916ce & k24ce models are getting to be a bit more common, with the wrong tuners, no TRC, scarfjoint
around the 3 fret, gloss finish neck. mixing board looking EQ knobs (Bband), unless it has a fishman isys-t preamp
in it, & there's a pretty good chance that the fretboard inlays may not be inlays at all, but actually "overlays"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151239662417
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

HAPPYDAN

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 10:27:44 PM »
Thanks for the input. Looks like I'll take my business to an authorized dealer, and conduct business in person whenever possible. After I saw pictures of the (fake) Martin D-45s, I honestly couldn't tell the difference. And the demos on UTUBE sound convincing, too!

Bernie

• Music Lover
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 09:11:24 AM »
Is it possible for a K24ce to be made in Tecate, Mexico ?
I strongly suspect a counterfeit second-hand guitar on an ad I saw....A K24ce (?) with a 10 digits serial number starting with 2 (supposed to be Tecate plant designation)..., as I found after asking infos about b & s wood, or model name if not known, & receiving a picture of the guitar's label...!?
A guitar "sold for a friend gone to Thailand needing quick cash"... :o

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 11:53:01 AM by Bernie »

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 10:01:39 AM »
No. That's one of Taylor's most expensive models; it's made in El Cajon. I wouldn't be surprised if the counterfeiter copied a label from a 100/200/Baby/GS mini.

Out of morbid curiosity, can you post a link to the ad?
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

Bernie

• Music Lover
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 04:30:08 PM »
No. That's one of Taylor's most expensive models; it's made in El Cajon.
Didn't know much bout' where the work is being done, but I have it sussed out by now...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Jalbert again
I wouldn't be surprised if the counterfeiter copied a label from a 100/200/Baby/GS mini
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hadn't considered that possibility yet. I figured out it started from a genuine Taylor such as 114C or 214C because the neck and the Taylor logo on the headstock looked very real to me. Thought maybe an artist or some craftsman had done some work on his beloved Taylor : the inlay on the fretboard looked very nice, the one on the headstock as well...
Well till I discovered recently markers can be bought & seem easy to use (not as nice of a result on the vid I saw however...).Makes me wonder Stevie !  ???
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Jalbert again
Out of morbid curiosity, can you post a link to the ad?
[End of quote]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I warned the girl who sells the guitar that its label seemed kind of counterfeit, and to mind her being possibly manipulated if she would be sincere in her willing to help "her friend" !?
See the ad ? French website for(usually)private sales...Gave a phone number when I asked for more info...(she's not supposed to know anything about guitars)...worries me a bit.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 05:01:09 PM »
Run!  Run like the wind, and in the opposite direction.  This has all the earmarks of an online scam, with a fake guitar as bait for the gullible and ignorant.

I have not seen any fakes in person, but I see them occasionally in on-line listings.  There are usually the "I don't know anything about guitars, I'm just selling it for  a friend" lines, and other tell tale signs.  If they cannot or will not give you a serial number to check out for legitimacy with Taylor, that is red flag #2.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Bernie

• Music Lover
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 07:06:07 PM »
Forgot to say the guitar was only announced as a "folk acoustic guitar, excellent condition"...No name, no brand or model number : just a price - about $750 - & location...Had to click on the ad to see other pictures & details, and the make on one of them...Kind of strange.
But I think you are right Earl, better forget about it.
Bernie
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 07:08:31 PM by Bernie »

Bernie

• Music Lover
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 10:27:40 AM »
https://www.leboncoin.fr/instruments_de_musique/970872135.htm?ca=21_s
What you think Jalbert - and others..?
Hundred per cent laminated wood (save the forests), guaranteed plastic peg-headst (save the elephants), genuine decal overlays (save the seas & seashells)...Do not sound like a posh Taylor owner...
ideal for my next single "anarchy in the u.s."!  :-\ ;)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 10:55:17 AM by Bernie »

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 10:58:26 AM »
https://www.leboncoin.fr/instruments_de_musique/970872135.htm?ca=21_s
What you think Jalbert - and others..?
Hundred per cent laminated wood (save the forests), guaranteed plastic peg-headst (save the elephants), genuine decal overlays (save the seas & seashells)...Do not sound like a posh Taylor owner...
ideal for my next single "anarchy in the u.s."!  :-\ ;)

That is definitely not a Taylor. The bridge, the headstock, the cutaway are all examples of a bad copy.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 03:14:53 PM by Strumming Fool »
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Bernie

• Music Lover
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 02:48:12 PM »
Yes headstock does not seem to be as wide as on Taylor guitars, and the color of the bridge, its shape do not look quite right I agree...
It's not that obvious - considering the poor quality of the photographs - to notice if not used to Taylor guitars though, and even if so...(seems to me you confused a GC or GA with a dread on an other thread lately didn't you?). Thanks for support anyhow, as I had doubts even recently (obviously not a K24, but maybe one with a narrow neck(1 & 11/16") such as 114s or 214s to possibly justify headstock's width(!?).Not used to them.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 03:19:12 PM »

(seems to me you confused a GC or GA with a dread on an other thread lately didn't you?).

I think you've confused me with someone else....
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood