Author Topic: GS Mini twang  (Read 2875 times)

mikeguywest

GS Mini twang
« on: June 27, 2013, 05:02:20 PM »
Do any of you GS Mini owners get a twangy/buzz when playing your B, high E, and to some extent the G strings? I'm typically a heavy handed strummer, and I try to tame myself when playing this small body, but I still seem to get that twangy sound when playing those strings (e.g. chords D, D7, G, A). The neck is nice and straight, so I don't think the truss rod is an issue. I'm thinking of raising the action a tad at the saddle the next time I change my strings. Would that tame the twang?

gian

Re: GS Mini twang
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 09:47:18 PM »
I notice on my GS Mini (spruce) that the B string does buzz in certain parts of the neck. It is driving me crazy.

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 02:23:07 AM »
 I'm rather heavy-handed myself.  ;D

My Mini (spruce/sapele) is fairly new, so I've had some fun putting her through the paces. If I use a pick, it's a Dunlop Gator Grip .58mm.

I really like how she sounds without using a pick. Fingerpicking isn't my thing, but it's fun to try on my Mini. My right thumb has developed a callus. Strumming with my fingernail (right index finger) keeps me from pushing her too hard. With a lighter touch, I can strum her much faster.

Gonna add some mini Gotoh 510's (got 'em already, I'm just slack). I did remove the factory pickguard, then realized a non-gloss top probably needed one (it did). So, I added a gloss rosewood pickguard. Problem solved.

Maybe different strings will help solve your twang problem? I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions and sound advice from the gang.  :)

Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

GSMAN

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 03:53:36 AM »
I get rattle on the b string. I also get a thump sound on some notes near the bridge. Not a big deal IMO.

Overall I love the guitar. I find it more useful for practicing when I don't want to play a big dread.

I wish I could get rid of some of the zing though. I recorded with it a last year (nothing serious) and listening back sounds tiny and not round. I played a few of the Mahogany tops and I thought it sounded a little too warm.

paulin

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 06:14:14 PM »
My 2012 GSM hog top had that dreaded rattle/plink others have noted on the G string.   In fact, all the GSMs I played last year had it.  Some believe Taylor cut the nut slot too deep and/or wide. 

I followed someone's advise and put a small piece of moderately thick paper in the offending nut slot under the string and that fixed it.  More recently I've replaced the string with one that is .002 larger and also solved the problem. 

Paulin

mikeguywest

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 05:52:48 PM »
Thanks for the input. I was already planning on putting Elixir PB's on the next time to see if that helps, and I'll check the nut depths. I'll leave the Nubone saddle and will be changing out the plastic pins for ebony.

Flgatorgirl

• Well behaved women rarely make history
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 04:23:13 PM »
I changed out the nut, saddle and bridge pins on my GS Mini to Tusq and narry a problem. She sounds sweeter too!  :D
"As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot."
     John Lennon

2014 Taylor GS Mini Holden Village
2013 Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
2014 Taylor 2014ce - FOR SALE
2012 Epiphone Wilshire Phant-o-matic

mikeguywest

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 04:35:11 PM »
Getting rid of the "twang" ended up being a simple truss rod adjustment. It seems that the truss rods are a bit tight on the Mini's from the factory, and need to be loosened a bit. This raised the action a bit, but not to noticeable. Now I'm playing without near the frustration as before.