Author Topic: Wood bridge pins  (Read 1150 times)

MikeB

Wood bridge pins
« on: August 15, 2013, 04:34:25 PM »
Anyone substituted solid wood bridge pins for the factory ones?  I put some boxwood ones on my older Fender a/e, not sure it made much of a difference in the sound or not.  ::)   There are so many wood materials available, as well, from ebony to maple and rosewood.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 08:50:25 AM by MikeB »

jerrytubes

Re: Wood bridge pins
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 04:52:19 PM »
From my past experience, bridge pins don't make a noticeable sound change.  I've gone from ebony to bone on my 314ce.  They look better, but...........

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 05:33:34 PM »
I have experienced a difference in sound when I've gone from wood (ebony) to other materials (bone, water buffalo horn). It's subtle, but it's there. Both materials add a little bit of "jump out" presence, but the bone tends to "fatten" that presence a bit more.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 06:51:11 PM »
I think there MIGHT have been a slight difference between the oem wood and bone pins on my 414CE but even if there is any real difference there, the way you pluck a string from note to note makes a much more noticeable sound quality difference.  If you use a pick, different thickness/material picks will make a much greater difference in guitar sound than anything you can change on the guitar - type/gauge of strings, saddle material, whatever.

sandygerli

• Church choirs pray twice!! AMHIK
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 08:36:52 PM »
I have bought several sets of the Snakewood/Abalone bridge pins from StewMac, basically because I thought they looked very nice and sure beat the plastic junk on two of my guitars (not my Taylor). I can hear no difference at all, frankly, and they sure do look better! A nice way to spiff up most any guitar, seems to me.
God Bless and Keep Pickin' away at it!

Sandy Gerli
Mount Airy, North Carolina

1999 655 in Quilted Maple
1985 Alvarez Yairi DY70
1970-something Framus 12-string
2012 Luna Trinity 12
2013 Deviser L720B

mikeguywest

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 04:44:20 PM »
I replace the plastic pins with ebony's on my mini not long after buying it (a couple of months) and noticed a definite difference, not tremendous, but better nonetheless. I also replace my 80/20's with PB's so that also contributed to a better tone (for me). I think TG should just go ahead and put ebony's on even their low end guitars.