Author Topic: Anyone figured out a good strap lock system?  (Read 6089 times)

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Re: Anyone figured out a good strap lock system?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2018, 09:14:40 AM »
As I posted on that AGF thread in 2014:

I use [the Strap Jack] for my performing ukulele, which has a passive pickup (no battery). It was a way to use a strap without having to put in a second strap button in addition to the end pin jack. Mine is just a touch loose and does pull out sometimes. It depends on the ID tolerances of the end pin jack (they do vary).  I have considered using a turn of black electrical tape to tighten things up, or maybe crunching it a little with pliers to make it "toothed" or oblong.

I still have not tested it in my Taylor's to see if it runs down the battery, but I suspect not.

The company advises users to remove the batteries in Taylors when using the Strap Jack.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 11:11:54 PM by DennisG »
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2018, 10:58:42 AM »
Good to know, Dennis.  I have dedicated straps for all my guitars, so they fit the normal Taylor end pin jack OK.  And since I no longer gig, all my instruments have the batteries removed.  A battery that isn't there cannot leak if I forget long term.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

ericjungemann

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2018, 05:43:54 PM »
Brilliant, Edward.  I have exactly the same problem and you have solved it.
Eric Jungemann
GS Mini E Koa Plus
150e

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 11:44:47 AM »
You are most welcome, friend!  I am simply passing along the strap-tip I learned from others before me ...ya gotta love it!  :)

Edward

Ghowdy

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2018, 08:49:09 AM »
Try Tapastring and their Strapkeeper 2. Works great on ES2 jacks as I’ve had one on mine for 4 years with no problem. I dont use the plastic lock washer which frees up the leather strap.
The Strapkeeper 2 is designed for smaller end jacks such as the ES2.

TheWeaz

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 12:56:08 PM »
D'Addario Accessories Acoustic Cinch Fit Jack Lock Designed for Taylor Guitars (PW-AJL-02)

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BHHPQ8B/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2018, 10:44:05 AM »
 I'm another "double-nickel" fan. Used that method on both of my Taylor Byzantine straps. Easy on/off and never left me hanging.  :)
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

jtees4

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2019, 12:59:26 PM »
I admit to being a complete "Taylor blind" guy. I have never owned one but joined recently because I want to get one. I am very confused as to why putting a strap on would drain the battery. I know it's something simple and obvious that I am missing. Anyone care to elaborate for a newbie (well a 60 year old newbie)??
Thanks.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2019, 01:57:36 PM »
Putting the strap on won't do anything to the battery.  Keeping something plugged in to the jack to help retain the strap will drain the battery.  Most Taylor pickup systems will give about 40 hour plus/minus of working life on a standard 9V battery.  If you leave a cable plugged in for a couple of days (even unused) you've depleted a battery.

This is not Taylor-specific, BTW.  Many pickup systems with an on-board preamp will use the battery if left plugged in.  The male part of the jack completes the circuit and turns the system on.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

jtees4

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2019, 02:50:51 PM »
Putting the strap on won't do anything to the battery.  Keeping something plugged in to the jack to help retain the strap will drain the battery.  Most Taylor pickup systems will give about 40 hour plus/minus of working life on a standard 9V battery.  If you leave a cable plugged in for a couple of days (even unused) you've depleted a battery.

This is not Taylor-specific, BTW.  Many pickup systems with an on-board preamp will use the battery if left plugged in.  The male part of the jack completes the circuit and turns the system on.

Thanks. I did mis-understand. I am generally aware of the battery drain stuff, in fact I used to have a Parker Fly that I would drain inadvertently every other day, I just could not remember to unplug it for some reason! Thanks again.

ahalikias

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2019, 04:03:24 PM »
I have a follow-on question: I remove the batteries when they die, which is every few weeks to months. Is there danger of a battery leak? Any idea how long it might take for that to happen?
07 914ce Ltd brazilian rosewood
07 SB-BR1 bastogne walnut
09 T5 Ltd ovangkol
09 Baby
13 K26ce Ltd koa
Rivera Sedona 55 ES

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2019, 03:35:40 PM »
I have a follow-on question: I remove the batteries when they die, which is every few weeks to months. Is there danger of a battery leak? Any idea how long it might take for that to happen?

Yes, there is a potential danger of battery leakage.  I just had to throw away a multi-hundred-dollar pair of Bose noise-cancelling headphones because the battery leaked, rendering the on/off switch useless.  That was painful.  The problem is, you never know how long it's going to take for batteries to leak, since you don't know how long they sat around in the store before you purchased them.

But I have to say, if you're changing batteries every few weeks or months, the danger of undetected leakage is practically nil.  When batteries start to leak, you can usually tell while they're still in the package.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke