Author Topic: Taylor Repair Center Levels  (Read 5919 times)

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
Taylor Repair Center Levels
« on: February 08, 2015, 11:55:44 AM »
I'll probably call at chat with Taylor Support later this week , but does anyone know what distinguishes the Repair Center Service Levels of Premium, Gold, Silver Plus and Silver?

I don't have anything major going on. My 816 has Elixir Lights on it, I'm happy with the sound , but want to hear  the difference with mediums. My new  K26 has mediums and at first it seemed more difficult to play , but now (after a month or so) I don't notice  a difference in the playability between the two. So I want to try Mediums on the 816 and assume there will be a minor truss rod adjustment needed. Even though I have the Taylor spec sheet, having never adjusted a truss rod , I'd like to at least see it done  first before attempting myself.

Thanks
Steve
2020 326ce V-class soundhole cutaway prototype
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2019 E14 Limited Edition V-Class (Spruce/Ebony)
2019 814ce V-Class (Cedar/Rosewood)
2016 GS mini-E Koa
2015 618e 1st Edition (Torrified Spruce/Maple)
2014 K26ce (AA Koa- Wildwood CV) 
1980-something Yamaha  FG345II Dread

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Re: Taylor Repair Center Levels
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 01:05:41 PM »
This may not be an answer to your question, but I thought all GS guitars -- including the 800 Series -- came from the factory with medium-gauge strings...?

I guess my point is that, unless it came with light-gauge strings from the factory, it sounds like someone (perhaps you) put those strings on later; so your truss rod might be correctly adjusted now for medium-gauge strings -- if, indeed, any adjustment is needed at all between those string gauges.  Taylor Customer Service can probably advise you best.

And regardless of their certification level, I'm pretty sure any qualified Taylor Service Center (including, perhaps, your dealer) could make the necessary truss rod adjustment.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 06:26:44 PM »
Actually my local GC put the light gauge strings on before I came in to play it for the first time. I had been trying an 814 and asked if they could find an 816 for me to compare it with . They found one  and I came in to play both side by side. They had put new strings on both. Apparently they ( or at least the salesman  I was dealing with) was unaware that the GS models are spec'd with mediums. Neither was I because I was a complete newbie at the time. ( I'm still half a newbie)   Or maybe  they intentionally put lights on to improve the playability (?).  Obviously I purchased the 816.

When I found out that the GS was spec'd with mediums I changed them at my first string change, but did not check the truss rod  . Then I decided that I should  get a proper set -up ( I believe someone here recommended it)  . So I found a Gold Level rated service provider about an hour away and scheduled one.  But he recommended light gauge strings as they are considered the  "standard " for an acoustic guitar. I think he said mediums would put too much tension on the neck. This from a Gold Level Taylor Servce provider? So he scared me away from the mediums.  (remember, I am still a full fledged newbie at that time - a little over a year ago).

So that is  the background for my question regarding what distinguishes  Premium from Gold,Silver and Silver Plus. My other options are Silver Plus and Silver and I plan to take it in again for an overall check, a string change to Mediums  and a truss rod adjustment if needed.
Steve
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2016 GS mini-E Koa

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 06:47:03 PM »
Actually my local GC put the light gauge strings on before I came in to play it for the first time. I had been trying an 814 and asked if they could find an 816 for me to compare it with . They found one  and I came in to play both side by side. They had put new strings on both. Apparently they ( or at least the salesman  I was dealing with) was unaware that the GS models are spec'd with mediums. Neither was I because I was a complete newbie at the time. ( I'm still half a newbie)   Or maybe  they intentionally put lights on to improve the playability (?).  Obviously I purchased the 816...

Hmm.  Well, I suspect that Guitar Center didn't make any truss rod adjustments when they swapped the strings, so you're probably safe to put the mediums on.

... When I found out that the GS was spec'd with mediums I changed them at my first string change, but did not check the truss rod  . Then I decided that I should  get a proper set -up ( I believe someone here recommended it)  . So I found a Gold Level rated service provider about an hour away and scheduled one.  But he recommended light gauge strings as they are considered the  "standard " for an acoustic guitar. I think he said mediums would put too much tension on the neck. This from a Gold Level Taylor Servce provider? So he scared me away from the mediums.  (remember, I am still a full fledged newbie at that time - a little over a year ago).

So that is  the background for my question regarding what distinguishes  Premium from Gold,Silver and Silver Plus. My other options are Silver Plus and Silver and I plan to take it in again for an overall check, a string change to Mediums  and a truss rod adjustment if needed.

You seem to have been given quite a bit of conflicting information.  I think Taylor Customer Support is going to be your best bet to clear up the confusion.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

cooper59

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 08:39:08 AM »
 I think if you have the strings on you like and it plays good and sounds good you really don't need a set up. taylors are usually set up very nice from the factory. sometimes I have had to adjust the truss rod when changing from lights to mediums or backwards sometimes not. now if you think it could play better with a set up it never hurts to get 1.

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 09:33:43 AM »
I agree with the other responses.  I had a GS8 (in today's parlance, an 816) for several years and I switched between mediums, medium/lights (Med bass strings, light trebles: you should try these!  They put out all the bass you want with amazing treble sparkles, too.  This was by far my favorite strings on this guitar) as well as lights, and there were no setup issues whatsoever.  The GS neck is made to handle medium strings, so no worries there.  Enjoy your beautiful guitar without worry :)
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 11:18:07 AM »
Here's Taylor's current reccomendations, and what the guitars are supplied with:

http://www.taylorguitars.com/blog/taylor-support/faq-string-types-and-gauges

Now, the brand is relatively unimportant (Elixir), but gauge can be very important. Gauge determines string tension. (And other things human related, such as tone and playability.)

Each guitar is braced and set up when it leaves the factory to "optimally perform" with the string gauge it is originally supplied with. In some cases it's not "bad" to opt for another string gauge if you know why you are, if its ok for the guitar, and realize adjustments might need to be made to accommodate the change. Most often, if necessary, a truss rod adjustment. By the way, if one is newer to guitar and unsure of all of this, please do not adjust the truss rod yourself. Take it to a good luthier and if you like, ask them to talk you through what they're doing before ever attempting it yourself.

Remember I said some changes are ok, others are bad. i.e. medium strings on a 12 string Taylor=bad, light gauge on a GS=ok, but with caveats.

Given that I know all of this and all I am is just a guitar player, not a luthier who's business it is to know all of this, I would be very gun shy about a luthier who told you what he/she did about all acoustic guitars using light strings. They don't know what they're talking about.

Last point - HD Lights are a newer "hybrid" light/medium gauge string set.

"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 12:59:22 PM »
More caveats. Medium strings on a Taylor 12 tuned to C or C# is OK
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 01:49:04 PM »

Take it to a good luthier and if you like, ask them to talk you through what they're doing before ever attempting it yourself.

That's what I am hoping to be able to do

... Thanks everyone
Steve
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2016 GS mini-E Koa

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 01:49:36 PM »

That would simply R U M B L E...would love to hear that!
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 05:31:52 PM »
That is what the LKSM was all about.  Large body, heavy strings strings tuned down to C# to rumble.  I put heavy gauge strings (59-14) on my Martin rosewood jumbo J-40 and now tune it down to C or even Bb.  Now THAT rumbles, sounding even better than my Taylor baritone wearing the exact same strings.

I second the opinion that you should look elsewhere.  This "tech" (cannot bring myself to call him a luthier) seems to be unswayed by the facts.....
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 05:35:19 PM by Earl »
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 06:29:09 PM »

True enough, I was only assuming standard tuning. Don't you  love the endless permutations?
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

allengarner

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2023, 09:31:03 PM »
For Future Reference - Here is the Taylor Service Center guidelines explaining the different levels of certification.

GUITAR TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION LEVELS
Repair contact certification levels have been established to help customer
service and consumers identify the types of repairs available at a particular
service center. There are four possible levels of technician certification: “Bronze,”
“Silver,” “Silver Plus,” and “Gold.”

Bronze level is set up specifically for employees of Authorized Taylor Dealers,
and is also a starting point for more experienced guitar techs. Our goal at the
Bronze level is to get store employees who are handling the guitars, from
warehouse to the sales floor, familiar with our guitars and basic guitar
knowledge. Shipping damage, humidity education for storing and displaying
guitars, and a few basic adjustments are covered in this online course.

Bronze level training covers:
• Evaluating setups in relation to Taylor factory specifications
• Restringing
• Truss rod adjustments
• Simple parts replacements such as tuning keys and acoustic guitar
saddles
• How to re-putty an NT neck joint
• Identifying humidity-related symptoms
• Identifying shipping damage

Silver level is where most of our service contacts will first be categorized. Here
we focus on NT neck angle adjustments, Expression System® electronics
repairs, and advanced humidity training. Certification comes with the completion
of our online course.

Silver level training covers:
• NT neck angle adjustment
• Diagnosing and repairing Expression System electronics
• Advanced humidity training
• Filing and cleaning nut slots
• Replacing acoustic pickguards
• Intonation

Prerequisites:
• Complete Bronze level
• Have computer access and be able to e-mail photos and forms when
requested

Silver Plus level distinguishes technicians with a few years of history working
with us from those who have recently completed our online Silver course. It also
opens warranty authorization to a small number of more complicated jobs.

Silver Plus level training covers:
• Acoustic bridge removal and re-glue
• Seating and leveling frets
• Nut replacements
• Satin finish repairs

Prerequisites:
• Complete Silver level
• Three or more years of full-time guitar repair experience
• Three or more years of working as a Silver level tech
• May require personal training with Taylor staff
FMIC AUTHORIZED SERVICE CE

Gold level is our highest rating for a certified service center. Gold level
certification requires intensive factory training along with years of full-time,
hands-on repair experience. Gold level technicians will be hand-selected by
Taylor Guitars, and positions will be limited. While we don’t authorize large
warranty jobs such as refrets outside the factory, we will refer major non-warranty
jobs to Gold level techs.

Gold level training covers:
• Partial and full refrets
• Buffing gloss finishes
• Ding repairs
• Classic (pre-NT) neck resets
• Binding repairs
• Advanced humidity diagnosis and humidity-related repairs

Prerequisites:
• Complete Silver Plus level
• Two or more years of working as a Silver Plus level tech
• Five or more years of full-time guitar repair experience