Author Topic: New Cases this year  (Read 4675 times)

American Red

New Cases this year
« on: November 17, 2012, 07:00:20 PM »
On another forum they were discussing the fact that the new cases are not near the quality of the old cases.
That thread was started in April of 2012 (Change over happened sometime in January)
The Cheaper cases involved were stated to be in the 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800 900 and PS Series.

The Case I received for my Spring Series (Manufactured on June, 7th, 2012) seems to be a really good quality case that fits tight.

So, is it true?
Were the Old Cases (2011) really that much better than the new ones?

Second Question, Who can read my Serial Number?:  My Serial Number ends in 2012.
S/N 1106072012

At another shop I found an identical KOA LTD built two months earlier (in April), but the serial number ended in 21XX..
This older S/N would tell me there were more than 150 units made  before APRIL, but my S/N would seem to indicate that only 12 were made Before June 7th.

I apparently am not understanding the serial number .

My S/N is:              1106XX2012
The older one is    1104XX21XX

Thank you in advance,

« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 07:07:30 PM by American Red »

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
Re: New Cases this year
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 07:27:11 PM »
I just went thru the serial number deciphering exercise with my K66.  As far as I can tell your guitar was:

1 - made in El Cajon
1 - this is the 3rd number of the year - combined with the 7th number
06 - June
07 - day
2 - second number of the year so yours is 2012
012 - 12th guitar that day on the production schedule

Here's the link to the Taylor website:  http://www.taylorguitars.com/blog/taylor-support/faq-when-was-my-guitar-made

As far as the cases.  I have the brown alligator case for my 516 LTD I got a few years ago and I really like it.  The K66 came with a black case - the guitar fits in very snuggly and the case looks and feels very sturdy and durable but I don't think it's as nice as my LTD one.

American Red

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 07:33:35 PM »
Thank you.
You answered both of my questions.
Yes, the 314ce fits very tight in the case.

Since I have never seen the Older cases, I am happy with the one Taylor provided me.

One thing I did not notice at the time of the sale was that the 414ce LTD Fall Edition was the same exact price as my 314ce.
Still, I am very happy with the sound of my KOA.

Nothing in this world is perfect.
Even in the Builders Reserve or BTO realm.

My LTD will last me a lifetime.. and beyond

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 07:41:18 PM »
Actually, now I'm a little confused.  Re-reading the website info (I've bolded below) the part I'm not sure of.  It says the 7th digit - I think they mean 8th - is the series number.  I'm pretty sure Taylor builds more than 100 guitars a day which would mean the serial number would have to expand to 12 digits after the 99th guitar was started.

In any case - someone here may know the deal and be able to clarify it.  On my K66 the 8th digit is a 1 then the last 2 numbers are 48.  I thought this meant mine was #148 for the day but now it seems it may have been #48.

From 1993 until the end of 1999, each Taylor guitar featured a nine-digit serial number that precisely pinpoints when work was begun on that guitar. As of 2000, the serial number expanded to 11 digits to accommodate the four-digit year designation. Reading left to right, the first two digits (or four starting in 2000) represent the year; the second pair of digits represent the month; and the third pair of digits represents the calendar day that work was begun. The seventh digit is a series code number – 0 for 300 or 400 Series, 1 for 500 thru Presentation Series, 2 for 200 Series, 3 for Baby and Big Baby Series, 5 for T5, 7 for Nylon Series, 8 for 100 Series, and 9 for SolidBody Series. The last two digits denote the guitar's position in that day's production sequence. For models older than 1993, please refer to the chart below.

I agree with you on it being a keeper - I can't imagine parting with any of my guitars - even the Yamaha - it's my beater.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 07:50:40 PM »
On another forum they were discussing the fact that the new cases are not near the quality of the old cases.
That thread was started in April of 2012 (Change over happened sometime in January)
The Cheaper cases involved were stated to be in the 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800 900 and PS Series.

The Case I received for my Spring Series (Manufactured on June, 7th, 2012) seems to be a really good quality case that fits tight.

So, is it true?
Were the Old Cases (2011) really that much better than the new ones?

I have a 2011 BTO GA and a very new 2012 BTO GA. The cases appear to be of equal quality and seem to utilize the same materials, although the 2012 case seems to have a sleeker profile. Guitars fit snugly in both. I actually like to 2012 - it feels more compact and more manageable than all my older Taylor cases.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

American Red

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 08:06:30 PM »

I have a 2011 BTO GA and a very new 2012 BTO GA. The cases appear to be of equal quality and seem to utilize the same materials, although the 2012 case seems to have a sleeker profile. Guitars fit snugly in both. I actually like to 2012 - it feels more compact and more manageable than all my older Taylor cases.

That is what I like to hear..
Mine looks like it will keep the Limited in like new playing condition for the next 200 years...

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 06:19:24 AM »
I have both deluxe cases. The brown alligator came with my 2011 Spring LTD GS and the black with my 2011 GA BTO. Both are sturdy and fit the guitars snuggly (sp?). Honestly I can't say which is better as both are doing a grand job of protecting the guitars. The brown case is definitely heavier to carry but I personally like the alligator skin look.  YMMV
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 09:57:12 AM »
Actually, now I'm a little confused.  Re-reading the website info (I've bolded below) the part I'm not sure of.  It says the 7th digit - I think they mean 8th - is the series number.  I'm pretty sure Taylor builds more than 100 guitars a day which would mean the serial number would have to expand to 12 digits after the 99th guitar was started.

In any case - someone here may know the deal and be able to clarify it.  On my K66 the 8th digit is a 1 then the last 2 numbers are 48.  I thought this meant mine was #148 for the day but now it seems it may have been #48.

From 1993 until the end of 1999, each Taylor guitar featured a nine-digit serial number that precisely pinpoints when work was begun on that guitar. As of 2000, the serial number expanded to 11 digits to accommodate the four-digit year designation. Reading left to right, the first two digits (or four starting in 2000) represent the year; the second pair of digits represent the month; and the third pair of digits represents the calendar day that work was begun. The seventh digit is a series code number – 0 for 300 or 400 Series, 1 for 500 thru Presentation Series, 2 for 200 Series, 3 for Baby and Big Baby Series, 5 for T5, 7 for Nylon Series, 8 for 100 Series, and 9 for SolidBody Series. The last two digits denote the guitar's position in that day's production sequence. For models older than 1993, please refer to the chart below.

I agree with you on it being a keeper - I can't imagine parting with any of my guitars - even the Yamaha - it's my beater.

Confusing yes.  This is from the Taylor web site: 

November 2, 2009 is 1011029001. Here’s how it breaks down:

FACTORY    YEAR (3RD DIGIT)    MONTH    DAY    YEAR (4TH DIGIT)    PROD. SCHED. #
    1                         0 (2009)               11         02     9 (2009)                         001

First number I get it, made in El Cajon, but what about the second digit(miss print)?  The 3rd digit on my 2012 is 0 which is actually the first digit of the 2 digit month indicator.  So what is the second digit, on my 2012 it is a 1 so are they talking about the decade?  Well I am pretty sure that my guitar was made Feb. 9, 2012  then it was the XXX made that day, and it reads 11020921XX
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

American Red

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 11:15:46 AM »

FACTORY    YEAR (3RD DIGIT)    MONTH    DAY    YEAR (4TH DIGIT)    PROD. SCHED. #
    1                         0 (2009)               11         02     9 (2009)                         001

First number I get it, made in El Cajon, but what about the second digit(miss print)?  The 3rd digit on my 2012 is 0 which is actually the first digit of the 2 digit month indicator.  So what is the second digit, on my 2012 it is a 1 so are they talking about the decade?  Well I am pretty sure that my guitar was made Feb. 9, 2012  then it was the XXX made that day, and it reads 11020921XX

Confusion:Understandable
 FACTORY    YEAR (2nd Digit, but 3RD DIGIT of year)    MONTH    DAY    YEAR (4TH DIGIT of year)    PROD. SCHED. #
    1                0 (2009)                                                       11         02       9 (2009)                                            001

Hope this clears it up..
YOUR second digit is the 1 ..  The 1 is the 3rd digit of the year 2012
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 07:28:14 PM by American Red »

tedtan

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 01:13:53 PM »
I'm pretty sure Taylor builds more than 100 guitars a day

When I took the factory tour in 2010 the tour guide mentioned that they were making between 425 and 450 guitars per day at that time.

American Red

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 01:15:34 PM »
Thank you for that information!!!

tedtan

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 01:44:14 PM »
Thank you for that information!!!

You guys usually beat me to the important stuff, so I do what I can.   ;) ;D

wooglins

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 02:23:07 PM »
Ok so heres the deal on the cases.  Taylor has made the Deluxe cases which come with 5 series and up guitars themselves for quite some time, with the exception of the GS size.  The GS size deluxe cases were made in China untill the past year.  Now they are also made in house, and designed to fit well.  As for the appearance, some folks liked the faux alligator skin that came on the Chineese cases.  I like mine fine, but the GS fits loosley in that case.  It does not fit loosely in the new cases, it fits like a glove, and does not move around at all.

Hope that helps on the case deal.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 02:34:02 PM »

Confusion:Understandable
 FACTORY    YEAR (2nd Digit, but 3RD DIGIT of year)    MONTH    DAY    YEAR (4TH DIGIT of year)    PROD. SCHED. #
    1                0 (2009)                                                       11         02       9 (2009)                                            001

Hope this clears it up..
The second digit is the 1 ..  The 1 is the 3rd digit of the year 2012

Thanks for clearing that up.  I can not understand the reasoning behind this , why don't they put the last two digits of the year next to each other? What purpose is there in doing their new way?  Geewillikers
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 06:41:07 PM »
I'm really missing the old system after reading the above explanations...