Author Topic: What's going on? ...  (Read 2279 times)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
What's going on? ...
« on: May 01, 2023, 03:18:54 PM »
in your music and guitar world, all?

Been oddly quiet lately here.  So what's up with guitar thoughts, Taylor insights, music discoveries? Whatcha all doing of late ...fess up! :D

As for me:

1. Diggin my old 08 DN that has been refretted.  Such a great move ...can't believe I waited this long as it turned a guit I already use live into a guit I love and constantly reach for.  Anyone on the fence about a refret, I'd say do it!

2. Trying to get a new project off the ground: an acoustic duo thing with a drummer doing rock covers. 

You? ...Chime in with whatever ya got, whatever it is, or that which you aspire!  :D

Edward

PaulWood

Re: What's going on? ...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 08:35:03 AM »
Good move, Edward - there's been very little content of any interest on UTGF for a long time!

As you so diplomatically point out, it's down to members to keep it alive and vibrant.

Your news about the new project prompted me to think about, and share, what I'm doing. Hopefully, it'll be of some interest to (some) members. 

Firstly, a health warning: Country music is my thing (probably lost most of the audience now, but I'll carry on anyway).

Back in the day, I moved through a number of country bands, all of which received a reasonable degree of regional notoriety. As front-man, I had to juggle my career (as an accountant) with the time-consuming demands of 3 or 4 bookings a week (it's a young man's game!). Back then, in East Anglia, as well as the dedicated country music clubs, there were country music dances on a weekly basis at many different venues in Norfolk and Suffolk, plus a number of USAF air bases, so finding work was not a problem. The biggest headache was trying to keep up with pro musicians who wanted to work every night of the week, while I would have been happy with just weekends!

Most memorable gigs were opening for Tom Paul & the Glaser Brothers on a one-night theatre stand, and, working a USAF base with Sammi Smith.

Nowadays, I play at home mostly, developing a solo capability. I started using Pro-Tools about 10 years ago and set about producing backing tracks, using a drum machine, as well as a harmony machine. It has turned into a rewarding (and time-consuming) hobby. A few years ago, the onset of arthritis in my fingers resulted in my buying Band-in-a-Box, to generate backing tracks quickly - I don't know what it's like for other genres but it's good for country. The arthritis has restricted my playing but not stopped it, so I spend a lot of time setting up BiaB projects and then replacing some of the tracks with my own recordings.

I was wondering, Edward, if you plan to use backing tracks in your duo project? My first thoughts were that you might need a few additional instruments (bass, especially) to get the Rock vibe going!

Anyone else out there that does similar things to me, jump on board, maybe we can benefit from swapping info.

BTW I have 5 Taylors to help me with my recordings 3-12s, 1-14 and a GS Mini e. These are augmented by a tele, strat & precision bass.

Over to you!

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2023, 10:03:42 PM »
Hey Paul,

Don't ever apologize for country music, man!  Not to mention you've got some notoriety there so be proud!  Country breeds some of the best players ever, and this as a norm.  I'm a rock guy, been so for decades since a wee-little wanna-be rocker.  And most every single one of "us" rocker dudes were musical wanna-bees.  But when I started to really mature as a guitarist in my 30s, getting more focused on playing, I ran into country music folks and practically every one I played with were far more musicians than us dumb rockers!  It's not my go-to genre, but I dig the country vibe!

As a family guy with a day job, music has always raged through my veins.  My regular thing for decades was/still is P&W, and of course Rock as that's what I grew up with and the Beatles, Zepp, et.al. got me sucked in good as a kid.  Before covid hit, my covers trio was getting more local traction and we dug it ...then bam ...shut down for a couple of years, doing only the occasional gig with precious little in between.  Just now we're getting more dates and diggin that! 

But as for my new project, I'm taking most of my covers and arranging them as acoustic rock and pairing up with a drummer (not the one in my trio) on a light kit.  So I actually don't want a bass or backing tracks as I am trying to preserve the "unplugged" vibe as much as possible.  The trio has the "rockin bar" dance floor thing going on so that checks off that box in my soul.  This duo is like it's quieter, chill brother...so I'm shooting for the "winery thing" and the like.  I "think" I'm only a year or two from retirement (my cfo has those numbers in her head, I just listen) so really looking forward to more playing out more.  Just for fun, no aspirations outside of folks tapping their toes and having a good time!  Electric, acoustic, loud or relaxed gigs, full band or solo, and of course churches, it's all soooo good to be at this point in my existence so I'm really looking forward to what's on the near horizon!

Funny you mention recording: that has become a new "toy" for me, but that's a different story.  Cool that you're doing that and the BiaB thing ...that takes work and talent, kudos to ya! :)

Edward

PaulWood

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 07:40:32 AM »
Sounds like you've got it sussed, Edward.

You're right about the level of musicianship in country - but it doesn't apply to me!

I crossed paths with Albert Lee back in the 70s - he won't remember it but I do! I almost went home and put my guitars up for sale!

Good luck with the acoustic project - for my part, I've always found drummers a little bit difficult to control, but if you've found one that buys into the vibe you're going for, then you should be ok.

I'll be interested to see if anyone in the Forum has got into making their own backing tracks, or is contemplating doing so, as it's quite a rewarding hobby. I did consider not including that aspect of my pastime in my reply to your post, as I know that it would be a definite 'No No' for many acoustic players. The upside, however, is that you learn a lot more about music and arranging and it opens a lot of doors.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2023, 12:29:23 AM »
Backing trakcs are a lot of work, but yeah, I totally understand you about it helping understand arranging!  I have done arrangements for band members in P&W for yeeeaaars.  Lots of work, but really rewarding!  In my dabbling in recording, I arrange various guitar parts ...no bass or drums, just vox and guit parts so that's fun, too! 

Chime in, folks.  It's an open convo!  What else you all have going on?! :D

Edward

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2023, 06:22:56 PM »
No real projects pending, but I did a deep dive into the Gordon Lightfoot (RIP) discography while driving round trip between Idaho and Tucson over this last week.  THAT was a lesson in songwriting and arranging, if one pays attention.  A true master at work.  He was the inspiration for me learning acoustic guitar in general and fingerstyle in particular.  I took a carbon fiber guitar with me to AZ so there as no worry about temps or RH on the road and in hotels or friend's homes.   8)

Been oddly quiet lately here.  So what's up with guitar thoughts, Taylor insights, music discoveries? Whatcha all doing of late ...fess up!

The only Taylor action in my house is putting on a newly arrived test set of Elixir strings on my koa 424 this afternoon before the bluegrass jam tonight, now that I'm back home.  It has indeed been very quiet here lately.  Perhaps Taylor has "jumped the shark", at least among the forum demographic?  [Not trying to start something here, just a nagging afterthought].
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

PaulWood

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2023, 08:23:47 AM »
Hey Earl, I'm a foreigner (UK) and, although I'm fairly long in the tooth, I'm not familiar with your expression 'jumped the shark'! Please make an old man happy by explaining it (I might want to use it myself in the future!)

From where I'm sitting, it all went wrong for Taylor when they introduced ES2. My experience having ES2 retro-fitted on my 614ce was a disaster and my later experience, having ES1.3 retro-fitted on a new 12-fret 812ce, left much to be desired. I've concluded that I'm probably in the minority on this, so there's no point banging on about it!

SDTaylorman

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2023, 08:31:58 AM »
Hey Earl, I'm a foreigner (UK) and, although I'm fairly long in the tooth, I'm not familiar with your expression 'jumped the shark'! Please make an old man happy by explaining it (I might want to use it myself in the future!)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2023, 11:56:36 AM »
Hi Paul.  The posted Wiki link above tells the story just fine.  It has become slang for when something has gone off the track or strayed too far from the core mission / values.  Bob's your uncle.   :D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 11:58:34 AM by Earl »
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

PaulWood

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2023, 09:03:39 AM »
Hey Earl (and SDTaylorman).

Many thanks for the explanation. It makes perfect sense. I can't wait to find a situation where I can slip it into the conversation. (Sorry about the unintended rhyming).

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2023, 06:33:19 PM »
Hey Earl (and SDTaylorman).

Many thanks for the explanation. It makes perfect sense. I can't wait to find a situation where I can slip it into the conversation. (Sorry about the unintended rhyming).

LOL!!  Don't be in too much of a rush, that was a horrible moment in American television.  I am old enough to know the reference first hand from having watched it ...what an embarrassment to all, hahaha!

Edwar