Author Topic: Need an Intervention  (Read 2185 times)

dbvirago

• My Words
Need an Intervention
« on: February 10, 2022, 08:01:54 AM »
 I've been practicing for almost 2 years, 2+ hours every day. Happy with some progress, unhappy with others.
My problem is I want to learn everything, right now and my practice schedule reflects that.

On any day, after a 15m warmup, I may work on any of the following:
- 8-10 books
- A dozen different online courses. These aren't random YouTube videos but lessons from various courses I either have paid for, or are a current subscriber.
- Practice the 10 songs I currently consider my 'set'
- Am in various stages of another dozen songs.

Today, for instance, after warmup, I have done or planned the following:
- 15 minutes on a lesson in one of the books.
- Once through my set.
- 5-10 m each on 4 different lessons.
- Replayed songs from set where I stumbled.
- 10 minutes each on 2 new songs.
- 5 m each on 5 songs I hope to play in future.

My schedule and priorities.
I am retired with plenty of time.
I have 2 hours in the morning I can devote to and focus on guitar. I can spend as much time during the rest of the day in smaller chunks as needed.

I perform my set for my wife once a week. My main priority is to improve that. I can do most or all songs very good to perfect in practice, but fumble in performance.

Second priority is to improve fingerstyle technique. Current focus is in blues and learning songs from David Hamburger.
If you've read this far, I admire your patience. When you get through rolling your eyes. I would appreciate any advice. Time and desire are not the problem, but I know I need more focus.

If you had as much time as I do to practice daily, given the above, what would your schedule look like?

Thank you very much for any input or advice. Feeling stressed and frustrated in something that should be fun and relaxing.
One Note on One String

Taylor A10
Taylor 714ce

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Need an Intervention
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 08:37:56 AM »
I admire your dedication and perseverance.  I don't think anyone can tell you what your practice routine should look like, because we all have different goals and priorities in our lives. That said, if you are stressed and frustrated, I'd suggest relaxing a bit on the structure of your practicing and allowing some deviation. Some days you may not be in the mood (I definitely  experience  this), and may choose to just skip it all together or just play songs you know and love. One thing I always do is end the session with fun stuff. I understand  the desire to keep learning and progressing, but relaxing a bit can do wonders for your state of mind. Don't know if this helps.  ???
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 11:07:32 AM »
One thing I always do is end the session with fun stuff. I understand  the desire to keep learning and progressing, but relaxing a bit can do wonders for your state of mind.

^^ This.  We pick up guitar to learn songs that we can play and enjoy, not just to perfect drills, scales, chord progressions, and licks.  Lighten up a bit - you're doing fine.  Even at my most dedicated, I could never have the intense focus to "practice" that long per day, even if the time had been available.  Most people can only truly concentrate for 15-20 minutes, then it is time to do something else that is more fun and easier on the brain.  We call it "play" for a reason.  For example, when I'm learning a new finger style tune, I work on the new one for maybe 20 minutes, then kick back and have fun with the other songs already in my repertoire.  That relaxes my brain and makes it all fun again, instead of work.  A side benefit is that ALL my tunes get polished up in the process.

I would expand your set list with more songs, especially in different keys.  Learn songs in all of the CAGED keys because they mostly use open first-position chords.  Many people have a tendency to settle into a favorite comfortable key (that fits their voice or because the chords are easy) and don't branch out much.  At a bluegrass jam, most songs are in G, so every guitar player there knows licks in that key.  Call something else, and they have to reach for a capo - they simply don't how to play in A.  Start with I-IV-V and commit that progression in the CAGED keys.  Then add the relative minor chord in each key (examples:  G and Em, D and Bm, etc).

Not all learning is physically fretting the strings or grabbing chord shapes.  Spend some time on transposing to different keys, analyzing chord progressions, and other things.  I have long recommended a book called "The Guitar Handbook" by Ralph Denyer.  My well-worn copy from 1984 stays near the sofa and sometimes I just pick it up and read a short chapter.  Most of my music theory knowledge has been gained this way.  It is a great book.
https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Handbook-Professional-Acoustic-Electrice/dp/0679742751/ref=asc_df_0679742751/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312166025508&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10915228562536074728&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029600&hvtargid=pla-570180153488&psc=1
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

dbvirago

• My Words
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 05:00:11 PM »
Thanks, this is great stuff. I've made a lot of changes, just today. And ending with a fun song is one of those changes.
One Note on One String

Taylor A10
Taylor 714ce

TrampsLikeUs

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 05:37:10 PM »
Good evening and welcome to the forum.  Sounds like you and I have a few similar situations. I too have dedicated lots of time (in the last 2 years) to learning more about playing the guitar.  I’ve been taking lessons from a gentleman half my age.  I too am retired. I try to learn way too much stuff, too fast.  My instructor tells me that there is a structured learning progression.  If you try to deviate from it to where you lack the ability,  you get discouraged.  You-Tube is a GREAT tool,  but don’t get ahead of yourself....  I practice a lot.  I have problems just remembering stuff.  Can’t do much without music right in front of me for playing songs.  I’ve learned my way up and down the fretboard in several keys.
Not perfect, but I’m trying.  I do to sometimes get discouraged, But like others have said,  play songs you enjoy.  Being retired, I have tons of time to do ONE thing.  So when things get tough,  then DO the fun stuff ... for hours...  Then start all over again tomorrow.  Surely as the time slips by,  you’ll be more than pleased with how you have progressed !!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 05:39:32 PM by TrampsLikeUs »
1985 Washburn D-12CE
2015 Ibanez Artcore AS73-TBC Electric
Washburn WCG66SCE GA Acoustic
Fender Statocaster SRV 1997 artist series
Taylor 856ce 12 string Indian Rosewood
Taylor K-14 2019 KOA Builder Edition
Taylor 2019 GS-Mini Koa  (2)
Taylor PS-18 2015 Tobacco Sunburst Sitka Spruce Top, W/ Brazilian Rosewood back/sides
Taylor GA Custom 2019 Sinker Redwood Top/ Cocobolo back/sides

dbvirago

• My Words
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 03:43:47 PM »
Thanks, TLU. It's getting better already.
One Note on One String

Taylor A10
Taylor 714ce

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2022, 05:05:55 PM »
You have a serious regimen there, sir!  Since you asked for advice, here goes:

1. Ease up on yourself!  I know it sounds cliche, but remember music is supposed to be rewarding, fulfilling, and ultimately shared.  Your diligence is genuinely admirable, but if rigor supplants your joy, then back off on the former to allow room for the latter. 

2.  Performance fluster: welcome to the human race! :)  I've never found a shortcut for addressing this.  Continued times at bat reduces stress of being at bat.  I've never found any way around performance angst outside of performing more.  Again, go easy on your self critique.  Critique in the objective sense is essential for growth, to be sure.  But allow yourself mistakes ...heck, it is entirely likely no one even noticed.  And if any do, smile : it's better for both you and the audience!  And on that note, play through whatever mistakes you've made and finish that song well.  It's a genuine confidence builder to power through a real flub!

3. Books and lessons: my view on instruction is to keep my goal clear.  Why am I learning this or that?  Ask and answer that for yourself.  Then revisit #1 above.  I'm not being flippant.  If my learning something doesn't translate to me enjoying playing more, or reigning victorious over a difficult song, then mere academia is pointless.  Utterly pointless!  Question your motive in order to focus your goal.

4. Disclaimer: I am a hack, precious little music instruction as a kid, got through the school of hard knocks, put down music altogether for over a decade,  and in the past several years the passion has been relit in my soul.  I've forever been busy with a day job and family to raise, but music was always that continual tug in the depths of my gut that kept nagging at me, always wanting to break out.  Playing with others who are better than me (not hard to find that!) has propelled me forward; playing in various band situations taught me things I'd never have learned in formal instruction; and finding joy in whatever little victories reminds me there is lots to enjoy in this endeavor called music.  Now I hunger for the next gig; it's become an unexpected craving ...weird!  But it's a good weird.  All of which to say that you are "stressed" and "frustrated" with your process now.  Change your process!  Re-read your second line in your post!  Now read it again.  Re-evaluate my aforementioned babble, and if anything I've said sounds nuts, feel free to ignore my meanderings!  I do hope something here is of help.  :)

Edward
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 05:13:31 PM by Edward »