Author Topic: Sound hole tuners  (Read 1729 times)

Driveblind

Sound hole tuners
« on: March 08, 2021, 10:57:32 AM »
I just bought a D'addario sound hole tuner to put in my new 414ce LTD. With the bracing on the top, it's able to sit near the front or back (when looking down) of the sound hole. I was wondering what others tuners, apart from your golden ears  ;) , that everyone else likes to use. I like that this one is mostly-invisible except for me looking into the sound hole and it's not a headstock tuner that I'd take on and off every time I use it. The new Martin SC-13e has a tuner that's adhered inside the sound hole without a tab, so it's completely invisible from the outside, but it looks like that's a custom piece for Martin guitars that's not available as an accessory.
2019 Taylor 414ce LTD

Electrics
90s Rickenbacker 360
80s Rickenbacker 620
Epiphone Sheraton II Union Jack
90s Epiphone Les Paul
MIM Fender Telecaster
Build-by-me Fender-style Jazzuar
Fender Jazz Bass

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: Sound hole tuners
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 01:54:21 PM »
I use an old school A-440 tuning fork. When I hit that fork and place it on the side of the neck at the 5th fret and remove it, I know that I'm in perfect pitch if the guitar resonates that note on its own without a wobble.   Then I use harmonics on the fifth fret to ensure that the strings are in tune with each other. You'll find that Taylors tend to stay in tune more easily than other guitars, especially with the V bracing which gives them near-perfect intonation. They're in tune regardless of the position on the fretboard.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 03:17:13 PM by Strumming Fool »
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood