Author Topic: What strings do you prefer on your Grand Pacific?  (Read 2308 times)

BuddyO

What strings do you prefer on your Grand Pacific?
« on: January 31, 2021, 06:22:31 PM »
My AD17e came with Elixir PB Mediums.
I tried the D'Addario PB mediums and they were good, but a bit brighter sounding.
So my current set are Elixir PB medium-lights which I really like.  The lighter treble strings are easier for me to play and they balance the sound more to let the bass and mid-range shine as well.

I haven't tried many yet, but so far, these are my favorites.
I do have a set of Martin medium PBs which I will try next, but that won't be for a couple of months, since the Elixirs last quite a while.
2020 Taylor AD17e

boneuphtoner

• Veteran Member
Re: What strings do you prefer on your Grand Pacific?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 11:48:36 AM »
Last year, I learned the trick of using medium gauge strings, but tuning to Eb - you get the full fatter tone of mediums, but the tension is essentially the same as lights.  If you play with others who are using standard E tuning, just capo the 1st fret.

BuddyO

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 01:49:21 PM »
Last year, I learned the trick of using medium gauge strings, but tuning to Eb - you get the full fatter tone of mediums, but the tension is essentially the same as lights.  If you play with others who are using standard E tuning, just capo the 1st fret.

Wow, that is clever, thank you for the idea!
2020 Taylor AD17e

BuddyO

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 11:20:28 AM »
I've recently changed out my Elixir PB medium-lights for Martin PB mediums.
Having played the lighter gauge treble strings for 2 months and now back to mediums all around, I think I'll stick to the mediums.
It's hard to compare the Elixirs to the Martins, since the Martins a now new and sound great.
Great strong, full sound across the spectrum.
I did tighten up the truss rod an 1/8 of a turn to lower the action a bit and I'm better able to play a barred F major chord more consistently.
They may squeak a bit more than the Elixirs, I'll go back to them in a couple of months with my next change.
2020 Taylor AD17e

BuddyO

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 04:23:41 PM »
I've recently changed out my Elixir PB medium-lights for Martin PB mediums.
Having played the lighter gauge treble strings for 2 months and now back to mediums all around, I think I'll stick to the mediums.
It's hard to compare the Elixirs to the Martins, since the Martins a now new and sound great.
Great strong, full sound across the spectrum.
I did tighten up the truss rod an 1/8 of a turn to lower the action a bit and I'm better able to play a barred F major chord more consistently.
They may squeak a bit more than the Elixirs, I'll go back to them in a couple of months with my next change.

OK, so the Martins lasted about 2 months of everyday playing (1/2 to a full hour a day), before the D string turned lifeless.
Now back to the medium PB Elixirs and I think I'll stick to them.  The coating really helps with the squeaks.
2020 Taylor AD17e