Author Topic: Guitar interface questions - iRig 2, Joyo, MP3 Jam Tracks, etc.  (Read 2493 times)

davem1111

I have owned an IK Multimedia iRig 2 (either attached to an iPhone or iPad) for a while now and it is great for some things but has some limitations. I have been using it mostly for electric guitar effects, but have also used it with my Taylor GA3-12 and with my pickup-equipped Ukulele.  8)

So, I'm trying to figure out what the best gear combination is (and maybe there need to be different ones for different situations) for several scenarios where I want the output limited to headphones, so I don't disturb others in the house:

1. Doing electric guitar lessons on Udemy.com, or playing backup tracks from MP3's or YouTube - the issue here is that this audio is coming from the computer through wired, USB or Bluetooth headphones, while the IRIG 2 only supports wired headphones. It's really hard to wear 2 pairs of headphones at the same time.  :-\  I've tried feeding the output from the iRig 2 into line in on the computer (I have a choice of Windows 10 or Macbook Pro Mojave) - have only tried the Windows system so far and this only "marginally" works.

2. Playing a backing track, playing my guitar through the iRig 2 for effects, mixing those outputs with input from my microphone, possibly then feeding that into the Macbook to record in Garageband (just for personal use). Although I realize, I'd likely be better off recording the tracks separately in Garageband. 

3. When I'm not trying to be quiet  :D, being able to send some or all of this output to an amp.

I'm trying to do this without spending more than a few hundred on gear, but also, if this can be done with foot effects box(es) that I could then actually use on stage if I ever get to that, it would be a wiser investment.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of electronics and have recommendations on what gear would be best? 

I'm probably going to buy one of these devices in the meantime - it's only $42 US:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KJD2X96/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=AGBIQDOG3KFTK&psc=1

Or maybe this, which is $110 but has both guitar and microphone inputs, however may not give me a way to listen to all via headphones:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QR6Z1JB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I don't know enough about this kind of gear to know if this more expensive device will give me all I want now, plus future use for recording and/or performing.

Thanks, -Dave
There is no such thing as having "too many guitars".
Ovation Model 1117, Taylor GA3-12 12-string acoustic,
Squier Strat 6-string electric, Squier J Bass, Epiphone Special II 6-string electric, Several Ukuleles, Roland Boss GT-1, Scarlett 4i4, IK Multimedia iRig2, Kustom WAV-212 Amp, Shure PG58 mic., Tascam TM-80 mic.

davem1111

Re: Guitar interface questions - iRig 2, Joyo, MP3 Jam Tracks, etc.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 05:45:02 PM »
A much more "advanced" lead guitarist friend recommended the Boss GT-100, but at $500 that's a bit out of my budget. However, the Boss GT-1 looks like it might just do the trick and is more affordable at $213:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076T8T57L/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A34JWT04R7KMFW&psc=1

I will probably get one of these, don't think I'll go wrong with it.
Squier Strat 6-string electric, Squier J Bass, Epiphone Special II 6-string electric, Several Ukuleles, Roland Boss GT-1, Scarlett 4i4, IK Multimedia iRig2, Kustom WAV-212 Amp, Shure PG58 mic., Tascam TM-80 mic.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 10:16:27 PM »
iRigs are good for what they are designed to do ...looks like you're asking it to do more.  Does the iRig have drivers to interface with the computer?  With conventional Audio Interfaces, the computer "sees" their drivers and all audio is thus routed through that device, then out of that device's headphone jack.  This is how my Focusrite Scarlett runs, as does any other Audio Interface.  I "think" your issue is that the iRig is designed to work as stand-alone device, so perhaps isn't meant to play with computers? ...I don't know these devices but that's my hunch.

You want a cheap solution: any Audio Interface (AI) will work with a computer and do what you want.  A Focusrite Solo is a tick over a Benjamin, and the Behringer UPhorias are great bang for buck units but all been backordered for months now (likely because Behringer's factory is in China), but there are lots of different AIs out there in the low-to-mid 100 mark.  Not to mention a legit AI will open you up to many more uses than a iRig which really is good if all you want is solo practicing or jamming.  Moreover, offers more use and broader application than the Boss you reference.  An AI along with your computer is a legit studio tool, and that's really what it sounds like you need.

Edward

« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 10:23:22 PM by Edward »

davem1111

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 05:33:35 PM »
Wow - haven't signed in here for a while, and don't think I saw the reply from Edward....

So.... I bought a Roland Boss GT-1, and I love it.  It plugs into the computer via USB, and the free Boss Tone Studio software recognizes it - but is not required to use it.  From the software, you can download various patch collections from their website, create a custom LiveSet of patches and upload them to the GT-1, then use the foot buttons to cycle through them.  Or change the current patch by clicking on one on the computer, if connected to the GT-1.  You can change the functions of at least some of the buttons if you want to, and the pedal can function as a volume control OR a Wah pedal if the patch supports it.

It has a built-in looper, which I haven't tried yet. It has a headphone jack,  Aux. in, and line out for Amp. If you are playing a backing track or Youtube video on the computer, it will mix with your guitar into the phones or line out.  Plus, it can run off batteries if a plug isn't convenient.  I'm having a great time with it - highly recommended for the price.  (Recording can be done with something like Audacity on the computer, but I haven't done much with this yet, and might not after the new acquisition below...)

Today I just ordered a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 (4 inputs, 4 outputs) and a Tascam TM-80 Mic. I have decided to avoid the cheap stuff.  Looking forward to having some fun with this new gear.  8)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 12:59:40 PM »
Hey Dave,

IMO you did very well with the Focusrite 4i4 ...their Scarlett series is great sounding stuff and a bargain for such a solid piece of quality gear. 

You're going to need to commit to a DAW, of which there are a slew of them, crazy choices here!  Read up on the pros/cons of each as each has their strengths/weaknesses depending on what your goals are, and also iOS or Windows platform.  IOW, there is no "best DAW" but only the ones that work best for what you want to accomplish.  FWIW, I've used Reaper with my 2i2 (and Windows laptop) for maybe 8 months now and cannot speak highly enough of it.  Not only for its straightforward workflow, but also for the huuuuge net support out there (check out reaper.fm and you'll see the vast "Kenny" vids he has produced, uber good stuff here).  Reaper is free for 60 days (actually the trial never expires and is on the honor system, but it is easily the best 60 smackers I have ever spent on gear, no exaggeration), and that trial is a full non-cheesy version so you get to play with the real deal before committing.  Have at it, sir!! :)

Edward