Author Topic: Micarta durability...  (Read 833 times)

beninma

Micarta durability...
« on: June 25, 2020, 02:38:46 PM »
I'm curious about this, but it's not really a big deal cause Taylor doesn't charge much for saddles & nuts.

I have an Academy 12e, it just had it's 3rd birthday recently.   I only have 2 guitars (1 electric 1 acoustic) so I play both of them a lot.

When I got my guitar I adjusted the nut, and then I decided I still wanted the action a little lower.

Instead of sanding my stock saddle I ordered another one from Taylor and I took ~1/32nd of an inch off that one to lower the saddle 1/64" at the 12th fret.  It is/was still in factory spec lowered it just went from the upper end of the range to the lower end of the range.  It seemed easier than trying to find a tech to adjust the neck angle.

After 3 years I just put the original one back on as an experiment.   I'm a lot better player than I was back then and I was kind of feeling like the guitar was not so great up the neck beyond about the 9th fret and maybe a little buzzy and I couldn't get it quite right with the truss rod.

Anyway my saddle that I had sanded had some pretty decent wear & string grooves in it.   I change strings about once every 3 months if I'm using Elixirs and once a month if I'm using regular strings.

I am curious if other people have seen wear on the Micarta stuff in relatively short periods.   So far I'm not worried about the nut but that would be a lot more annoying.   The saddle is a non-issue since it's $19 and a super quick change out when doing a string change assuming you're happy with the action with the stock saddle.

The rest of the guitar looks brand new.. can't complain about anything there.  I wish my electric guitars I owned were so durable.   There's a little bit of coloration & polishing on the frets where I bend/fret and you can see graphite in the nut, otherwise it looks brand new.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 02:40:38 PM by beninma »

SDTaylorman

Re: Micarta durability...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 05:32:30 PM »
Generally action on Taylor guitars is done via neck shims and not saddle modification like you did. This may be the cause or at the very least a contributing factor to the problem. That's all I can tell you.