Author Topic: Why no locking ability on Taylor Cases?  (Read 8212 times)

SMan

Re: Why no locking ability on Taylor Cases?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 09:24:48 AM »
Can't remember ever using the lock on a guitar case.  Kind of like when I owned convertibles.  If someone wants in they will do so easily and the damage cost isn't worth it.

ebick

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 10:28:14 AM »
Can't remember ever using the lock on a guitar case.  Kind of like when I owned convertibles.  If someone wants in they will do so easily and the damage cost isn't worth it.

I've heard that argument and I am not sure I agree.  I mean I do agree that if someone has their mind set on getting your stuff, they will.  But to use your car example....if a professional thief wants to steal your car, they will break in and hot wire it and steal it.  But that's very different than you leaving the doors unlocked and the keys accessible, thus inviting/tempting the "whim" thief.
2006 Taylor T5S
2011 Taylor 814ce
2012 Taylor 214ce-n
2011 Taylor GS Mini
2012 Blueridge BR-40
2012 Alvarez ABT60
1982 Alvarez Yairi DY-46
1980 Gibson ES-175
1976 Gibson SG
1992 Yamaha FG-420-12A
2013 Squier Jaguar VMS Bass
2014 Squier Jaguar VMS Bass V
2013 Dean EAB

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 05:06:29 PM »
 I've got an older brown Taylor guitar case that has a 3 dial combination lock. I need to research the case to see if it's worth fixing up.
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 01:25:10 AM »

I've heard that argument and I am not sure I agree.  I mean I do agree that if someone has their mind set on getting your stuff, they will.  But to use your car example....if a professional thief wants to steal your car, they will break in and hot wire it and steal it.  But that's very different than you leaving the doors unlocked and the keys accessible, thus inviting/tempting the "whim" thief.
i have a friend that subscribes to the theory is that locks are to meant to keep 'honest people'
out, & for child safety, but i still use 'em (i'll dead-bolt the doors even when i'm home, out-of-habit)  -
i'm thinking that if the lock on a guitar case wasn't set, say on a older Taylor GS case, that someone
who wasn't familar with it would probably click open the lock & the other 3 latches, not notice the last
latch on the lower treble bout side, give the lid a good tug ... & tear that latch completely off anyway ::)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 07:40:33 PM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

jmontgomery

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 08:32:39 PM »
My brown Taylor case that came with my 816 has a three digit combo lock on it. Are they not still available?
I'd just by a SKB plastic case with the TSA locks on it. I'd rather scratch it up than a nice Taylor case anyway.

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 10:01:05 PM »
I'm not sure about older (vaguely before the mid-90's or so), but the cases Taylor makes themselves do not come with locks. Those made for Taylor by Access (T5, GS/x16) do come with locks.
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N