Author Topic: Greetings from Central Florida  (Read 1968 times)

Bill_77

Greetings from Central Florida
« on: July 26, 2022, 10:20:56 PM »
Hi.  New to the forum.  I have 3 Taylors and really like all of them. I am attaching a pic of the one I play the most.  I bought it this way.  I had to sing a song and dance a little to get it.  Obviously, I had to fix it first.  Structurally, it is back to where it should be and it sounds and plays wonderfully.  Right now I am working on the cosmetics of it and that is going well too.  I'll put up some pictures after it is done.  Lacquer application all done and just waiting a couple of weeks for it to dry really well before doing the polishing.  I can't wait.

Just to be clear, I really did give the seller a fair price for it.  To get a luthier to fix it would have bumped the cost up into what I could get an undamaged one for.  My savings were only realized when taking on the repair challenge myself.  As it tuns out, I am having so much fun doing it while learning how.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 10:33:11 PM by Bill_77 »
main players
2003 Taylor 714 CE
2021 Taylor Baritone 8
2017 Taylor T5
2021 Gibson J-185
Martin HD-28

SDTaylorman

Re: Greetings from Central Florida
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 11:43:36 AM »
Wow Bill...looks like you picked up one of those "slightly used" models. Congrats and I'm anxiously awaiting the "after" pictures. One of my guitars just needs a total refinish but it's not worth it according to all the pros I've brought it to. I was just wondering the other day if that might be a job I could tackle myself. You may have inspired me on that one with your project.

Bill_77

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 12:12:58 AM »
Hi SDTaylorman.  I have to tell you that the process has been exceptionally fun for me.  I might have to look for another "slightly used" after I'm done with this on.  I'll let you know how the finishing turns out.  Lots of videos out there to watch on YT.  I'm following the Stewmac video using aerolol lacquer (a guy that owns Driftwood Guitars).  He's doing an electric, but the process is the same.  I would think the knowledgeable traders on here would warn not to refinish an expensive/collectible guitar as it should keep its original finish and may affect the sound and value.  Lots of internet opinions there too but mostly not to do it unless necessary.  It's taking me quite a while to do it.  Mostly for waiting for coats to dry.  I find I am too anxious to do the next step.  The shiny gloss doesn't really show up until the polishing at the end.  Can't wait.  Waiting 2 more weeks before I can do that.
main players
2003 Taylor 714 CE
2021 Taylor Baritone 8
2017 Taylor T5
2021 Gibson J-185
Martin HD-28

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 07:53:18 AM »
Welcome to the forum. I give you a lot of credit, to tackle a project like that. I think many of us would love to see pictures of the completed project.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 08:00:04 AM »
Welcome to the forum Bill.  That guitar was in sad shape, and you have made it playable again, congratulations.  I would love to see the finished guitar.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Bill_77

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2022, 09:16:58 PM »
Thanks Taylorgirl and Mgap.  It won't be perfect, but it will play and sound as good as it ever did.  I will definitely post some pics, warts and all.  What would have happened to this one if I didn't take it on is it was being parted out.  I'm really enjoying having one that I'm not worried about dings and such.  All the ones I have had that I didn't worry about (cheap ones) weren't nearly as nice to play.  I am finding this luthier stuff to be a lot of fun too.  Very rewarding.
main players
2003 Taylor 714 CE
2021 Taylor Baritone 8
2017 Taylor T5
2021 Gibson J-185
Martin HD-28

Toucan256

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 09:23:02 PM »
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Glad you are here.

Bill_77

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2022, 05:52:35 PM »
It's done (for now).  It didn't come out as shiny as I would have liked but I'm satisfied.  The against the grain cracks were the hardest to make look right. I guess once something like that happens it is very difficult (above my skill level) to make look new again.  I guess I could have made a new back, but it wasn't worth going to that much trouble.  It still sounds good and is smooth and flat to the touch and that is the main thing.
main players
2003 Taylor 714 CE
2021 Taylor Baritone 8
2017 Taylor T5
2021 Gibson J-185
Martin HD-28

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 08:41:47 PM »
You did great! It looks really nice.  :)
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!