Author Topic: New kid on the block....  (Read 1394 times)

Lonesome Picker

New kid on the block....
« on: May 28, 2022, 01:42:44 AM »
Greetings from suburban Phoenix AZ.  I'm a long-time mediocre player, starting in high school some 50 years ago.  I've been a life-long Guild player and recent acquired by first Taylor, a 1994 vintage 855 12-string.

As one might tell from my handle, I am a big fan of singer/songwriter John Stewart.  I've been a big fan of him since the early 1970's.  I've seen John perform dozens of times.  From the mid-1990's until his death in 2008, John had an endorsement deal with Taylor.  John had many different Taylor guitars.  It seemed that everytime I saw him perform he had a different one.  He started playing an 855 in the latter part of 1994.  John never kept his guitars for very long and a few years later he offered the 855 up for sale through his internet fan page.  I was a hair too slow on the trigger and another fan bought it.

This guy kept it for a number of years before selling it to Chuck McDermott. one of John's former sidemen and collaborator.  Recently, Chuck offered it to me and I wasn't going to let it get away a second time...

For an older instrument that was a documented world traveler it is in great shape.  The case, however, shows it's mileage.  It still has a couple of FRAGILE stickers on it applied by a couple of different airlines.  The case does not seem to the original, as the warranty card in the string pocket is for a Leo Kotkke model, with a different (higher) serial number.  I remember John telling me his first Taylor 12 was a Leo Kotkke but he couldn't get used to the thicker neck and so he traded it in on the 855.

The guitar has a pick up, which I assume was factory installed, as John wouldn't buy a guitar without electronics in it.  It is a simple undersaddle pickup with a 9v battery pre-amp.  No volume or tone controls.  Anyone out there in Taylor-land have a clue what this might be?  It sounds great plugged in.  While looking around inside with a mirror I found the date MA--- 7, 1994 stamped into the underside of the top.  the "---" was covered by a brace.

Comparing the 855 to my 1971 Guild F-412 is an apples and oranges deal.  The Guild has a maple body with an arched back making it absolutely the loudest guitar I have ever played.  The 855 is no slouch, but the rosewood body adds its own special tone.  The 855 has a thinner neck (front to back) but the fretboard is about the same width.  The F412 is built like a tank and very heavy.  12 full sized Grover Rotomatics make it a bit neck heavy.  The 855 is lighter, but still solid.  Very different, very cool.

It is good to be aboard.

Earl K
Phoenix, AZ

other axes in the stable:
1972 Guild F-112
1975 Guild F-30
1971 Guild F-412
1989 Guild GF-55
2004 Gretsch 6122 Country Gentleman
2006 Gretsch 6128TSP Duo Jet
1993 Rickenbacker 360-12 V64

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: New kid on the block....
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 05:43:13 AM »
Welcome Earl, nice intro. It sounds like you have a very special 855.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Toucan256

• Veteran Member
Re: New kid on the block....
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 08:12:52 AM »
Great story. Welcome to the forum.