Author Topic: Aftermarket pickups in V Brace guitars  (Read 455 times)

Guitarless

Aftermarket pickups in V Brace guitars
« on: January 09, 2024, 01:46:52 PM »
For those of you, like me, that don’t prefer the tone of the es2 system and bought a V Brace guitar without a pickup; what pickup do you use in your non es2 v brace guitar and how do you like it?

That’s all just wondering what pickups you have in your V brace Taylor ?

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Aftermarket pickups in V Brace guitars
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2024, 12:46:18 PM »
Well, since no one answered you, I suspect it's because not many folks with a v-braced Taylor have their own pickup system installed.  Let's face it, Taylor makes it harder to buy a non-ES equipped guit, so in that made a superb marketing move that ultimately limits potential buyers.  Ok, digression over :)

May I say that a good pickup system is one that amplifies the acoustic well, offering the user more benefits than deficits because none are perfect; not a one.  And each will cater more toward this kind of player, or that kind of use, etc.  Which brings me to Baggs' Anthem SL which is a really good pickup that does a great job for amplifying an acoustic for live performance.  Some could split hairs and call the Full Anthem a better pickup, to which I'd agree if you can benefit from its perks.  Just my mere opinion and experience, but others can easily chime in with their fave and how they use it.  Hope that helps you a bit :)

Edward

Mandotim

• Old fogey based in Staffordshire, UK.
Re: Aftermarket pickups in V Brace guitars
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2024, 07:04:33 AM »
I have a Baggs Lyric (essentially half of the Anthem) in my 810. It sounds really good, but I’m not sure I’d trust it on a noisy stage; saddle plate microphones can feed back if the monitors are over-loud. I’m currently favouring a Fishman Rare Earth Blender; this is a high quality humbucker in the sound hole couple with a gooseneck microphone inside the body. Adjusting the blend between the two gives a lot of flexibility, and the sound is a pretty accurate version of how the guitar sounds acoustically.
2002 810
2014 818e First Edition
2017 814ce DLX
GS Mini Bass
Martin 000-28EC
Martin D28
Martin HD28VS 12 fret
Rob Armstrong Luthier built 000 size
Rob Armstrong doubleneck Guitar/Octave Mandolin
Rob Gibbs luthier built 000 12 fret
Rainsong WS1000
Gibson J15
Guild JF30-12
And some other stuff.
More mandolins and banjos than strictly necessary….