Author Topic: ES1 harsh sound on the b-string from e and upwards especially - the humbucker?  (Read 375 times)

Mosaau

I must admit I don't really like the sound of the ES1 system

I really would like to switch to a K&K with mic and transducers but too expensive at the moment for my economy

Has anyone found a way to bypass the humbucker, I have a feeling that it would help the sound if I play with just the transducer and the piezzo

I also started experimenting with some impulse response but the harsh sound is still there though it sounds better overall

I tried in a rehearsal room today where there was some eq on the PA but I wasn't able to dial in a good sound

any thoughts ?

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Hey there,

Lets start, if I may, with some clarification:

1. What year is your guitar as that will determine which ES1 version you have?
2. What is your PA?  What console, what speakers, and what settings?
3. What's your signal chain from guit to console ...anything in between or just a regular TS cable into the board?
4. How did you gain stage the guitar into the console?
:)
Edward

Mosaau

Edward, if I answer all those questions, will you tell me how to bypass the humbucker?

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Hey there,

I can't tell you how to bypass the humbucker because
a) I don't know how to, nor do I think it is possible as it is wired in series with body transducer(s).  The preamp switch is designed to turn off the body sensor(s) and run solely on the mag pup should stage volumes be so egregious one can't avoid feedback.  But I have never personally had this issue as the GBF is pretty dang high on the ES that I'd never even come close.  But I don't play arenas so there is that ;)
b) I personally don't think it is the "issue" you think it is.

So here's the reason I listed the questions in my response: the "harsh" sound you say you're hearing may be due to varying factors, any one or a combination of them, not least of which may be a "preference" thing, as in you just prefer a different sounding system that you are accustomed to. 

Thus, if you simply don't care for the sound and desire to switch to another system, have at it as you'd not be the first to dislike the ES (of which there are three versions of system 1, and then the ES2), nor the first to ditch it entirely and go with something else.  One's preferences are what they are, so go with it if you think that may address your malady.

Alternatively, there is no shortage of folks who do quite well with getting a good live sound out of their ES systems, and I am one of those. Moreover, as each iteration differs, one must approach them differently to get the sonic results one wants.  I trust you can appreciate that point.  So if you're asking how to address the "harshness" you raise, then yes, I am sincere in the four points I had raised in my first post.  But if you just want to turn off the bucker, call the mothership and ask, but I'd opine that you're shooting in the dark and reaching for a nuclear option when there are the standard approaches one must always address first as standard operating procedure for troubleshooting a sonic issue.  I ain't no smart aleck, and perhaps you know far more than I do about mixing live sound, so I am first trying to rule out the common issues/errors which are all too often rooted in gear and/or setup.  What I share with you is my modest experience gleaned over lots of time and varied circumstances.  Hope that makes sense to ya :)

Edward
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 11:30:57 AM by Edward »

Mosaau

I installed a Baggs Anthem and this guitar has never ever sounded better - besides from studio set up

Very easy to install

I wanted to install a K&K mini (3 transducers and a mic) but then I'd have to deal with the preamp box on the floor or in a belt with a clip

this is more plug and go and it sounds amazing