Author Topic: Hello all  (Read 991 times)

B Johnson

Hello all
« on: August 03, 2023, 09:54:23 AM »
Got a Mini Koa a couple months ago.  My first Taylor.  Great guitar; will probably buy another Taylor soon.

My first serious guitar was a mid 70s Gibson ES 330TDC  I got as a teenager.   Played everything with it.  Church youth group, country bluegrass pick up groups at street corner night (grew up in the Ozarks where this is still done),  a paid gig cover band -- Chicago, James Gang, Creedance;  a little solo James Taylor, Seals and Croft, etc.

Started a military career at 19 and dropped to a bedroom casual player with an occasional party or jam session. I kept it and it has traveled the world with me.  When i noticed how the price for my now "vintage guitar" had reached an astronomical figure , I decided it was not wise to drag it around with me so I gave it to my adult son who has it on display in his humidity controlled man cave beside an american strat.

So, now retired with a lot of time but a few medical issues that left me with weak hand strength and slight tremors, I picked up the guitar as therapy for mind and body. I had an old used Yamaha Fg that I had picked up in trade for a case of beer. With new strings and a set up, it sounds and plays great but the long neck scale and big body was more than i could handle. 

Enter the GS mini:
Love the sound but after several months of play, much of my hand strength has returned and I am finding the mini's narrow neck to be a bit confining.  Also, the .13 stock strings wear me out faster than the old Fg800 with .11s

So, looking for something else. got my eye on a Taylor GTe but don't really want the black top.

I've tried out some borrowed nylon string instruments. Love the soft touch of the fingers but don't like the tone. 

Look forward to interacting with this group as I continue my search.

B JOhnson

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Hello all
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2023, 03:11:34 PM »
Welcome to the forum B!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Toucan256

• Veteran Member
Re: Hello all
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2023, 06:46:58 PM »
Warm welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy it.