Author Topic: Fresh fish  (Read 2473 times)

Fresh fish
« on: June 24, 2023, 05:34:07 PM »
Hello, I’m new to the forum. I’m starting over at the beginning after a couple decades or so. I took guitar lessons in high school for about a year, or maybe less. For the most part I was learning pop/rock songs on a classical guitar, since that’s what I had; it was my mother’s. Freshman year in college it was stolen from my dorm room. Fast forward to Christmas and my family got me another used classical, but the magic had faded and I never really did anything with it. I was interested in pursuing other… pursuits.

Some 27 or 28 years later, my then 10-yo daughter asked for an ukulele for Christmas, so I researched and got her one. Afterwards, when my kids were at dance practice in the evenings and I’d run out of junk to watch on Netflix (didn’t take long really), I started playing her uke and rekindled an interest in playing music, along with a dad’s typical and possibly wishful thinking that I could play music with my kids! How cool, how fun! Well since then I’ve bought my 8yo son a Baby Taylor and myself a 717 Builder’s Edition and a mahogany GS Mini. My youngest daughter has a 61-key Yamaha. Now I need a bass player and a drummer!

My son and I are very slowly following Justin Guitar’s lessons, and he’s having a tough time pressing the strings. I think we’ll be cooking with gas once I get him over that hump.

The 717 lives in its case, I need to get a humidifier for it. We keep our home cool and dry (<40% on average). The mini lives out on a stand near a chair with a propped up clipboard holding sheet music. I play a little nearly every morning and most evenings, more when the kids are at dance. I’m using a capo for the first time ever, sure doesn’t leave me much space on the mini. But now when I work on ‘Landslide’ and soon some James Taylor it will sound right.

The 717 sounds absolutely wonderful to me, I wouldn’t change a thing. The design elements and appointments are just understated perfect. It smells intoxicating! I love that it’s not flashy, and I’ve long preferred had-rubbed and satin finishes to gloss. Wood should glow, not glint! With the mini I can sit on the couch and hold in my lap with the neck up by my ear, heck I can even recline with it. It smells like wood glue… but it’s simple, clean, stays in tune, and sounds great too.

I’ve read a little music theory and feel like I’ve peeked  into a secret vault without permission. I’ve learned more in a couple months this go round than I ever did in high school. I’ve learned more technique from Justin as well, than from my former instructor. I suppose this says more about me then vs now than anything else. I’m looking forward to this journey and hope to eventually just be really comfortable with the instrument and know my way around the fretboard. Eventually, I’ll try other tunings but for now the capo is enough to blow my mind.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Fresh fish
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 10:29:24 AM »
Welcome, 717!  One nice thing about guitar is that it does not depend on athletic abilities or prowess from your 20's or 30's, so it can be taken up later in life and pursued for the rest of your days.  My suggestion is to not dive into alternate tunings just yet.  Standard tuning holds a lifetime of possibilities to be explored and understood.  (I've been playing for 55 years).  My journey led me into alternate tunings via Hawaiian slack-key style about 20 years ago.  Slack key is fingerstyle based on altered tunings and an alternating thumb bass.  But I had played in standard for a long time before I went there.

How wonderful that you are playing music with your kids.  My dad was a bluegrass player and I got into guitar because he played and the family sing-alongs at home.  Those are wonderful memories and the reason that I play now at age 63.  I got serious after college and have now been playing "for real" for 40 years.  Although only I stayed with music as an adult (out of four kids) each of us cycled through guitar, then trumpet in middle and high school.  My first guitar from Christmas 1968 still hangs on my office wall.  Ukulele is a wonderful gateway -- nylon strings are easy on the fingers, and four fingers = four strings = no problem.

As for humidity, simply keeping the guitar in its case will not help much, as that environment will equalize with your home after a few days.  Casing it helps to moderate the day-to-day swings but not the "average" RH.  And 40% RH is *not* life threatening, but you may not want to go much lower - especially with a newer guitar.  The wood is still figuring out that it is now a guitar and no longer a tree.  Keep an eye on RH but don't obsess.  It takes days or weeks for any issue to appear either wet or dry, not minutes.  When I feel the need for added humidity during winter months, I use water beads from the craft store (intended to keep plants moist) in a perforated soap dish.  The beads last way longer than a dampened sponge before needing to be re-wet.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 09:22:47 AM »
Welcome to the forum 717.  Your story is very familiar to me.  I found an excellent teacher for ukulele over at Peghead nation with Marcy Marxer.  They also have excellent guitar instructors.  My granddaughter really enjoyed the ukulele lessons.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Toucan256

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 08:40:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum 717. Hope you enjoy.