Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 1411 times)

rapidroy

« on: June 05, 2023, 03:55:52 PM »
Just joined forum. Finally getting around to digging into my 1994 910. It is sweet (to say the least) but I can't seem to figure out which electronics it has. No volume  or controls like the expression system, and I don't want to take the brand new strings off to dig around. Any help would be appreciated and....hello.

A little about me......long time player, old retired guy, happily married, wife and I have run an open mike for around 10 years here in southern arizona. Got a few guitars, and enjoying the freedom to do (and play) pretty much whatever I want. Life  IS good!

DenverSteve

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 12:17:52 AM »
Welcome to the forum. You don’t really have to remove your strings to look inside.  You can loosen the strings, place a capo on the neck (I usually go around the 12th fret, pull your pins, move the strings out of the way and peek inside with a flashlight and/or your phone.  Then, reverse the process when done.  Enjoy your guitar.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023, 08:49:29 AM »
Welcome, glad you're here with us.  :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 11:03:40 AM by TaylorGirl »
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

SDTaylorman

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 10:34:54 AM »
Just joined forum. Finally getting around to digging into my 1994 910. It is sweet (to say the least) but I can't seem to figure out which electronics it has. No volume  or controls like the expression system, and I don't want to take the brand new strings off to dig around. Any help would be appreciated and....hello.

A little about me......long time player, old retired guy, happily married, wife and I have run an open mike for around 10 years here in southern arizona. Got a few guitars, and enjoying the freedom to do (and play) pretty much whatever I want. Life  IS good!

What makes you think it has electronics at all? A 910 wouldn't. A 910e would. What does your label say? Another hint would be the control panel (for Fishman system) or 3 knobs (for the expression system though you say those definitely aren't there).

Good point by DenverSteve as well. You can peek inside using that method BUT if there are no controls visible then they either don't exist or it's an aftermarket add on pickup.

rapidroy

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2023, 03:27:15 PM »
The battery wires appear to run to the output jack. There is also a black wire that appears to run under the saddle. I guess I will just spring for some new strings and take a good look around in there. Of course, that basic philosophy has landed me into.....some great stories:)......after the fact. I expected to see a pre-amp of some sort in there, but?

BTW, the label covering the neck screws just says "910" (no "E")

SDTaylorman

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2023, 03:37:30 PM »
It's clearly aftermarket then. The "e" would signify factory electronics. "C" indicates cutaway. Yours has neither apparently so someone before you must have added a pickup system.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/model-numbers
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 03:54:28 PM by SDTaylorman »

rapidroy

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2023, 04:35:05 PM »
Good to know. That way I won't feel bad replacing it. Thanks to all for the info. Happy Trails.

PaulWood

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2023, 08:07:26 AM »
Just to add another possibility to the mix, I acquired a pre-loved custom GC a few years back. The original spec included 'ES-NC' ($400 extra!)- the 'NC' is short for 'No Controls'. This means that there is no exterior sign of electrics, apart from the jack socket. It also means the ES board and battery holder are situated inside the guitar, and accessible through the sound-hole.
While your situation is more likely to be a retro-fit pickup, it is possible that it is an 'NC' version of Taylor's ES system. It will probably be obvious once you get a look inside, but, if it's not and you need to make sure, an email to Taylor with the serial number, asking the question, should result in a prompt reply, one way or the other.
I must say, I find it a real pain to have to loosen the strings every time I need to change the battery - certainly wouldn't want to do it on-stage!
As an aside, does anyone else find that batteries seem to last a lot longer with the new, improved battery holders?