Author Topic: Taylor "New" 500 Series Tonewood - Urban Iron Bark...  (Read 1543 times)

jrporter

• Veteran Member
Taylor "New" 500 Series Tonewood - Urban Iron Bark...
« on: October 02, 2022, 03:33:58 PM »
Taylor seems to have replaced mahogany with "Urban Iron Bark" in some (or all) of their 500 series guitars:

Formerly the home of our mahogany models, the 500 Series now boasts back and sides of Urban Ironbark, an all-new tonewood sourced from our always-growing urban wood initiative.

While recycling of urban resources is a responsible and possibly profitable thing to practice, I really question scrapping a wood that's long been associated with quality guitars and Taylor's 500 series. I have no idea what kind of tone wood Urban Iron Bark will make, but wonder why could Andy Powers have not just created a new line of recycled wood products. Maybe even revisit the notion of guitars made from oak pallets....
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 03:36:30 PM by jrporter »

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Taylor "New" 500 Series Tonewood - Urban Iron Bark...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 02:15:46 PM »
I concur with all points.  If mahogany is becoming genuinely hard to source, there are plenty of other acceptable woods available, like oak, walnut, osage, etc.  And many of them are domestically sourced.  It seems like Taylor had developed a business plan and products that have worked very well for decades, and are now determined to mess with the formula in every way.  I've met and like Andy, but recent trends leave me scratching my head after 25+ years as a customer.  Makes me wonder if there will be a viable Taylor company ten years from now.....

BTW, did you intend to post this in the Introduction page rather than the General Discussion page?   ;)
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby