Author Topic: 50th Anniversary Builder's Edition 314ce LTD  (Read 205 times)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
50th Anniversary Builder's Edition 314ce LTD
« on: April 10, 2024, 06:35:52 PM »
Sent to my email.  This is super nice looking guitar, with some fine features.  It is a bit out of my price range now days, but.....

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/50th-anniversary-builders-edition-314ce-ltd-kona-burst-top

enjoy
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

ScottSD

Re: 50th Anniversary Builder's Edition 314ce LTD
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 07:25:33 PM »
Nice looking guitar, non astronomical price point for an instrument with that bevel and Gotoh tuners considering where we're at these days. Not sure about the satin finish, haven't seen a satin Taylor in the wild.

May they sell a slew of them.

Scott

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 12:54:33 PM »
The Builders Edition guits are nice.  But some things...

For me, the good: the bevel and rounded edges over the entire body make for a more comfortable guitar to play; certainly seated, but even standing, it's nice. 
The BE also "took" the solid lining build spec from the old R.Taylor line (vs kerfed lining for every Taylor built) to make for a stronger top/sides/back connection which allowed then allows one to build the guitar more lightly.  Now I can't speak for the BE guitars, but can absolutely tell you the RTs are lighter than their Taylor brethren, and the RTs are very "lively" guits that vibrate and resonate beautifully.

For me, the bad: That finish is ugh ...not a good burst at all, ewww!  And I like a good-looking burst, and that is not one.  Yeah I know I know, IMO :)
And the satin is a no-go finish for me.  Not just for its tactile feel, but it makes noise against one's clothing.  Satin ain't no deal-breaker for me on an electric, but on an acoustic, no way, it's gotta be gloss for its smooth and unobtrusive silence.

That said, if one finds a good BE used (of which there are several diff models out there), that can be a pretty dang nice guit for what one might pay for a "regular" Taylor new.

Edward
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 12:56:14 PM by Edward »

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 01:34:25 PM »
The Builders Edition guits are nice.  But some things...

For me, the good: the bevel and rounded edges over the entire body make for a more comfortable guitar to play; certainly seated, but even standing, it's nice. 
The BE also "took" the solid lining build spec from the old R.Taylor line (vs kerfed lining for every Taylor built) to make for a stronger top/sides/back connection which allowed then allows one to build the guitar more lightly.  Now I can't speak for the BE guitars, but can absolutely tell you the RTs are lighter than their Taylor brethren, and the RTs are very "lively" guits that vibrate and resonate beautifully.

For me, the bad: That finish is ugh ...not a good burst at all, ewww!  And I like a good-looking burst, and that is not one.  Yeah I know I know, IMO :)
And the satin is a no-go finish for me.  Not just for its tactile feel, but it makes noise against one's clothing.  Satin ain't no deal-breaker for me on an electric, but on an acoustic, no way, it's gotta be gloss for its smooth and unobtrusive silence.

That said, if one finds a good BE used (of which there are several diff models out there), that can be a pretty dang nice guit for what one might pay for a "regular" Taylor new.

Edward

I don’t mind the burst so much but I really believe a high end instrument deserves a real BINDING.  I was very surprised to find these BE guitars have zero binding! I bought a used 614ce BE and it had dozens of dings in what would normally be the much harder binding. 
So back it went.  It was very comfortable though!

Plus I am not a fan of the ES2.

Sigh…

Play what moves YOU

Paul