Author Topic: D'Addario XS vs. Elixirs- mini review  (Read 1672 times)

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
Re: D'Addario XS vs. Elixirs- mini review
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2023, 02:40:13 AM »
I like to string most of my guitars with Elixir PB HD Light gauge strings.

Since this is not a gauge D'Addario makes, I'll just say if it works I ain't fixin' it.

So sorry, not sorry.

Still going to use Elixir HD gauge.

Don
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2023, 11:12:17 AM »
Don, I often mix my own.  Buy a set of light gauge and a set of medium gauge.  Take the trebles from the medium set and you essentially have HD's.  Take the remainder and you have a bluegrass set with heavier basses and light trebles.  I use both on different guitars, but I tend to buy those sets already assembled.  I have not done this with XS strings, not having tried them yet.  I stocked up my string box last spring before the big change, and my supply is set for a while.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Joseph Hanna

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2023, 05:39:34 PM »
CONS
- they don't feel as smooth or slick as Elixirs

Don't look now, but you're feeling the actual wound string, not the too-thick coating.  ;D

The D'Addario XS strings are coated and coated similarly to the Elixirs. Maybe, and it's a tough one, maybe the XS has a slightly more rigid (traditional) feel, but if you apply the umbrella description of a "too-thick coating" to the Elixirs, you gotta include the XS. That said, I've been using Elixir 80/20s since the day they were released, as there has just never been any reason for me personally to change. I have, however, recently tried 3 or 4 sets of the XS 80/20s and really liked them. They are so dang close in tone, and feel it's not worth tryin' to figure the difference. They have roughly the same right-hand pushback, and they appear to have roughly the same longevity. For me, it'd come down to which one was on sale. As I've mentioned in other guitar string-related discussions, and not to throw the thread into a tailspin, but I have discovered Martin's relatively new Luxe strings, which puts an entirely new spin on things for me. :)

Mandotim

• Old fogey based in Staffordshire, UK.
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2023, 07:49:25 AM »
Maybe a contrarian post, but I stopped using Elixirs years ago. I was constantly snapping G and D strings, always at the nut or bridge. Not a problem with the guitar, it was the same across half a dozen instruments, and friends had the same issue. Elixir weren’t interested when I complained. Then there were the restrictive trade practices. Elixirs here in the UK are ridiculously expensive, and Elixir don’t allow their US dealers to export cheaper strings to the UK; price fixing.
Then there’s the tone. Like all strings, Elixirs sound fine when new and played in for an hour or so. After that, they are just ‘ok’, but they stay ‘ok’ for longer. When I was gigging regularly I needed the great tone for each gig, and that meant string changes at least every other gig. With Elixirs, the cost was prohibitive, and the so-called advantages of coated strings were lost.
I’ve gone back to my old standby; D’Addario Phosphor Bronze, bought in bulk from Strings and Beyond. Cheap enough to not worry about frequent string changes, no breakages, great tone that lasts longer than expected, especially if I give them a wipe before putting the guitar away.
2002 810
2014 818e First Edition
2017 814ce DLX
GS Mini Bass
Martin 000-28EC
Martin D28
Martin HD28VS 12 fret
Rob Armstrong Luthier built 000 size
Rob Armstrong doubleneck Guitar/Octave Mandolin
Rob Gibbs luthier built 000 12 fret
Rainsong WS1000
Gibson J15
Guild JF30-12
And some other stuff.
More mandolins and banjos than strictly necessary….

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2023, 10:22:12 AM »
Got some new XS on one of my nice customs.  First impressions are GOOD

I like the sound and playability. I usually use Elixirs HD Lights, but these are XS medium

I don’t noticed the bass strings being any stiffer to fret on the XS.

Sound may be a bit more bright with the new XS, but pretty close to my old beat up ears.  Haha

We will see how they age….

Play on and have fun

Paul

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2023, 03:24:20 PM »
PSA and fwiw, Strings And Beyond has the elixir buy two get three pack now.  :)

Edward