Author Topic: Buying Another Model From the Same Series of a Guitar You Already Own?  (Read 3135 times)

Epic Audio

Re: Buying Another Model From the Same Series of a Guitar You Already Own?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2017, 11:21:37 AM »
I have bought same model guitars over the years. I also travel almost every week for work and usually check out the local guitar shops. Some, like the Tone Shop in Addison, TX have a large selection of Taylor's and often a few of the same model. I was there last week. I played two 914ce and actually called the owner over to ask what the difference was between them. One was warm, smooth and even and the other was brighter with a lot of presence and even a little edge. Not only were they they same but they had the same strings. So what's the difference. Mostly wood and a maybe a little bit in the construction. The overall condition, tightness and size of wood fibers, grain spacing... is not controllable. You get what mother nature gives. That's why every now an then you hear or find a guitar you fall in love with, everything aligns to produce the sound you like.

Old Poseur

Re: Buying Another Model From the Same Series of a Guitar You Already Own?
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2017, 06:05:39 PM »
I have an 812ce 12 fret which I love - easy to play, sounds great.  Last week I was at a bluegrass jam at my local guitar shop and had the opportunity to try a 562ce 12 fret 12 string which I immediately fell in love with.  Same body size (GC), same short scale/twelve fret, different woods (6 string is Sitka Spruce over EIR; 12 string is all hog), and of course one is a 6 string and one is a 12 string.  Both have great playability and each sounds completely different.  If the 6 string is a piano, the 12 string is a Wurlitzer organ.  The 562ce will be my next purchase.
2016 Taylor 812ce 12 Fret
2016 Taylor 552ce 12 Fret / 12 String