Author Topic: Modding My Mini And I Don't Have It Yet  (Read 2256 times)

Taylor339

Modding My Mini And I Don't Have It Yet
« on: January 26, 2012, 04:18:39 PM »
Ordered a Mini this morning from Guitar Center :).  None in stock at any of the Houston area stores  :(  Just purchased this off Ebay.  I think it will really improve the look of the headstock.  Now the waiting begins.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 04:24:29 PM by Taylor339 »
2016/2022 Custom 214ce-K DLX
2008 Gibson Custom Shop ES-339

beachbum205

• <><
Re: Modding My Mini And I Don't Have It Yet
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 07:11:47 PM »
Lotta love for mini's here.  Best of luck with yours!
8) Beachbum
Taylor 510e
Taylor 110ce
Martin D-35

<>< Psalm 33.3

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 07:14:21 PM »
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Mini and the TRC would look awesome, I'll have to check those out.

andyi5

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 02:26:56 PM »
So you're modifying your truss rod cover by adding a guitar to it! Great stuff! Is it the hog or the spruce you've got coming?

I've got a bunch of these trc's now, in koa, cocobolo, ebony, and rosewood, switch them round from time to time to change the look. They're so cheap and look far better than the plastic. I think you may need to put one extra small hole in the top of the truss rod cavity about 1.5mm below the original but it's a very small job. There's a few nice mods you can make on the GSm... new tuner buttons; bone or hardwood bridge pins... but by far the most significant I've found is putting in a bone saddle - gives a really stunning shimmer to the sound.

Taylor339

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 02:53:28 PM »
So you're modifying your truss rod cover by adding a guitar to it! Great stuff! Is it the hog or the spruce you've got coming?

I've got a bunch of these trc's now, in koa, cocobolo, ebony, and rosewood, switch them round from time to time to change the look. They're so cheap and look far better than the plastic. I think you may need to put one extra small hole in the top of the truss rod cavity about 1.5mm below the original but it's a very small job. There's a few nice mods you can make on the GSm... new tuner buttons; bone or hardwood bridge pins... but by far the most significant I've found is putting in a bone saddle - gives a really stunning shimmer to the sound.

;D  Spruce.  Ordered a hard shell case for it this morning as well.  Don't like hearing about having to drill an extra hole.  Why do you say that?
2016/2022 Custom 214ce-K DLX
2008 Gibson Custom Shop ES-339

andyi5

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 04:34:31 PM »
Yours may fit actually, depending where you ordered it from. The trc's I got I think were from China I think, and the two holes at the fretboard end fit perfectly but the top hole was slightly off (on all of them). However no need to drill, I just used an awl to bore a very tiny shallow hole in the top of the cavity which I could then wind the screw into. It's barely noticeable if you remove the trc.