Author Topic: strings for 614ce and break-in period  (Read 1594 times)

ats88

strings for 614ce and break-in period
« on: October 19, 2016, 12:42:03 PM »
I have a new 614ce, and it's pretty bright in this initial stage when I'm capo'd up above the fourth fret, which I sometimes do. I've put my regular strings on it - Martin SP phosphor bronzes. Are there alternate strings you'd recommend that would tone down the brightness in the treble just a little? I'd prefer noncoated strings.

Also, as the wood ages and breaks in, will the brightness get toned down a bit naturally?

Thanks!

HAPPYDAN

Re: strings for 614ce and break-in period
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 01:23:34 PM »
I am very interested in the 614CE, and am contemplating a purchase. What type of Elixir strings does it come with? Lights like the other -14s? I know what you mean about bright. I have a Holden Village Mini, Engelman spruce top over maple. Very bright. Capo 3rd fret or higher, it sounds like a ukulele. Elixir mediums came on it, much more subdued. I changed to Elixir lights, down right twangy. But, as the strings stretch out and age, it all seems to mellow out. So I change about every 6 months, and play mostly fingerstyle. Using a pick really makes it zing! Back to the 614CE. Even though, as you say, it's bright, does it still have a balanced tonal response, or is the bass weak? When you capo up, does it lose any sustain? The Mini sure does. I would like to try one, but I haven't seen one around the Puget Sound area yet.

ats88

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 02:26:21 PM »
I'm not sure which type of Elixir strings; I think that info is somewhere on the Taylor site. I generally dislike them so I change the strings right away.

I think the bass response is pretty good. I don't quite have a 614; I actually have a BTO but it's basically a 614 with bells and whistles. One thing I added was adi bracing, which makes it really responsive and I think helps the bass a little.

However there's not too much sustain. This is a feature of maple guitars - they have quick note decay which helps them cut through the mix better. If you want something with long sustain, you should go with something other than maple.

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 06:53:59 PM »
I had a 614 for awhile, and put DR Rare strings on it to darken the sound a bit.  Very good strings.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

fmbstrummer

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 10:26:30 AM »
Welcome to the forum ATS!  A lot of good advice / opinions here. 

The re-voiced 614CE comes with Elixir HD lights, Phosphor Bronze.  Nano, I believe.  At least, mine did. 

I may experiment with John Pearse Phosphor Bronze, since I have them.  And they are uncoated. 

I really like the Elixir strings in general. 

Enjoy the 614!

FMB

NavyChap

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 11:10:54 AM »
ATS88, welcome aboard!
I guess everyone's ear is different -- I prefer to use D'Addario Phosphor Bronze lights (uncoated)!!  To each his own!!!
2015 Taylor 314ce
1997 Taylor 414ce
2005 Zager ZAD50CE
2016 Seagull S6 Original
2016 Epiphone PR-5E/N