Author Topic: Grooves in Fingertips - A different problem?  (Read 1871 times)

dbvirago

• My Words
Grooves in Fingertips - A different problem?
« on: April 16, 2021, 11:15:55 AM »

I haven't seen this discussed so thought I would ask. I've been playing almost a year now and callouses are nice and tough. And like most of us, I get grooves in my fingertips when I play.

My problem is that sometimes, but not all the time, as I finger a chord, my fingertip will land on the edge of the groove, then slip into the groove making a harsh clang. The other thing that happens, mostly on the ring finger and pinky, is as I change chords, the groove will 'grab' the string, making an unintended pull-off.

Any suggestions? I will buff them before I start, but then a new groove will evolve.
One Note on One String

Taylor A10
Taylor 714ce

jpmist

• Soundcloud
Re: Grooves in Fingertips - A different problem?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 07:10:52 PM »
Pics would help, but my hunch is that much of this will gradually go away in time as your technique improves. Eventually you'll learn to lift your fretting finger straight up as opposed to laterally which might cause the unintended note. That your calluses are so deep as to grab the string is curious, hence the need for pics, but maybe try some generic skin lotion to hydrate and soften your fingertips before playing to improve your situation.

There are a lot of unknowns here so this is all just a guess of course. . .
Taylor 322CE, Larrivee OO-05, Larrivee OOV-03, Strats
https://soundcloud.com/jpmist/got-cover

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 08:09:48 PM »
...Any suggestions? I will buff them before I start, but then a new groove will evolve.

I will take a stab at this, sir: don't overthink it.  No, seriously.  :)

You've likely made great strides and progress in this year of playing; you will make more as you go.  It's a long journey, this playing music thing, and you will find yourself changing your grip, positions, angles, a myriad of variables really, as you go further.  Ask anyone who's been playing a long time and they'll undoubtedly tell you there are things that they wish they learned early in their playing, and other things that they swore were right and later found these were hindrances.  And then many others who say there are "no rules."  The gamut of "how do I play this thing" runs wide.  If one is a true virtuoso, then one eschews whatever rules and grows to be a monster player ...one of my idols is the late EVH who could rip up an acoustic like nobody's business.  And countless others, to be sure.  Then there are we mere mortals who need structure --the rights and wrongs-- so we can learn to play better, genuinely better, such that any listener would agree that one has improved.

So that's me meandering response.  What you're doing isn't necessarily a "problem" as much as it may need some "nuancing" to improve.  OR, it perhaps is a genuine problem that you need to correct now or you'll cripple your progress.  My feeling (as one who has been around the block a bit), is it's the former.  I'd suggest maybe a live teacher to look at your playing and form ...and this doesn't have to be a long-term thing, but a genuinely good teacher can help with those buggaboos that can shortcut progress.  Alternatively, check out more videos and playing style and tips: not all are good, but how do you know until you try some of those lessons that prove themselves usable or bogus.  And one of the biggest things I have learned over the years: use as little finger pressure as is necessary to get a clean note.  This not only improves one's playing, but allows one to last a 3-hour set and not feel like they've run a marathon.  So while I don't have a prescription for ya, perhaps I offer just a few things to think about.  Play on, sir ...enjoy the journey that is as tough as it is rewarding! :D

Edward

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 10:58:45 AM »
I have not experienced that specific issue.  Playing guitar means pressing down on rather narrow bits of wire, so grooves are a natural result. 

What I have long done is keep a medium-grit foam sanding sponge next to my easy chair.  When watching TV or reading, I will sand the ends of my fingertips to remove the excess callous and smooth them - maybe needed twice a week if playing a LOT.  This is also when I file my playing nails too using a [highly recommended] Wolfram glass nail file.  Sanding is best done when you have not played for a while, like overnight, and your fingertips are not freshly indented.  After yesterday where I got in about three hours of playing total, my index and middle fingers still have some residual indentation this morning.  I will probably hit them with the sanding sponge later today before playing again this evening.  You can get these sponges or foam sanding blocks at big box home improvement stores, Harbor Freight, Ace Hardware, etc.  Look in the paint section.

I admittedly have a strong, heavy grip and build up callus faster than I can wear them down, so sanding is a necessary part of my regimen.  My calluses are thick enough that on a whim I can grab a six string guitar and play for two hours, or a twelve string guitar for 60-90 minutes.  If I get lazy about maintenance, then thick spots will happen and points of callus can even peel off (ouch).  I guess we have to suffer for our art.    :o

Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

dbvirago

• My Words
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 06:59:09 PM »
Thanks, everyone. A lot of great stuff to think about. Sanding my fingertips more often and making a conscious effort to play lightly.
One Note on One String

Taylor A10
Taylor 714ce