Author Topic: NGD: Vacations sure are hard on the guitar budget, aren’t they?  (Read 1326 times)

Bob Womack

• Now we've got 'em where they want us!
    • The Musician's Room
I’m on vacation.  Staycation.  Home with my darling wife.  We’ve been doing the usual sorts of things: home improvement, planning and decorating for Christmas, recreationally visiting stores that we haven’t had time to peruse, etc.  Vacations have traditionally been bad for my guitar budget because I get time to visit the local guitar stores and my wife, my enabler, goes along with me.

It is an especially hard period right now:  Even I have acknowledged that I have too many guitars.  I’ve farmed some of them out to live at the studio and I still can’t make ‘em fit in the guitar room.  It has become a jumble.  I had begun to discuss this with my wife at the beginning of the staycation and she was amazed that I had come to the conclusion that a few had to go eventually.  The last thing I wanted was another guitar.

Yesterday we made up a list of places to visit for shower rods, par38 bulbs, meds, and coffee.  One of the established shops in the area, Alpha Music, was near a store we were visiting and I remarked that it had been months since I had been there and they had a new manager.  She cheerfully piped up, “We ought to drop by!”  Oh my.  How could I refuse?

When we got there we just wandered along looking at the three walls of guitars and talking with a salesman.  He pointed out a few new Taylors and Guilds.  As we discussed Andy’s new designs at Taylor my eyes dropped onto a Taylor grand concert 12 fret with the 24.75” scale and I asked to take it for a quick spin.  I’m a Gibson scale guy who has shorter fingers and who benefits from shorter scale.  When I got the thing in my lap I was amazed with the rich sound and the fantastic feel of the guitar and naturally just started running down my favorite fingerstyle tunes.  My wife looked over and said, “Wow, you are really comfortable playing that.”

What is it the Eagles penned?  “Hopeless romance, here we go again.”  This is a 312e 12 Fret.  It has a sitka top, sapele back and sides, mahogany neck, a bound, pure black ebony board with no streaks, a stripey rosewood headstock overlay, and diamond inlays.  I had wondered if the intonation was good on the short-scale Taylors because intonation is really important to me.  Check!  The action was nice and low and the strings felt slinky because of the scale.  And it just felt like home.

The salesman said, “You know, the boss still has the Black Friday sale up.  This one is twenty percent off.”  I did the math.  Ding, ding, ding.  The bells went off in my head.  I said, “I don’t do anything on impulse.  I need to think about this one overnight.”  I asked if he took trades (yes) and then my wife and I headed out to finish our excursions.  Back in the car she said, “I liked how that guitar sounded.  I could tell you were extremely comfortable with it and felt at home.  And you know what?  I watched you face and could tell you really loved it.  It would make the perfect guitar for the couch.  Let’s make it happen, one way or another.  We’ll make it an early Christmas present.”  Oh, my gosh.

We eventually got home and I took stock.  I had a fistful of dollars and three low-level electric guitars I needed to clear out to give me room.  I knew my guitars’ retail prices and figured out their wholesale value based upon that.  I figured between that and my cash I could possibly come up with the fodder to make the deal without burdening the family too much.  My wife said, “We’ll make it happen.”

Today we went back to the dealer with our pile o’ stuff and got down to brass tacks. We had a figure in mind for the trade-in, a fraction of the Taylor’s price, and were willing to forget the trade and sell the guitars on the open market after we bought the guitar if we couldn’t get what we needed from them.  The store’s tech evaluated the trade guitars and our salesman went to the boss for an estimate.  We sat and stared off into space waiting for a verdict.  Eventually he came back with a smile and said, “I convinced my boss to make an even deal.”  My wife and I wanted to jump up and shout but instead we tried to hide our excitement.  Never in our wildest dreams would we have expected that.  This meant I was recovering nearly all my investment in the three guitars.  We hadn’t even bargained.  What was it Amy Grant said?  “A good deal is only a good deal if it is a good deal for everyone involved.”  A few minutes later I walked out of the store with my money still in my pocket and the new guitar in my hands without paying a penny.  We are still amazed and feel extremely blessed.  I spent some time this evening sitting on the couch and enjoying the high-end zing across the low strings and the comfortable action.

So here is a first pic in low light.  Pics or it didn’t happen, eh?

So, storage problems solved and new guitar day accomplished in one swell foop.

Bob
"It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE  MUSICIAN'S ROOM

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: NGD: Vacations sure are hard on the guitar budget, aren’t they?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 07:11:59 AM »
Great story - really nice guitar - congrats on the purchase and your enabling partner!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 07:41:30 AM »
An excellent story, a great deal, and wow, what an awesome new guitar.  Sounds like your having a super good vacation.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 05:56:37 PM »
I love it! Congrats! Funny thing is, your wife is exactly like my husband.....an enabler. We are pretty lucky, aren't we?!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 06:19:39 PM »
wow! that was an awesome story! congrats! i love GC 12 frets too!
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 06:37:52 PM »
Awesome story, thanks for sharing and congrats!

“It's those restless hearts that never mend.....”
New Kid in Town, The Eagles
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

shorty

• Veteran Member
  • I love guitars way too much!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 07:01:10 PM »
Neat story...congrats!!
2014 Taylor 614ce Florentine/Blackcherryburst
2013 Benedetto Bambino Deluxe
2012Taylor BTO GS Macassar/Redwood
2012 Martin GPCPA4
2011 Taylor Fall Ltd GS Cocobolo
2011 Taylor Fall Ltd GC 12 Fret Koa
2009 Taylor 814ce TSB
2008 Taylor 654ce
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GA Koa
2005 Takamine EAN10ce

Bob Womack

• Now we've got 'em where they want us!
    • The Musician's Room
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 09:02:55 PM »
I love it! Congrats! Funny thing is, your wife is exactly like my husband.....an enabler. We are pretty lucky, aren't we?!
We are!  Thirty-seven great years and we are madly in love.

Bob
"It is said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel for they will say both no and yes.' "
Frodo Baggins to Gildor Inglorion, The Fellowship of the Ring

THE  MUSICIAN'S ROOM

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 09:34:14 PM »
We are!  Thirty-seven great years and we are madly in love.

Bob
That is great! You have +9 years on us.  ;)
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 07:37:53 AM »
That is a great story. I am also married to an enabler but she doesn’t like me to sell any either! I love the GC 12 frets and those are my go to guitars now. Enjoy.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

VeezyTreezy

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 08:43:40 PM »
Great story, Great guitar, Great wife!
17 712ce fltd - Cedar / Koa
16 326ce - ltd baritone
16 614ce - spruce / map
16 714ce fltd - spruce / koa
15 514ce proto - spruce / hog
15 714ce fltd- spruce / b.h. sass
15 812ce 12 fret - spruce / eir
02 614ce - spruce / map

16 fender usa elite strat
15 fender usa  elite tele

donlyn

• Veteran Member
  • De gustibus non disputandum
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 11:40:42 PM »
All the best stories have happy endings. Enjoy.
* The Heard:
85 Gibson J 200  sitka/rosewood Jumbo
99 Taylor 355  sitka/sapele 12 string Jumbo
06 Alvarez AJ60S  englemann/mpl lam m Jumbo
14 Taylor 818e  sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10  all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor  all walnut Jumbo
16 Taylor 412e-R SE  sitka/rosewood GC
16 Taylor 458e-R  sitka/rosewood 12 string GO
21 Epiphone J-200  sitka/maple Jumbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jumbo

* Tenor Ukuleles:
Kala KA STG
Kala KA APT5 CTG 5 string

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2017, 01:03:28 AM »
Outstanding story, Bob!  Great tale and a fabulous wife, to be sure!  I am likewise uber-fortunate in this department.  Enjoy the new addition in health and happiness, sir!!  :D

Edward