Author Topic: 214CE hiss noise  (Read 2531 times)

bjornc88

214CE hiss noise
« on: March 21, 2017, 05:08:42 AM »
I just got this guitar new, and I love everything about it except the pick up so far.. I tried different cables and other guitars, but only the Taylor produces this noise. Even checked the battery and it's fully charged. Completely unusable in my opinion. Should the guitar be this noisy for a Taylor? I attached a recording running through my Scarlett 2i4.

Thanks!

ericjungemann

Re: 214CE hiss noise
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 09:00:12 AM »
Do you have light dimmers in the room in question?
Eric Jungemann
GS Mini E Koa Plus
150e

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 09:32:31 AM »
This guitar has the Taylor ES-2 system, no?

I think the clue might be here: "The Expression System 2 is designed to be plugged-in using a standard quarter-inch guitar cable, which will work in every circumstance: with an acoustic guitar amplifier, a standard direct box, or any other guitar-ready application. Note: The ES2 is designed with different circuitry than previous versions of the ES and will not work with a balanced TRS jack. "
https://www.taylorguitars.com/sites/default/files/2449-ES2-Tech-Sheet-2014.pdf

So, I know you've said you've tried "different cables", but does that mean you've tried both TS and TRS 1/4" plugs? 

I am guessing here, but I think a TS cable connected to the front of your Scarlett with the switch on the Scarlett set to "INST" might be the right combination. Try it and see?

If not, try both TS and TRS cables with both LINE and INST settings. My guess is one of those combinations will eliminate the hiss - it's likely caused by impedance mismatch and not a defect.

"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

bjornc88

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 08:33:12 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for your input. I have it already set to the INST setting, also I tried the LINE but it's still there. My cable has the single line; I guess it's the TS cable. I'll try to get a hold of a TRS for the sake of testing then report back in. Really not sure what else, hmm...

Paul Tobias

• Tobiasmusic.com
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 12:27:22 AM »
Have we determined if this is ES 1 or ES 2 ?
Paul Tobias
Tobias Music - Taylor Dealer For Over 30 Years
Downers Grove, IL

bjornc88

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 08:47:34 PM »
ES2 according to the sales associate. The serial shows it was made in 2016 :)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 10:39:16 AM »
TRS and TS cable will make zero difference in noise in this situation.  An ES2 designed for a conventional TS cable will not "see" a difference if you use a TRS cable; it is electrically irrelevant since there are no electrical connections to the "ring" portion of the cable so it really is as if it aint there.

Lighting, dimmers, and "dirty" electrical issues and ground faults most typically create 60Hz hum ...that's a low hum, not hiss.  So I assume you're talking high-pitched "hiss" and not low-pitched hum, correct? 

If it is hiss, then I'd suspect you have some kind of impedance mis-match into your recording input, or a bona fide fault in the ES' preamp. 

1. You've tried other known good cables and no difference?
2. Try your guitar at the shop you bought it and simply plug into an acoustic guitar amp (or a PA is preferable!), and hear what you get.  If it's silent, which it absolutely should be, then your issue is the impedance/gain mis-match between the ES and your recording unit.

Edward

bjornc88

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 09:45:44 PM »
I'll have to make a trip to the store when I got time on the weekend, I guess :(

There is a slight 60hz hum, but what I hear is also white noise. I'll attach a graph. I even tried a week old cable, exact same results.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 11:08:22 PM »
Wow, a graph ...you're seriously efficient! 
Your resonant peak is ~62Hz ...that's practically textbook ground hum from "dirty" AC, which can range from dimmers, flourescents, motors, to poor grounding or ground loops in the house.  Difficult to pin down in the home.  Note, however, that your hum is louder on your graph than your hiss (north of 12K), though your ears tell you opposite: that could just be perception.  First thing I'd do is try an amp in the store to eliminate or confirm your ES as fault. 

While you're at it, bring your recording unit to the shop and A-B test ...that'll help you confirm/deny this or that piece of equipment.  If clean, then troubleshooting this kind of thing is via outlet-by-outlet testing with your guitar and a known clean amp.  Tell us what ya find :)

Edward
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 11:11:12 PM by Edward »

N+1

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 07:17:14 AM »
I had an earthing problem with my 210ce DLX when I tried to record using the ES2 pickup, at first. The classic symptom: does the noise disappear if you touch the outer metal part of the jack?