Author Topic: How much does your all wood Taylor really change with age?  (Read 4524 times)

TLAW

Re: How much does your all wood Taylor really change with age?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2017, 08:24:59 PM »
I always heard "good fences make good neighbors" apparently so does good soundproofing!
1913 Weymann Banjolin
1996 Strat/Texas Special
2003 Martin HD28
2007 Rover F Style Mandolin
2015 Eastman VL501 Violin
2017 Lamberti Master Series Guarneri Violin
2017 Taylor 914ce Sunburst
2019 Collings CJ35 Sunburst
Several other Also Rans

Matt23

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2017, 11:14:40 AM »

"I have a 40 year old Martin I have had since it was new and did this. Laid it across a stereo speaker for 8-10 hours a day for longer than I can remember. IMHO it worked. My neighbor wasn't too happy since I had the stereo cranked, lol."

Thanks for the tip - hadn't thought of trying this "technique" to loosen up my 8 month old 414ce.
So, damx the neighbors 8) this is important!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 11:53:08 AM by Matt23 »

cotten

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 02:38:09 PM »
I have been using a Tone Rite on my 314 and a like the results.   When I pick it up to play it sounds like someone has been playing it for hours.   The top feels responsive and it rings like a bell.
A lot of people say they hear a marked difference, especially in new guitars, after "treating" them with a Tonerite. Their web site lists a few well known names who agree. https://www.tonerite.com/ In fairness, not everyone agrees. I don't own one, but Tim McKnight says that using one on his fine custom guitars helps teach them that they are no longer trees in a lot shorter time than playing alone would do, especially initially. I trust his wisdom and experience on such things.

cotten
Soli Deo Gloria

Arlington

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 11:36:56 PM »
I've owned my 714ce for about a month and I already notice a substantial difference. The guitar sustains notes longer and the bass has mellowed out. it could have been a string change that I did a few days ago. Swapped out elixirs for a different brand.  ;)
Arlington

714ce

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 09:13:37 AM »
I have been using a Tone Rite on my 314 and a like the results.   When I pick it up to play it sounds like someone has been playing it for hours.   The top feels responsive and it rings like a bell.
A lot of people say they hear a marked difference, especially in new guitars, after "treating" them with a Tonerite. Their web site lists a few well known names who agree. https://www.tonerite.com/ In fairness, not everyone agrees. I don't own one, but Tim McKnight says that using one on his fine custom guitars helps teach them that they are no longer trees in a lot shorter time than playing alone would do, especially initially. I trust his wisdom and experience on such things.

cotten

If it's one thing I've learned on forums, a lot of people say everything8) There are at least 1,000,000 forum posts on Tonerite, both for and against, on guitar forums. Google it, you'll be busy for weeks....

As I posted earlier in this thread, there are two components of a guitar "opening up" or changing over time, and Tonerite could only possibly address one of the components, if that:

"There's two major components of this. One is the stress inherent in a built acoustic. As the wood acclimates and settles, the "system tension" caused by glued joints and other points of contacts can reach a more steady state equilibrium. This is exactly what ToneRite addresses, and is why you have to keep doing it to the guitar to make the effect last. It's a slow process, but ToneRite can temporarily speed it up, until you stop the vibrations and the "system" snaps back to where it was. You can even sometimes experience by playing a newer guitar by vigorously strumming for 5 or 10 minutes. You can sometimes actually hear it change.

The second component is what you ask about - the wood itself at the cellular level. Over time (10+ years typically) the resin (not the same as "sap") crystallizes and becomes harder. This can add more upper and lower partials and a more bell-like tone. It's what I heard in that cheap antique guitar.

Your mileage may vary guitar to guitar, but yes in general there will be a difference and many would say improvement over time. "

Most, including Tonerite, would agree any effect it has on a guitar is mostly temporary, which is why you have to keep doing it. And this re-enforces what it does and doesn't address.

"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

cotten

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 02:55:49 PM »
Oh, I'm very aware of the varying opinions on Tonerite. That's why I mentioned them, and why I mentioned that after he completes a guitar, Tim McKnight likes to use one on his guitars before he ships them out. He thinks it's worth the effort. Some don't. That's all I'm saying.

cotten
Soli Deo Gloria

Epic Audio

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2017, 09:49:07 AM »
All wood guitars (instruments) change over time. This is greatly impacted by the environment they are kept in. A older, vintage acoustic kept in a decent environment, room temp and about 50% humidity, will resonate more than a new guitar. This is largely due to the fibers in the wood. They start out compressed and tight. This is good for the strength of a tree but not for tone. Over time the fibers loosen up and provide more space for the wood to resonate. This is often referred to as the guitar opening up. The more it is played the fast it will open up due to the vibration from the strings. Some people will put their guitar in front of speakers and play music into them to loosen it up. There are also systems you can purchase that do this as well.