Author Topic: Builders Reserve (as per W&S)  (Read 5040 times)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Builders Reserve (as per W&S)
« on: January 22, 2012, 05:34:26 PM »
OK, so I just got my copy in the mail (I never bother looking at it online) and after all the discussion here, I couldn't wait to dig in and see/read for myself.  Wow, bunch of changes!  Some changes I like, some I don't care for, but it's all good as a company has to do what it has to do to keep things fresh and newbies interested.

But one change that I am very curious over is all the Builders Reserve stuff.  The first thought that came to mind is "pricey"!!!   Just gotta be.   The amp/guitar pairing looks fun ...but where the heck did that amp come from?  Zero word or hint as to its origin or guts.  No way Taylor in-sourced the R&D on that one; so who they heck is building that for them, and is it any good, I wonder.

The solid lining on that one GS, wow!  OK, that's serious R.Taylor territory there.  So this is what "those five guys" are doing!  I guess the "Builder's Reserve" is the new RT without the "RT" label ...or at least this looks like the factory's direction.  I wonder if "RT" as a marque will ever come back, especially if the Builders Reserve thing takes off. 

Edward

ColinWright

• Canapeel
Re: Builders Reserve (as per W&S)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 06:01:11 PM »
I agree about the "five guys"... seems like they've turned their attention to some very cool gear.

But... (there's always a "but"  ;) )

For me, I'd rather have the latitude to order something to my specs from those "five guys" than have to hope that they build a small run combination of instruments that get "in the neighborhood" of what I might've ordered on my own.  And frankly, with small runs (less than 50 units), there'll be a lot of competition for some of those Builder's Reserve units.  With the "five guys" building me an R Taylor to my specs, I only have to compete for their time, not for the instrument itself.

And yeah, I know I could go BTO to get just what I want, but it seems like there were some fundamental differences in some of the design points between the Taylor BTO and the R Taylor builds.

I'll keep watching for the special instruments from Taylor (like the GS Koa fall limited, for example) that speak to me.  For me though, I'm hoping that R Taylor comes back in 2013 once the Builder's Reserve has built a good foundation in 2012, with the return of the "five guys" to the other (R Taylor) build shop.

My two cents.  YMMV.  :-)
Colin Wright

R Taylor: '11 Style 1 12-string (Sitka/Maple); '11 Style 2 (Sinker/EIR)
Taylor: '12 518e, '11 Koa GS-LTD, GS Mini (Spruce)
Other: '10 Carvin C350

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 06:04:30 PM »
hi Edward,
in terms of the uke, Andy Powers (whose middle name is Taylor) was highly-involved in the hand-builds &
the matching guitar with solid lining & side braces (a la RT), i'm wondering if the dimensions of the body
on the ukulele were also designed to be aesthetically in-line with the GS (scaled-down), as that is the
shape that was decided on after likely building a myriad of prototypes, for it's tonal qualities, or both ???

there have been pics of an amp sporting a Taylor logo in the past in W & S, but it was a
more traditional looking cabinet with tolex covering & the typical corner hardware & handle

i was looking at the bottom half of the page before (15), as 16 & 17 show the uke, guitars & amp, &
it states that there will a total of 4 BR guitars & amps (one each quarter), which leads to a huge question -
will the guitars be offered in different body shapes (GA, GC & DN) with different woods (such as adi, redwood,
cocobolo, macassar ebony, madagascar rosewood), with the armrest & contrasting amp cabinets as well ???

also, i'm wondering if they'll all be acoustic electric or if there willl be T5/T3/SB BR models released with an
electric amp, or perhaps that will be something that will be developed & forthcoming over the next few years ???

if the successive runs of guitars & amps are of the same # (30), there will be a total of 150 BR guitars made
this year, along with 120 amps & the 30 hand-built ukuleles ... i imagine that is keeping  the RT guys busy ;)

i guess that each will be revealed in the following issues of W & S, along Spring LTDs, if any, in the next issue ...
i'm definitely staying tuned :D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 04:45:26 PM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

ColinWright

• Canapeel
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 06:54:07 PM »
150 instruments from the "five guys" would be about right for the R Taylor output, I suppose.  The RT 12-string I just received (ordered right at the end of the October window) is #057 for 2011.  I'd heard rumbles that previous years had totals closer to 300 instruments, which would make the quarterly Builders Reserve instruments pretty practical.

Regardless of what's released, it should be fun to watch... with the occasional dabbing at the drool!
Colin Wright

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 10:07:33 PM »
Yeah, definitely fun to see what happens with this Bulders Reserve venture.   Both the Koa and the flamed Mahog are sights to behold, to be sure.  Funny that there's no mention of the solid lining on the mahog, though ...I hope that's an oversight in print only.

But like you, Colin, I seriously hope RT comes back as a real marque, taking orders, and back to building some of the finest guitars out there, bar none.  Given that I have been around the block with Taylors (and I love em, to be sure), the RTs are simply on another echelon of guitar craftsmanship; and it's craftsmanship you can hear!  Even more, as a "small company" that accepts what you specifically want, yet with all the support/resources of the full mothership, well it just doesn't get better than that.

Edward

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 11:08:49 PM »
The amp/guitar pairing looks fun ...but where the heck did that amp come from?  Zero word or hint as to its origin or guts.  No way Taylor in-sourced the R&D on that one; so who they heck is building that for them, and is it any good, I wonder.

I'm pretty sure Taylor has had the amp project going on for a while. I swear I saw a prototype several years ago in some kind of demo video Brian Swerdfeger was doing. Same thing happened with the solidbody electric -- he was using an early version on a demo video at least a year before they came out.

Considering all the stuff Taylor does in-house, I'd be really surprised if they just put a fancy box on someone else's work for that amp. I'm guessing they're still in the final stages for a general release. I wouldn't be surprised to see that this summer.
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 12:29:54 AM »
Taylor has been working on an amp for quite some time now. I think it makes sense to release them as a Builders' Reserve. I think it's a good move that the amp is tightly coupled to the ES. The only control on the amp is volume. So whereas I don't think Taylor would want to compete in the general acoustic guitar amplification business, they do have a good niche with an amp optimized for the ES. I like that they bi-amp it (one amp for the woofer, one for the tweeter).
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 10:49:13 AM »
I guess my surprise at the Taylor amp is not that they developed it in-house ...clearly they have demonstrated both the determination and wherewithal to do so much in-house over the decades.  But more that it has been kept such a well-guarded secret ...at least I have heard zero mention of this project over that years.  Typically something gets out, but I've never heard any noise of this one.  And like so much of what Bob and Co do, I am glad that they keep their projects in-house as it offers them the control to "tailor" ;) it to their liking.  We'll see what the final amp's iteration looks (with particular interest in the controls, or lack thereof) and sounds like. :)

Edward

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 11:06:28 AM »
But more that it has been kept such a well-guarded secret ...at least I have heard zero mention of this project over that years.

Well-guarded outside of the San Diego area, perhaps. I've seen prototypes in person as early as 2005. (Not that look anything like the Builders' Reserve, but nonetheless it was an amp with a Taylor logo on it.) I find that Taylor is rarely "top secret" about these things. Maybe it's just the friends-of-friends I have, but I usually find out big news beforehand. I knew Andy Powers was coming to Taylor back in December '10, 'cause one of our mutual friends just had to share the news. But then again I'm not going to post every little thing in public.
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 11:15:42 AM »
hi Edward,
on other projects i've seen, there has been no mention of it until the 'roll-out' -
i would think that, similar to automobiles being tested, it would be possible to
build prototypes that look like something else from the outward appearance

for instance, i know of a DNProto that has the DN5 aesthetics & woods, but with the body taper, solid lining &
side braces that were specific to another 'brand' & also a GS (no-cutaway) with 400 series appointments,
sitka/rosewood with asymmetrical bracing ... both were pre 07 models with the scarfjoint headstocks :o

i believe that it in terms of what they're working on, it is unlikely it'd be left on a restaurant table somewhere ;)

i've been to a F & F sale once & it is truly like a 'box of chocolates', imho -
it sounds like those that went last December got some gourmet artisan treats :D

it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Brian Swerdfeger @ Taylor

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 01:22:05 PM »
So...

Re: Amp
- we have been making amps since 2005 for friends, artists, and family
- the amp is 100% designed and built here
- we are not ready to sell it as a standard model, so we'll make 30 per quarter until we're ready
- have you seen the "feature"? (the only control is a single volume knob -  8))

Re: RT
- we have future plans for RT, maybe as early as Fall of this year

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 02:23:49 PM »
Re: RT
- we have future plans for RT, maybe as early as Fall of this year

Thank goodness!  I really wanted to get one of those some day!  Whew...my mind is at ease.  ;D
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 02:28:03 PM »
Have I mentioned how much I appreciate your being here, Brian?? ;)

Thanks for that, man!  Not only for chiming in to us Taylor nerds (yeah, I embrace my inner nerd :D), but for giving us the scoop on stuff! 

So since '05, eh ...cool!  Not that I am surprised ...reminds me of Neve's involvement a decade back.  Awesome that Taylor continues to do things the way they want!

And the return of RT as a "company" is great ...very welcome news for me.  Even if I never own another, I love the whole premise for its existence.

Edward

ColinWright

• Canapeel
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 06:05:00 PM »
RT may be back soon?!?!?!?

Best news I've heard all day!
Colin Wright

Redwood Tree

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 08:12:54 PM »
Thanks Brian , I knew The Taylor amp would be a house produced item.  Love things that are simple myself (1 knob, volume)
Like that flamed mahogany GS and Amp pairing ,will keep an eye out on that offfering... Just stunning!! 8)
Tom
"So Many Taylors Not Enough Talant"