Author Topic: How to make my guitar play like it has a capo  (Read 11970 times)

Eclimax13

Re: How to make my guitar play like it has a capo
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 12:45:11 PM »
Well he completely screwed up my guitar.  And gave me am attitude for showing him that it buzzed out from 10th fret up
814ce Tobacco Sunburst 2011
4 Taylor pub glasses

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 12:50:19 PM »
What happened...... ???

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
  • What His holiness demands, His grace has supplied
    • RickLangdon.com
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 01:52:01 PM »
You might also consider looking for a short scale guitar as an option. 

That's what I was thinking.  Perhaps what you are liking about the capo feel is the shorter scale effect ... good setup to your playing style is always a good thing too ...

-- Scriptor

Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/58-Weeping-in-Ramah-mix-2.mp3

For more very simple demos of original music recorded with Taylor guitars: http://www.ricklangdon.com

Eclimax13

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2012, 05:20:34 PM »
The guys promised me everything I asked him to do.  Lower the action without creating any buzz.  "Sure, no problem man, I can go even lower than what you were thinking".  Great, I said, but can that be done without any buzz.  Absolutely he says.  Check out all my plaques on the wall from various guitar companies. 

Upon returning he tells me to test drive it.  And that I'll be very happy.  HA.  The guitar is completely unplayable.  Any sort of medium strumming creates buzzing and no matter what I do, any fret above the 10th lower e string buzzes right out.  He tells me that this is normal when you lower the action.  Then he tells me that I have to give up some sound for playability.  Needless to say I was not happy and didn't pay him.  Now I need to get a new saddle.
4 Taylor pub glasses

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2012, 05:26:26 PM »
Bummer, a PITA for sure...  :(  Did he just sand down the saddle or did he mess with the nut too?

Eclimax13

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2012, 05:29:51 PM »
Just the saddle I believe.  Plus he put a nice swirl mark, probably from changing the strings, in the top.  Guitar was flawless when I gave it to him. 
4 Taylor pub glasses

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2012, 05:31:48 PM »
Oh man, so sorry to hear that.  Do you think you can buff out the marks?  Not sure where you are but a shop might have a new saddle or a call to Taylor will get one PDQ.

Eclimax13

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2012, 05:56:28 PM »
I'll be calling Taylor on Monday since this guy was on their authorized repair list.  Even the guy who was standing behind me said his guitar buzzed after getting it back from him.  I'm actually really depressed right now about my guitar.  Luckily it's an easy fix.  I can sand a saddle down and change strings.  I was looking for this guy to file the nut, which he didn't. 
4 Taylor pub glasses

sachi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2012, 06:00:05 PM »
That sucks. But don't despair; you'll be able to put it right.
Sachi

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor, Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.

Eclimax13

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2012, 06:04:01 PM »
My poor, poor 814.  What have they done to you? 
4 Taylor pub glasses

S MS Picker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2012, 06:08:35 PM »
Swirl marks? How'd he do that, changing strings ?
Saddle work should have been done off the guitar. He worked on the wrong end also. What you mainly wanted required nut work. Check your neck relief, he may have tightened the truss rod to make it play easier in lower positions. If another saddle isn't available you're gonna have to shim that one as a stop-gap solution. A piece of milk jug, cut from a flat section, will give you .015" -.025" in saddle height. Milk jugs are surprisingly consistent in thickness. Cut it a thin hair smaller than your saddle and drop it in the slot. Itdoesn't have to be rounded on the ends.
Or get some aluminum duct tape. Put it on the bottom,trim, and force the air out by pressing it very hard on a piece of pipe or similar that will roll as you press the length of the saddle across it. You'll gain about .006" per layer.
Maybe one of these will get you playin' again.
Steve

Oh yea. Drink the milk before cuttung the shim. ;)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 01:18:54 AM by michaelw »
"99 414
2000 410Ce
"05 214
"06 410CE (short scale)
"10 814CE-LTD(fall)
"11 414CE-LTD(fall)
"11 412CE
"12 Custom GS  Adi/Hog

-other-
"12 Eastman E20D
"? Silvertone (Sears) 2 lipstick tube PU electric

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2012, 06:16:42 PM »

Ok, listen up......the first thing you need to do is get out the Taylor pub glasses and fill them up with your favorite adult beverage.  It won't be long before you start to feel better......

Eclimax13

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2012, 06:26:35 PM »

Ok, listen up......the first thing you need to do is get out the Taylor pub glasses and fill them up with your favorite adult beverage.  It won't be long before you start to feel better......

Way ahead of ya. lol
4 Taylor pub glasses

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2012, 06:29:56 PM »
I'll be calling Taylor on Monday since this guy was on their authorized repair list.  Even the guy who was standing behind me said his guitar buzzed after getting it back from him.  I'm actually really depressed right now about my guitar.  Luckily it's an easy fix.  I can sand a saddle down and change strings.  I was looking for this guy to file the nut, which he didn't.
sorry to hear about your 814, eclimax :(

i'm sure that Taylor will do everything they can to correct the situation &
hopefully there is another tech that is relatively close to your area -
i imagine the swirl marks were from smudges that occurred during the
'set-up restring' process & that to clean them off, whatever was used
(polish cloth, etc) had some abrasive material imbedded in it because
from what i seen, one has to really work at scratching the UV finish

i think that, perhaps, Taylor needs to implement a more refined/stringent qualification &
certification process for some  of the techs that are on their authorized repair list ???

i haven't run across a 'bad one' yet & the tech that is my area (SE) is an exceptional  one -
i've seen him reset the neck on 4 different Taylors, made from 02-03 & none of them came
with correct shim values from the factory, but i believe that this concern has been corrected
as i've played a few different 2012 models that had as nice of a set-up as i've seen in 01
just a hair under 5/64" E, they play effortlessly & the tone was exemplary (really sweet)

personally, i would not attempt to  make any further alterations or adjustments -
it's kind of like trying to repair a car that's under warranty after it's been taken
to the dealer & had been 'misdiagnosed', even if it may make the concern 'better'
for the time being, as at that point it would be difficult to discern who did what

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 11:47:56 PM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Eclimax13

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2012, 06:36:44 PM »
All good suggestions guys.  Thanks for the support.  I might have to go buy a gs mini to hold me over. 
4 Taylor pub glasses