Author Topic: Taylor consistency/risks on buying used sight unseen?  (Read 59948 times)

Tugboat

Taylor consistency/risks on buying used sight unseen?
« on: January 17, 2013, 07:00:50 AM »
Just wondering about Taylor consistency. I can afford a new 300 or 400 series but would obviously like used guitar prices a bit better. I'm not anticipating a very large used guitar section at the stores I'll be shopping at (very little in the way of guitar shops in my area) so if I go used it'll have to be either classifieds here or eBay.

How consistent are Taylors from guitar to guitar? Is it risky to buy a used Taylor, sight unseen? I won't be buying with intent to upgrade. I intend on buying a guitar I'll have for decades so I'm tending to think it might not be worth the risk buying sight unseen. If they're pretty consistent though, it may be a harder decision to buy new.

I'm eyeing a 314ce or a 414ce, BTW. I'll be doing it all (strumming, flatpicking, hybrid picking, and fingerstyle) so I want versatility.
2012 Taylor GA4
Homemade Ash/Maple Telecaster (Warmoth unfinished body/neck)
PRS Korina Singlecut SE
Homemade 1x10 5F1 circuit Tweed Champ clone

jrporter

• Veteran Member
Re: Taylor consistency/risks on buying used sight unseen?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 08:24:27 AM »
I think that most of us will chime in that Taylors are extremely consistent when compared to other guitar brands, and I'd concur. That said, the perceived inconsistency may occur as the difference between how the guitar sounds and plays and one's expectation as to how it will sound and play. It's comparable to the statistical terms validity and reliability. If you've played other 314ces and 414ces, I don't think you'll be disappointed. It may be a whole other story if you haven't. I've got a GA4 and a GA8 which have very different tones. I bought the GA4 after playing it, but purchased the GA8 long-distance. I'd played several 814ces, but never a GA8. For that matter, I'd never seen a GA8 close up before. The GA8 sounds much better than I expected. Go figure....

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 09:42:05 AM »
I'm eyeing a 314ce or a 414ce, BTW. I'll be doing it all (strumming, flatpicking, hybrid picking, and fingerstyle) so I want versatility.

I've played a couple different 314ces, heard two or 3 more at open mics, and own a GA3 and all have sounded great.  I've only heard one 414ce (and only plugged in) and actually prefer the 314 tone but that's just me.  FWIW, as a used guitar the 314ce is the best bargain on Ebay based on a pretty extensive study I did on actual selling prices of well over 30 auctions.  The 414ce is a pretty good bargain too.  The 214 models are very poor bargains as used guitars.  I did not look at the higher end models.

Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

Tugboat

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 10:37:06 AM »
That's the thing. I definitely want to try some out to see if I like the model but unless one just JUMPS out at me at the store I'd hate to buy new when, if they're consistent, I can buy used and get the same sounding guitar. Maybe better right off the bat, since used guitars will likely be broken in. Plus, used brings a 514ce into the equation, though I'm not sure how much difference you'd be able to hear between Mahogany and Sapele. Don't care about bling. 95% of the used 514ce's I've seen on eBay have been spruce top, not cedar.
2012 Taylor GA4
PRS Korina Singlecut SE

jrporter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 10:39:05 AM »
That's the thing. I definitely want to try some out to see if I like the model but unless one just JUMPS out at me at the store I'd hate to buy new when, if they're consistent, I can buy used and get the same sounding guitar. Maybe better right off the bat, since used guitars will likely be broken in. Plus, used brings a 514ce into the equation, though I'm not sure how much difference you'd be able to hear between Mahogany and Sapele. Don't care about bling. 95% of the used 514ce's I've seen on eBay have been spruce top, not cedar.

Sounds like time for a Road Trip....

Jarlaxle

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 10:47:09 AM »
I was just commenting on this issue on a thread on AGF.

No two guitars are the same, even from a manufacturer with as much consistency and quality control as Taylor.  I strongly recommend you try before you buy, and in fact I just bought a new 314ce myself.   I played them at several different stores and the one at a certain GC just spoke to me in a way the others didn't.  The store had two more unopened in the back so I brought out all three and compared them back to back to back.  Once again, the one on the wall just had something the others didn't.  I bought it even thought it wasn't minty fresh (had a couple of very small nicks) because it will be well played and won't be brand new for long anyway....

One other thing to keep in mind on used vs new.  These guitars have electronics.  Electronics are by definition delicate and as such, can misbehave or even break.  When you buy new they are covered under warranty.   When you buy used, they aren't so keep that in mind when you consider the difference in price.

Tugboat

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 11:13:50 AM »
That may not be exactly an apples to apples comparison though, even though it's the same model. The one on the wall had strings that have likely been played some so they have been broken in a little. The ones in boxes have never been played before so the strings will be fresher and sound different.

I notice the sound of a set of strings change as I play them. Typically they start off bright and a touch harsh but sound better and warm up after being played a bit. Then they hit a point where they sound dull and lifeless and it's all downhill. I can see situations where never played guitars may not sound quite as good to some people as guitars hanging on the wall whose strings haven't been dulled too much.

All this is very non-scientific and very subjective though!
2012 Taylor GA4
PRS Korina Singlecut SE

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 11:40:08 AM »
Seems you'd be pretty safe with a Taylor as far as consistency and such.  Check the classifieds here and at AGF and buy from a reputable seller - there are alot of them at both sites.  You can definitely get more bang for the buck with a used purchase, sure there's some risk but again if you buy from someone who has a good rep the risk is minimized.  Have fun and welcome to the forum!!

Jarlaxle

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 12:32:50 PM »
That may not be exactly an apples to apples comparison though, even though it's the same model. The one on the wall had strings that have likely been played some so they have been broken in a little. The ones in boxes have never been played before so the strings will be fresher and sound different.

I notice the sound of a set of strings change as I play them. Typically they start off bright and a touch harsh but sound better and warm up after being played a bit. Then they hit a point where they sound dull and lifeless and it's all downhill. I can see situations where never played guitars may not sound quite as good to some people as guitars hanging on the wall whose strings haven't been dulled too much.

All this is very non-scientific and very subjective though!
My only point was if you find a guitar you really like, buy that one.  Don't assume the next one will grab you quite the same way.  In my case, the neck was actually one of the biggest differences, it just looks and plays fabulous.  The other two were fine but this one was a cut above.

dmccrider

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 02:14:47 PM »
.......Plus, used brings a 514ce into the equation, though I'm not sure how much difference you'd be able to hear between Mahogany and Sapele. Don't care about bling. 95% of the used 514ce's I've seen on eBay have been spruce top, not cedar.

The 514 is a completely different beast. From what I've played, it's not even close. I'd pick a 514 (cedar or spruce) over a 3 or 4 series every time. If I were you I'd look for a used '09 414ce fall limited with rosewood, "poor man's 814", I don't think you can go wrong with that guitar (unless your electronics crap out, that was a good point about buying used). Last year's "poor man" rosewood limiteds have the CV bracing but that's probably a few hundred more which might put you out of your range. To me, buying used without playing it first is a gamble you can afford to take if you buy at the right price. If it doesn't work out for you, there's a good market for less expensive Taylors and I'm sure you'll enjoy your time "renting" the instrument. That said, if you play one in the store and it really speaks to you, you might want to listen. Most reputable stores would be willing to negotiate on price and give you an option to return it within a specified time period if it just won't work out for you. Ultimately, I hope you will enjoy the journey, finding "your" instrument will likely be well worth the price tag and nominal costs incurred during the search so good luck and enjoy the ride!

Jarlaxle

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »
.......Plus, used brings a 514ce into the equation, though I'm not sure how much difference you'd be able to hear between Mahogany and Sapele. Don't care about bling. 95% of the used 514ce's I've seen on eBay have been spruce top, not cedar.

The 514 is a completely different beast. From what I've played, it's not even close. I'd pick a 514 (cedar or spruce) over a 3 or 4 series every time.
514's are about $XXXX more than a 314ce.  For used ones that gap might narrow to $XXX but you're still talking about a pretty big jump.  Heck, an 814ce is only $XXX more than 514ce, so if you can swing a 514 that you might as well go for the whole enchilada.

please utilize PMs for pricing discussions
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 05:36:01 PM by UTGF-Team »

Tugboat

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 03:28:27 PM »
In my YouTubing so far I'm digging the mahogany and sapele guitars a bit more than the rosewood/ovangkol guitars, though trying them in person will be the only real way to tell. That would be the only thing about a used 814. If I end up preferring the mahogany back and sides, that leaves me with a 3 or a 5. I actually prefer less bling too to be honest. Especially on the fretboards. The 500 series is perfect with bling for me. I would probably avoid the higher series simply because they have too much of it.
2012 Taylor GA4
PRS Korina Singlecut SE

roadbiker

• Veteran Member
  • Member #100
    • jmaurophoto
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 10:35:18 PM »
I would never judge the sound/tone of a guitar based on what I hear on YouTube. There are too many variables: your speakers, your listening environment, the mic it was recorded with, the room it was recorded in, the sound card on you computer, etc., etc., etc. You can get a vague idea of how one sounds against another - recorded in the same environment, under the same conditions, but the sound you hear over the internet can't be used to accurately judge the sound of the guitar.

But with that said, from everything I have heard about Taylor guitars (I own an 814), they are very consistent due to the mass production/manufacturing process. Every guitar in the same series will have a similar, but different sound quality. They will all have the "Taylor sound." And the build quality (fit and finish) is second to none.

My 2 cents...

Jim
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 10:38:08 PM by roadbiker »
1980 Guild D50 (Westerly), Antique Sunburst
2010 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R Acoustic/Electric
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2011 Taylor 814CE Acoustic/Electric
2015 Taylor 356ce
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70

www.jmaurophoto.com

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 10:47:35 PM »
In my YouTubing so far I'm digging the mahogany and sapele guitars a bit more than the rosewood/ovangkol guitars, though trying them in person will be the only real way to tell.

That was my impression initially also.  I did play a really nice sounding 414ce a while back but there was no 314 to compare it too.  I'm sure you would be happy with either one.

In the end, I went with the GA3 because I had a pickup to put in it and I didn't care about the cutaway.  Plus the GA3 was priced low enough to allow me to buy new instead of used.
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 01:11:42 AM »
As others have said, buy one you can play if at all possible -- but if there's any brand I'd feel comfortable buying sight unseen, it's Taylor.

Technically my 210 falls into the latter category as the one I picked out from a pair of 210s and a 310 ended up going back a month or so later for a weird chip of wood that came out above the soundhole and under the fretboard. Taylor sent a brand new one from the factory and it sounded as good or better.

In either case -- buying in person or online -- I'd go with a nice shop that has a good reputation for selection, setup, and service.
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)