Author Topic: Taylor BTO X-Bracing  (Read 428 times)

Mike79

Taylor BTO X-Bracing
« on: February 19, 2024, 08:04:00 PM »
Hi,

I just went through the BTO process with a Taylor dealer, and after a couple of weeks back and forth answering questions between the dealer and Taylor, I was told that I cannot order X-Bracing for a Grand Concert. I called Taylor before even reaching out to the dealer to confirm the basics and swore they said x-bracing was available for GC.

Can anyone in the know confirm if that is in fact true?

I really do not like the V-Class sound.  I’ve owned multiple Taylor’s over the years and love their sound and ease of playability, and I grew up in El Cajon. Since I’m a lefty, it is pretty much impossible to find something used that is exactly what I’m looking for. If anyone knows of a way to get the x-brace on a BTO GC, please let me know.

Thanks!

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Taylor BTO X-Bracing
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 11:29:45 AM »
It's not surprising that Taylor refuses to do X-bracing, even on a custom basis.  They bet the farm on V-bracing.  Maybe your dealer made some assumptions and did not actually call to verify?  Good luck finding something.  Used is likely your only option.  There are guitar shops that specialize in left-handed guitars.

Have you considered Furch?  In my (limited) experience with them, they are every bit as good as Taylor guitars, and no V-bracing.  They do lefty, but I don't see anything smaller than GA or OM bodies.
www.furchguitars.com
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 01:03:28 PM »
Oooh, "bet the farm," all eggs in one basket, yeah.  Taylor made the decision that V is better than X, so whomever they gain by this they have made losses, too.  The economics to that decision remains to be seen....

Good luck to finding a lefty as you already know that challenge.  Likely already obvious to you, but your search parameters may have to broaden beyond Taylor.  But yes, do call the mothership and get confirmation straight from them. :)

Edward

joshsimpson79

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 02:14:15 PM »
I'd be curious to know how sales have changed since Covid and how sales have gone since the change in bracing?  I'll almost never buy new again as I can't really in good conscience buy at new prices at this phase in my life when I can buy used in mint conditions at reduced prices.
2022 GT Mahogany
2013 GS Mini-E Mahogany
Cordoba C5

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2024, 02:56:17 PM »
Josh, as a privately held company, Taylor is not required to do many filings that other businesses might.  We'll probably never know what the sales figures you ask about really are.  If sales have tanked in the V-bracing era, they are unlikely to admit it.  Personally as a business owner, I would be very concerned about any barriers to customers considering my product.  Speaking for myself, V-bracing and ES2 are HUGE insurmountable downsides that prevent me from even considering any new Taylor.  But I am mostly out of the market anyway, so they don't really care about my wishes despite my buying power.  I hate to be Debbie Downer, but the new reality is what it is.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Mike79

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2024, 11:13:28 PM »
Thank you for the info. I’ll check out Furch as well.

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2024, 12:10:57 PM »
Have you called Taylor Customer Service again to double check with them?  Maybe try begging???

Try another custom shop dealer or two. Maybe someone can pull some strings…

Like you and so many others here, the V brace and the ES2 are not my cuppa!

Perhaps try a want to buy post here, and on acoustic Guitar Forum as well.

I would put a search up on Reverb, eBay, and Gbase.  Why not? Nothing ventured nothing gained blah blah blah.

Good luck!

Paul.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 12:12:45 PM by Guitars44me »

SDTaylorman

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2024, 06:06:48 PM »
No idea why, if you don't want to accept your Dealer's word you would ask an open intent forum instead of reaching out to the source itself: https://www.taylorguitars.com/support

Mike79

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2024, 06:26:00 PM »
No idea why, if you don't want to accept your Dealer's word you would ask an open intent forum instead of reaching out to the source itself: https://www.taylorguitars.com/support

Lol. As I said, I did. They initially told me yes before I even reached out to the dealer. That’s why I was posting here to see if anyone else had a different experience or had more info on the topic.

Mike79

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2024, 06:28:10 PM »
Have you called Taylor Customer Service again to double check with them?  Maybe try begging???

Try another custom shop dealer or two. Maybe someone can pull some strings…

Like you and so many others here, the V brace and the ES2 are not my cuppa!

Perhaps try a want to buy post here, and on acoustic Guitar Forum as well.

I would put a search up on Reverb, eBay, and Gbase.  Why not? Nothing ventured nothing gained blah blah blah.

Good luck!

Paul.

Good ideas. Thank you.

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2024, 05:39:54 PM »
Check TR Crandall's selection of lefty’s. This just showed up over at AGF

https://trcrandall.com/collections/for-sale/left-handed

Maybe something will work for you

Happy hunting

Paul