Author Topic: NGD: Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR  (Read 3550 times)

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
NGD: Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
« on: December 19, 2021, 01:32:39 AM »
I like a guitar with a story or two behind it. Most of mine have or had one, I'm sure many of you have guitar stories too. (Share them below if you like!) Like, did I tell you the time I had to buy my GS Mini at 30,000 feet in the air?

When I show this guitar for the first time, I explain that the Sinker Redwood top started out life as an old growth Redwood in Northern California, then cut down as a log, sent downriver to the mill only to never finish the journey. Sank instead, almost like it dug in it's heels, awaiting a better destination. And then, oh, over a hundred years goes by, and someone hauls it up, dries it off, and sells the wood to Taylor. Who would imagine (before it was discovered) that the silt and minerals which invaded that wood would only strengthen it and make it prettier? And spectacular as a guitar top? Amazing stuff.

I've always had in the back of my mind that my final keeper guitar would have very rich overtones. I don't sing, so they would help make up for that. Plus I wanted a louder guitar, one that could project fingerstyle playing but also could handle a decent amount of strumming. Cedar fails on that last account, but this Sinker redwood doesn't. In fact, maybe it's the V-Class bracing, but this top has as much headroom as Sitka spruce as far as I can tell.

Then there's that beveled armrest that Taylor doesn't put on any guitars these days other than Custom BTOs and some LTDs like this one. It'll set you back in the neighborhood of $1,500 to add it it to a custom guitar, because it takes a lot of labor to make and Taylor doesn't have many artisans who have the skill to make them. It's as functional as it is pretty and really helps with comfort on the GA size body.

What does it sound like? Well, everything I've ever wanted and needed. Plus the sustain is magnificent and while I've been ambivalent to V-Class bracing in the past, I only see positives from what I can hear in the tone and playability all the way up the neck.

And she looks good too.

I had dyed bone bridge pins handy, they go great with the top!

« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 11:59:31 PM by Guitarsan »
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: NGD: Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/Macassar Ebony
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2021, 05:53:21 AM »
They really paired the woods nicely; all around. It's a real beauty. I know how special the beveled armrest is too; it's what's on my 914. It's great you found the tone, story, and aesthetics that you were seeking. You did good, congratulations!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 11:57:37 AM »
Ohhh man, that's some serious stuff right there!  I miss my macassar GS from years back; such a rich/deep tone.  Huge congrats; enjoy that beauty in good health!! :D

Edward

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 05:59:12 PM »
Congrats - she's a beauty!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2021, 10:27:35 AM »
They really paired the woods nicely; all around. It's a real beauty. I know how special the beveled armrest is too; it's what's on my 914. It's great you found the tone, story, and aesthetics that you were seeking. You did good, congratulations!

I remember that 914ce when you got it and that they stopped the beveled armrest on 900s not long after. 900s are a bit of mystery to me, setting aside the cosmetics, there's something tangibly better about their tone compared to the 800 series - that's been true with any one I've ever played. Not sure if they tweak it somehow or are extra careful with wood selection, but whatever it is, I appreciate it.

Thanks for all your comments!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 12:31:48 PM by Guitarsan »
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 11:28:35 AM »
Purdy!  I don't know about the magic involved, but I tend to agree that 900's in general seem a touch better than even 800's.  I have never owned any Taylor above the 600 level, but have certainly played quite a few.  It is more a case of not being able to afford one for quite a long time, then my guitar interests moving on to other things by the time I could afford the 900-series price tag.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Bo

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2022, 01:32:25 AM »
That is a handsome guitar.  So rich and elegant looking. The quality of wood that Taylor puts into their 900's is always amazing.  Nearly every single one you see is just stunning.   Play it good health!

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2022, 09:01:59 AM »
Guess I missed this earlier, congrats, what a fantastic looking guitar! Great find there for sure. Enjoy that new sound and look and thanks for sharing. I also really like the way you explain the Sinker top, great story with that one.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 03:53:24 PM »
Thanks again all, here's a bit of what it sounds like.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTJVZb9DJAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omgqGVi6iNQ

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2022, 06:50:46 PM »
I accidentally bought a set of Elixir 80/20 Nanoweb strings some time ago and it was time to change strings for this guitar so I figured I would throw them on. I knew they'd sound a bit different than the Phosphor Bronze set they came with, but what the heck. Tuned them up, one strum and... oh my gosh, that sounds awful. Hard to keep in tune, all the overtones were muted or gone, just bad. What the heck, did I get a bad set? I thought 80/20 would be brighter?

Put it down to do something else, picked it back up to play again, looked down at the strings and... I had accidentally put the D and G strings on wrong, having switched their positions. Huh, well, let me swap them and.... man, there we go! I never would have believed it would make that much difference, but you learn something every day. And that something is... don't put new strings on after midnight again!  8)

Celts88

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2022, 09:36:03 PM »
Thanks again all, here's a bit of what it sounds like.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTJVZb9DJAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omgqGVi6iNQ
Guitarsan

Beautiful guitar.

Acoustic Centre - did you get the guitar from there, and was it new (are they back to doing the bevel instead of radius).

I've a 914ce Ltd Sinker / EIR which unfortunately only has the radius, but still a lovely guitar.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 06:55:10 AM by Celts88 »
Lowden S35 12 Fret, Cedar / Walnut (2021)
Taylor 914ce Ltd, Sinker / EIR (2020)
Taylor 410ce, Sitka / Ovangkol (2006)

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2022, 09:00:41 AM »

Beautiful guitar.

Acoustic Centre - did you get the guitar from there, and was it new (are they back to doing the bevel instead of radius).

I've a 914ce Ltd Sinker / EIR which unfortunately only has the radius, but still a lovely guitar.

Thanks, yours is gorgeous too. I got mine at Ken Stanton Music. They special ordered 6 and I had my pick of those 6. This model is a 2021 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/Rosewood combination. Taylor made a small global batch that dealers bought and then later allowed dealers to order an additional batch beyond that global batch and Ken Stanton took advantage of that buying opportunity. I believe 2 remain in stock. Just love the sound and look of this guitar, it is my forever keeper main acoustic guitar! I suspect this was a very special version with the beveled armrest, not sure it'll happen again.

Yours appears to be the 2019 NAMM Sinker/EIR version with the radiused armrest?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 07:56:06 AM by Guitarsan »

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
Re: NGD: Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2022, 08:01:49 AM »
Well, update on this guitar. When I got it, I questioned the dealer about the back and side wood. They told me it was Macassar Ebony but I felt like it looked like Rosewood, not like the striped appearance of M. Ebony at all. But I shrugged it off and forgot about it. But looking at it again the other day, I thought, this is Rosewood . So I emailed Taylor Guitars giving them my serial number. They quickly wrote back that indeed it is East Indian Rosewood on the back and sides. As a result, I've removed any of my references that this was Macassar Ebony in the posts above.

"Mystery" solved - not that it bothers me in the least, it's gorgeous and the tone is outstanding. But the nagging feeling something isn't right has gone away.  8)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2022, 12:49:20 PM »
I wondered that myself, but then thought, what do I know?  ::)
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

sstaylor58

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2022, 02:10:01 PM »
That is an absolutely stunning instrument. I’ve always longed for a sinker top, someday…enjoy the heck out of it!
Taylor 314ce
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Martin Custom OM-15
Yamaha FSX730SC
Yamaha FSX800C