Author Topic: K14ce Builder's Edition  (Read 6822 times)

Mr.Toad

« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 05:12:36 PM by Mr.Toad »

ClassicRock

Re: K14ce Builder's Edition
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2018, 03:42:02 PM »
Delicious. Nice playing and great choice of guitars. I think torrified spruce really accentuates finger picking.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 03:59:02 PM by ClassicRock »

Mr.Toad

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2018, 03:51:02 PM »
Delicious. Nice playing and great choice of guitars. I think torrified spruce really accentuates ginger picking.

Thanks! Yes, I think the K14 makes a pretty good guitar for finger-style - good note separation and clarity.

ClassicRock

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2018, 04:00:08 PM »
Delicious. Nice playing and great choice of guitars. I think torrified spruce really accentuates ginger picking.

Thanks! Yes, I think the K14 makes a pretty good guitar for finger-style - good note separation and clarity.
LOL “ginger” picking? Gotta love autocorrect.

‘Clarity’ is a word that keeps popping up from V-Class players. I have to agree.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 04:06:07 PM by ClassicRock »

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2018, 11:11:04 PM »

LOL “ginger” picking? Gotta love autocorrect.

‘Clarity’ is a word that keeps popping up from V-Class players. I have to agree.

ClassicRock I thought that maybe you were talking about something new "ginger picking" ha!
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

rinzai

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2018, 12:45:07 PM »
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum and while I've purchased a number of Taylor guitars over the years to give as gifts (4, I think), I’ve never owned one myself until now.

I have had my eye on a v-class 914ce since sometime last fall and about a month ago when I thought I was 'ready' to take the plunge, I learned about the 2018 v-class K14ce Builder's Edition. 

I started reading, watching reviews, etc.  I read or watched everything I could find.  The things that cinched it for me (apart from all the glowing kudos it’s receiving) included the torrefied top, vine inlay and carved cutaway. The Koa back and sides would offer a new tonal palette over my existing instruments.  I've never owned anything with a 'satin' finish so I never gave this aspect much thought. 
It’s been about a week now since it arrived.  Visually, it’s stunning.  Sonically it is unique and has a g reat deal to offer.  It feels great in the hand and plays beautifully.  So, you might be inclined to think it’s the perfect flattop… but if you'll indulge a newbie, I have some questions I’d like to pose to those of you who also own one and have more experience with it.

First the finish; I’m having a hard time understanding where the ‘silent’ part comes in.  I’m not trying to bait anyone or come off as a troll. I honestly don’t get it.  Handling this guitar creates a lot more surface noise than any of my other acoustic instruments (all finished in gloss nitro).   And please don’t shoot me for this, but I’ve gone so far as to ask Taylor about polishing it. Can any owners out there tell me what your thoughts on this are?  Do you find it quieter to the point of deserving this moniker?  And if so, how? e.g. under what conditions?

The second question I have is what are your thoughts on how the cutaway carve was done?  Unlike the finish, I find this feature to be very functional as it really opens up access to the upper registers.  But the wide, black transition into open end-grain is really strange and somewhat unsightly; making it look really out of place to me.  What puzzles me is why no-one who has reviewed this guitar has said a single word about how this was done.  Granted, I had the instrument for several days before I noticed it, but I believe that this is largely due to the extremely dark finish inside the cutaway…

Lastly, is there anyone out there with both the K14ce BE, and a 914ce both with V-class?  If so, if you had to choose only one of these based on your ability to side-by-side them, which would it be and why? I know this is a tough question, since player style/preference is infinitely diverse… but from your perspective if you have a ‘favorite’ which one is it? 

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and for any thoughts you are willing to share…

-Mark

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2018, 03:43:19 PM »
Really nice looking guitar.  Enjoy!
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2018, 04:36:39 PM »
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum and while I've purchased a number of Taylor guitars over the years to give as gifts (4, I think), I’ve never owned one myself until now.

I have had my eye on a v-class 914ce since sometime last fall and about a month ago when I thought I was 'ready' to take the plunge, I learned about the 2018 v-class K14ce Builder's Edition. 

I started reading, watching reviews, etc.  I read or watched everything I could find.  The things that cinched it for me (apart from all the glowing kudos it’s receiving) included the torrefied top, vine inlay and carved cutaway. The Koa back and sides would offer a new tonal palette over my existing instruments.  I've never owned anything with a 'satin' finish so I never gave this aspect much thought. 
It’s been about a week now since it arrived.  Visually, it’s stunning.  Sonically it is unique and has a g reat deal to offer.  It feels great in the hand and plays beautifully.  So, you might be inclined to think it’s the perfect flattop… but if you'll indulge a newbie, I have some questions I’d like to pose to those of you who also own one and have more experience with it.

First the finish; I’m having a hard time understanding where the ‘silent’ part comes in.  I’m not trying to bait anyone or come off as a troll. I honestly don’t get it.  Handling this guitar creates a lot more surface noise than any of my other acoustic instruments (all finished in gloss nitro).   And please don’t shoot me for this, but I’ve gone so far as to ask Taylor about polishing it. Can any owners out there tell me what your thoughts on this are?  Do you find it quieter to the point of deserving this moniker?  And if so, how? e.g. under what conditions?

The second question I have is what are your thoughts on how the cutaway carve was done?  Unlike the finish, I find this feature to be very functional as it really opens up access to the upper registers.  But the wide, black transition into open end-grain is really strange and somewhat unsightly; making it look really out of place to me.  What puzzles me is why no-one who has reviewed this guitar has said a single word about how this was done.  Granted, I had the instrument for several days before I noticed it, but I believe that this is largely due to the extremely dark finish inside the cutaway…

Lastly, is there anyone out there with both the K14ce BE, and a 914ce both with V-class?  If so, if you had to choose only one of these based on your ability to side-by-side them, which would it be and why? I know this is a tough question, since player style/preference is infinitely diverse… but from your perspective if you have a ‘favorite’ which one is it? 

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and for any thoughts you are willing to share…

-Mark
Welcome Mark.
You may not get responses to your questions here, since they are "buried" in this thread started by another member with a new guitar. If you don't, you may want to start a new thread indicating in the title that you have K14ce BE questions. That might give your questions more visibility and get you the feedback you're seeking.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

rinzai

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2018, 04:52:30 PM »
TaylorGirl,
I've done as you suggested and reposted this as a new thread.

Thank you!

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Susie

joshi

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2018, 09:17:43 PM »
I've tried the K14ce before but today was the first time with a strap. Nice instrument but I hated the button being on the back of the heel because the top of the guitar was falling away from me when standing. Have you gotten used to this?  I assume this was done for better neck access but it seems like most of the other Taylor cutaways put the strap button (where I think it better belongs) on the lap side of the heel.

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2018, 11:06:39 AM »
I've tried the K14ce before but today was the first time with a strap. Nice instrument but I hated the button being on the back of the heel because the top of the guitar was falling away from me when standing. Have you gotten used to this?  I assume this was done for better neck access but it seems like most of the other Taylor cutaways put the strap button (where I think it better belongs) on the lap side of the heel.
This is what I wondered about, since they came out. Thanks for the feedback.
Susie

arunakalu

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2019, 12:27:57 PM »
My wife gave me an "Okay" to own this beauty. I call it my last guitar purchase, but all of us know it is a lie.

But here it is: Builder's Edition K14ce:

2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
2016 Martin GPC-18E Spruce/Mahogany
2016 Taylor 514ce Cedar/Mahogany
2015 Taylor 814ce Spruce/Rosewood
2017 Taylor 714ce LTD Torrefied Spruce/Koa
2018 Taylor K14ce Builder's Edition

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2019, 02:46:09 PM »
My wife gave me an "Okay" to own this beauty. I call it my last guitar purchase, but all of us know it is a lie.

But here it is: Builder's Edition K14ce:
A beauty indeed!
Susie