Author Topic: *** T3/B *** Looking for some advice -----  (Read 1182 times)

Tonyvenn

*** T3/B *** Looking for some advice -----
« on: September 08, 2016, 12:10:00 PM »
Hello all,

I recently discovered the T3/B while researching thinline semi-hollows and full hollowbodies

I have no guitar shops in the area that would carry it, so I've relied on YouTube clips, etc....

How would this guitar compare to a Gretsch Country Gent?

I'm loathe to buy a Gretsch...mainly because it seems to be very old technology...but I am trying to get that "jangly" sound of a thin hollowbody...

I have a 414ce, and I'm happy and thoroughly impressed with Taylor's build quality...

I was wondering if adding Taylor's "vintage" pickups would help with this...or even putting in something like Lollartrons?

I will use it for stuff like Tom Petty and U2 covers...going into a Vox amp.....

If there are any T3/B owners that can help me with some "in-hand" descriptions....

Please reply here....or hit me up on my PM.

Thanks!!!

Tony

« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 08:57:20 AM by mgap »

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
Re: *** T3/B *** Looking for some advice -----
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 09:47:24 AM »
The thing to keep in mind with a Gretsch is the magic is in the pickups.  They use Filtertrons, which give you that unique, jangly sound.  The pickups in a T3 are designed to emulate Seth Lover's original humbucker design.  That means the T3 will give you more of a Gibson Semihollow sound, like an ES-335.

The T3 is a great playing, high quality guitar.  However, if you want to turn it into a Country Gentleman, you'll need to do a pickup swap.  FYI -- TV Jones makes some killer Filtertron style pickups -- Highly recommend them.
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

Tonyvenn

Re: *** T3/B *** Looking for some advice -----
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 03:28:14 PM »
Hi Gutch.........

THANK YOU!

That was in my thinking...perhaps go with the Taylor build quality and then mess a bit with the electronics.....

I'll check TV Jones. There's also a place out of England called "The Creamery" that makes humbucker sized FilterTron's....

Thanks again for the advice....

Tony