Author Topic: Taylor Limiteds - are they like the real thing (414 vs 814; 314 vs 614, etc)?  (Read 12130 times)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Just thought I'd throw this out there ...as for the term "custom shop" ...Taylor doesn't have one.

I know that was not the intention of maritimer.  I just thought I'd raise that point since Gibson has one, Fender has one, PRS too, but Taylor does not.  The term "Custom Shop" --at least in the way Gibby, Fender, and PRS use it-- is a separate production area of their most highly skilled folks working on that particular guitar (as in one), or that particular run (as in Limited ed). 

Now from what I understand, Taylor's Ltds are simply guitars speck'd a certain way then built on the line, just like all the rest.  So the "limited" refers really only to the particular build specs and the number being produced; nothing to do with who builds them, or the the implied "craftsmanship" of who has their hands on em.  Still a production guitar through and through.  That's not derision, mind you; just making a point.

Taylor's "R-Taylor" brand of old was the closest thing to a "Custom Shop" per se.  You had the GS, GC, and eventually DN body platform to choose from, but then a staggeringly wide array of build choices replete with the most exclusive of materials (yeah, the stuff they held back from the "Taylor" factory).  Compound this truly limited notion of materials with the fact that only Bob's top five guys built em, and in an entirely different facility.  No "line production" guitars, these. 

Fast forward to "Builders Reserve" from which they decide the model, build it all exclusive-like as their RTs were (as much as I can guess from what I've come to discern and have read, anywho), but the model is what it is, no customer options available.

So the Ltds are simple "different" Taylors.  That's how I view them.  To me they hold no more value or "goodness" as they are still their production-line guitars and all the excellence that comes along with that.  If there is anything "limited" in their nature it is their numbers are held down to a series of several hundred, and the particular build specs of wood combos and aesthetic appointments are unique to that model.  Bottom line goes back to the OP's original question: are there sonic differences?  Yes.  But the same sonic differences that would occur when comparing any two guitars.

Edward

dmccrider

that was well said Edward  ;)

Raven

To me it is all about the Wood being used on the LTDS . Understanding the manufacturing process is the same , but the wood that is chosen for the build is unique , usually gorgeous and in most cases rare . The read in " Wood and Steel " for the 2012 Fall LTD Quilted Sapele builds I thought was quite impressive and lends you to find how rare some woods are . I say grab them if you could !

" Quilted sapele is an extremely rare find. Rare enough that the first and last time we offered it was on a pair
of limited edition models to commemorate Taylor’s 25th anniversary back in 1999. At the time we considered it
a one-time fluke, so when we randomly received some figured sapele 4x4s in a shipment for necks about eight
years ago, our wood purchaser, Bob Zink, told our cutter that if he ever encountered it again to call us before cutting
it. A year and a half ago, Bob got the call, we were very interested, and an odyssey to procure some of the wood
ensued.
 After being harvested in Africa, the entire tree — a huge old sapele about 6-7 feet in diameter — was shipped to
a sawmill in France, where it was cut into slabs with a massive saw. From there it had to be sent to Germany,
where there was planer large enough to surface it. The original purchaser of the tree eventually shipped the slabs
to his mill in the U.S., and when they finally arrived months later we were called and given first dibs on the wood. By
this time there was other interest in it, with some parties offering to pay more, but the owner held it for Taylor since
we’d expressed interest first. Within a couple of days Bob Zink and Andy Powers arrived in Cove City, North Carolina,
a small port town where the mill was located. Once they were there, they sorted through every slab, selecting the
ones with figure.
  “We went through something like 12,000 board feet — a couple of tons of wood,” says Andy. “Some of the boards
we picked out were about four feet wide and in some
cases 16 feet long.”
  They ended up buying about 2200 board feet (the rest of the wood wasn’t quilted). The wood was flatsawn, which
is cut 90 degrees different than the quartersawn sapele we typically use for guitar backs and sides. This not only
allowed the beautiful figure to be showcased to maximum effect, it also added a unique twist to its tonal response.
  “Sapele tends to be pretty stiff, and this stuff has a lot more give to it,” Andy says. “You hear a little more power,
a little more warmth on the low end compared to most sapele guitars.”
    For the soundboard pairing, the product development team chose AA-grade European spruce, which was first
used for our spring Builder’s Reserve guitar (BR-V) and blends the horsepower of Adirondack spruce with a splash
of cedar’s warmth.
   The design aesthetic for these limiteds aimed to bring out the best of the figured sapele, so the back and
sides were treated with the same light stain used on our mahogany 500 Series, which in this case, visually amplifies
the depth of figure.
   The appointment scheme also incorporates the sapele from the same tree, paired with ivoroid. The rosette
features a sapele ring edged with ivoroid, ivoroid binding paired with sapele edge trim, and diamond “Solitaire”
fretboard inlays that feature sapele outlined with ivoroid.
“It’s basically a three-color treatment,” Andy says: "Sapele, ivoroid and then either spruce or ebony. We
wanted to keep it really elegant and graceful.”

« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 07:18:02 AM by Raven »
2012 Fall Limited GSce Quilted Sapele

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
Of all the Taylors made with koa that I have tried, the best sounding one was a 314 Ltd. The wood grain was rather plain by the standards of the more expensive Koa models but it had a great tone. I tried it out while the parents of a student and his guitar teacher were considering buying it. I decided to buy it but as I walked over to the salesman, I heard the boy's father say he would buy it. It was just as well as I hadn't gone to the store to buy a guitar. I only stopped by to look around as I always did about once a month.

In the years since then, I have played several koa guitars but none that I would consider buying with the possible exception of this one which I tried at the January NAMM show this year, which though very attractive visually, was not as sonically appealing as the 314 Ltd.

Fire

What is your experience with limited models? I see some 414ce/416ce Fall Ltd rosewoods that are commonly referred to as the "poor man's 814ce".

I briefly owned a 2011 416ce LTD Rosewood (see pic below, guitar to the right) and it sounded like an 816ce should and a whole lot more. It was louder and had more low end compared to the 814ce, though not as balanced. I had to sell it for these same reasons as it was too powerful and overwhelming for my singing voice. No Taylor, Martin, or Gibson at the local GC could match this guitar's low end oomph.

2011 Taylor FLTD GA Koa 12-Fret
2015 Taylor T5z Pro
2015 Martin 000-15m

craigb

Just got a 416 2012 FLTD and it has CV Bracing an dit sounds great, very balanced with good bass extension:)