Author Topic: Taylor 362 vs 352?  (Read 712 times)

Taylor 362 vs 352?
« on: January 02, 2024, 11:31:56 AM »
I got the chance over our family vacation to play my cousin’s 250ce 12-string. I had always avoided them in the past as an oddity or something too difficult to play, but I was very impressed by the ease of play! I was able to get through the intro of Tangerine with only minor cobwebs and oh what sound! So now I’m on the hunt for a 12er myself. Now that particular model is out; I already have the 717 and that is the only large body guitar I want. Plus I tend to dislike the aesthetics of a boxy dread. This led my to the 12-string version of a size I have already been interested in, the GC, and look at that they’re 12-feet too! I happen to like slotted headstocks (all tuners twist the same direction) but I realize the 12-string doesn’t have a slotted headstock. Ah well.

Anyway, I am really torn between the 352ce and 362ce models, and on the 362 very interested in the differences between sapele and Tasmanian Blackwood. Honestly I doubt I’d be disappointed in any of them. I don’t play in a band, the only folks routinely suffering from my playing are family. I have a hog GS Mini also so I have an idea of how much bass loss there is from the 717 down to a smaller body like the GC. The hog GSM has plenty of treble for me, I don’t feel like it’s subdued too much, but i have seen a direct comparison video from Peghead Nation where the difference between the 352/362 seemed very noticeable.

As far as GC bass loss or diminished treble / sparkle with mahogany top, how much of this can be “corrected” with EQ on the preamp or with an amp? Can the small body nature be compensated for by using an amp when playing with others?

I’d love to hear from others who own or have played these models!

Thanks,
Dave

Lillis

Re: Taylor 362 vs 352?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 10:02:15 AM »
Well I'll chime in. I bought a new 362ce less than a year ago. I feel it has a sweeter richer tone than the spruce topped version which I thought sounded a little harsh. I'm loving mine FWIW.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 03:46:05 PM by Lillis »
512ce 12 fret,362ce & 322,Larrivee P03,00015SM

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 12:27:46 PM »
I am really happy with my older 552. Cedar/Mahogany works great for me, and the fat warm tone (especially dropped to D concert) really mellows out some of the jingle jangling….

Kind of a mini version of my 90s LKSM 12s

Hope you find just what floats your boat

Paul

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 07:32:41 AM »
I’ve got a 352ce on the way. Crossing fingers…

It’s funny, and maybe we try to split hairs, but in my limited experience spruce is not too brash/harsh and mahogany is not super mellow. And on a 12-string, I guess we’re after that bright cacophonous jangle! Waiting for Wednesday…

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2024, 10:38:42 AM »
I’ve got a 352ce on the way. Crossing fingers…

It’s funny, and maybe we try to split hairs, but in my limited experience spruce is not too brash/harsh and mahogany is not super mellow. And on a 12-string, I guess we’re after that bright cacophonous jangle! Waiting for Wednesday…

Ay Paul,
Cedar is a beautiful thing, especially how Taylor does it as I had an old GA7 (ced/rw) that I miss!  Post a pic of that lovely guit, would ya?!! :D

Edward