Author Topic: Charmed Life Picks Review and Sound Comparison  (Read 3404 times)

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Charmed Life Picks Review and Sound Comparison
« on: October 21, 2018, 01:10:33 AM »

After seeing rave reviews for Charmed Life Picks, I wanted to try one for myself. My go to pick is (was) the Dunlop Primetone 0.73mm. I consider myself a light to medium strummer, who also flat picks from time to time.

The long story short is: I love Charmed Life Picks (abbreviating to CLP from now on), and they are my go to picks. Scott (the owner and pick maker) customer service is outstanding, he really loves what he does (and it's not his main job). He really cares about each and every customer he has, I can't say enough about him! Now..the long story.

I ordered a 0.75mm CLP Red teardrop. Scott made it custom, thinner for my preference. When I received it - the first thing that jumped out at me is that each string seemed to have a more even response. I attribute it to the CLP not flexing, like the Primetones do. I also noticed more clarity and note separation. Unfortunately, a very small piece of the CLP chipped off.

I contacted Scott and he immediately got back to me. He shipped another to me - unfortunately, as soon as I opened the package, the pick was broken in half.

In the meantime, I started playing the 0.9mm CLP black, and noticed it had more body and just as much clarity as the primetones. I noticed that the guitar was louder even w/ the same attack, so it took less effort.

Scott talked to me and I told him how much I loved blue - and he told me he's been working on a material that is blue....so he shipped me a 0.9mm blue.

The finish on it is incredible - it's flamey, but it's also translucent. Really gorgeous. Tone wise, it is almost identical to what I can remember about the CLP red - more clarity, and more even response from all strings.

I made a short video w/ the CLP blue pictured. I played them on my custom GC 12 fret lutz/cocobolo.

https://youtu.be/7DTUBFg1etM
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 07:45:20 PM by zeebow »
1995 912C - englemann/eir
2009 xxxv-p - sitka/madagascar
2010 414ce - sitka/ovangkol (made on my wedding day!)
2011 914ce - cedar/eir
2014 martin 000-28 custom - adi/cocobolo
2017 BTO GC 12 fret - lutz/cocobolo
2019 BTO GC 12 fret - cedar/cocobolo
2019 sheeran w03 - cedar/santos rosewood
2019 lowden s35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/cocobolo
2020 lowden s35 12 fret alpine spruce/madagascar
2023 lowden wee wl-35 12 fret - driftwood cedar/madagascar
2023 martin 00-28 modern deluxe - sitka/eir

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
Re: Charmed Life Picks Review and Sound Comparison
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 09:53:12 AM »
 Hi zeebow. I listened to your sound comparison several times. Nice playing. I'd hate to guess which pick was which if you didn't identify them in the video. The most notable difference to my ears was your strumming with the CLP picks. Not that the Primetone pick sounded inferior in any way, but the CLP's enhanced an already nice tone IMO. Pretty much as you had previously described.

I've read a lot of threads over on the AGF related to Charmed Life picks and Scott seems to be a really good guy.

I invested in a couple of BlueChip picks a few years ago (TD35 and TD40) and love them. My experience with BlueChip is similar to what you've found with Charmed Life picks. IMHO, picks really do matter. :) 
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

tedtan

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 10:45:53 AM »
Scott seems like a good guy from his posts and the PMs I've exchanged with him on AGF, but the last I heard was that he was not adding bevels to his picks, which has kept me using beveled Blue Chip TD50s. Do you know if this is still the case?

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 05:55:13 PM »
Hi zeebow. I listened to your sound comparison several times. Nice playing. I'd hate to guess which pick was which if you didn't identify them in the video. The most notable difference to my ears was your strumming with the CLP picks. Not that the Primetone pick sounded inferior in any way, but the CLP's enhanced an already nice tone IMO. Pretty much as you had previously described.

I've read a lot of threads over on the AGF related to Charmed Life picks and Scott seems to be a really good guy.

I invested in a couple of BlueChip picks a few years ago (TD35 and TD40) and love them. My experience with BlueChip is similar to what you've found with Charmed Life picks. IMHO, picks really do matter. :)

thx! flat picking the blue casein (which isn’t even officially released) sounds similar to the primetones, but strumming it adds something extra! i love it! scott is super cool and his customer service was awesome. he gave me a blue prototype bc it’s the same material as the red, and he found out i love blue so he sent me this prototype!

after my vacation, i plan to record some more
2011 914ce - cedar/eir

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 05:56:18 PM »
Scott seems like a good guy from his posts and the PMs I've exchanged with him on AGF, but the last I heard was that he was not adding bevels to his picks, which has kept me using beveled Blue Chip TD50s. Do you know if this is still the case?

i’m not sure, but none of my picks i own have a bevel, i guess they’re more for flatpicking? i’m more of a light to medium strummer. feel free to contact him, he’s super responsive!
2011 914ce - cedar/eir

Charmed Life Picks

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 07:43:27 PM »

Ted, I'm really glad you brought that up. I'll try to give you a short answer.

No, we don't offer bevels at this time. I'm aware that it's a great feature, but it's not in our future any time soon. The biggest reasons are it adds cost and our pricing on most of our models is extremely aggressive, so our margins are thin. More importantly, though, almost every single hot picker we've dealt with does his own bevels. And there all kinds of different bevels out there, so which one do we use?

The other thing is, we have too much business as it is. Our casein models right now are running three weeks lead time from date of payment, and that will reach four weeks around Thanksgiving. If anything, we have TOO many orders, so to add a feature that adds cost, slows down production, and reduces profits is not just a winning formula right now. It is, however, something we'll be looking at in the future, but not for at least another two or three years.

One of our sponsored players is Brad Davis, an incredibly hot flatpicker out of Austin. He loves our materials but does his own bevels every time.

Finally, we are interested in marketing to different folks that Blue Chip isn't addressing. Our best sellers are ALL under 1.0 mm. There is a HUGE untapped market that no one was addressing with premium materials before we came along. We're still the only ones. So whereas BC stops at .90 mm on teardrops, we use the identical material but are all the way down at .60 mm and .75 mm. These picks are amazing, and no one makes them but us.

Well, I said I'd make this short. This is my version of short. Sorry.

QUESTION: Can anyone tell me how to add a screen capture for a YT vid here? I want to post a vid of Brad Davis.

Thanks,
Scott Memmer

edit by zeebow: removing code and /code
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 08:44:51 PM by zeebow »
Charmed Life Picks is endorsed by Eastman Guitars. We are also endorsed by stellar Bluegrass guitarist Brad Davis.

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 08:47:51 PM »
QUESTION: Can anyone tell me how to add a screen capture for a YT vid here? I want to post a vid of Brad Davis.

Thanks,
Scott Memmer

Scott, I tried messing w/ the settings when you asked a while back - but it looks like our version of the forum doesn't support youtube embedded code. That being said - I tried to use it on another forum and it didn't work either lol

Try messaging jjrpilot-admin, to see if he will look into it, he's the site owner.
2011 914ce - cedar/eir

tedtan

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 10:32:45 AM »
Thanks for the update, Scott.

As far as business problems go, having too much demand is a good problem to have, so I'm glad to hear that you are doing well.

Charmed Life Picks

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 01:13:01 AM »
Thanks for the update, Scott.

As far as business problems go, having too much demand is a good problem to have, so I'm glad to hear that you are doing well.

Thanks for your post. Yeah, peddlin' as fast as we can.

have a good one,
scott
Charmed Life Picks is endorsed by Eastman Guitars. We are also endorsed by stellar Bluegrass guitarist Brad Davis.

DO18

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 10:05:51 AM »
I eagerly await three Charmed Life Picks.  Scott's customer service is amazing.

zeebow

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 02:25:18 PM »
I eagerly await three Charmed Life Picks.  Scott's customer service is amazing.

awesome, which ones did you get?
2011 914ce - cedar/eir

Charmed Life Picks

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 02:48:37 PM »
Thanks again, Zee. You're the best.

Folks, thanks again for your warm welcome over here at UTGF.

A couple quick things:

1) Our annual holiday promotion ends Monday Dec 10th at 12:00 midnite PST. We have begun to run out of our most popular models. Once they're gone, we won't have any more of that model till 2019. The sale is $5.00 off per pick when you buy too. Plus Free Shipping. For full details, this is our full ad from USGF: http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=9366.0

2) Our online store will close for the year on December 20, 2018. We will reopen Jan 2, 2019.

3) Beginning Jan 2, 2019, we're going to run a month-long promo on UTGF of $5.00 off per pick introductory offer, also with free freight. This is offered for first-time CLP buyers only, who must have a valid UTGF account. Stay tuned for more details on this around New Years.

Thanks for all your support! We're determined to build the finest high-performance guitar pick company in the industry. Thanks for sharing our vision. We will not rest until we accomplish our goal.

Thanks, Everyone,
Scott & Rhonda Memmer

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 02:53:17 PM by Charmed Life Picks »

Marco Polo

• Veteran Member
  • James 1:22-25
    • Buick Factory GS Stage1 Registry
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 12:16:28 PM »
Thanks again, Zee. You're the best.

Folks, thanks again for your warm welcome over here at UTGF.

A couple quick things:

1) Our annual holiday promotion ends Monday Dec 10th at 12:00 midnite PST. We have begun to run out of our most popular models. Once they're gone, we won't have any more of that model till 2019. The sale is $5.00 off per pick when you buy too. Plus Free Shipping. For full details, this is our full ad from USGF: http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=9366.0

2) Our online store will close for the year on December 20, 2018. We will reopen Jan 2, 2019.

3) Beginning Jan 2, 2019, we're going to run a month-long promo on UTGF of $5.00 off per pick introductory offer, also with free freight. This is offered for first-time CLP buyers only, who must have a valid UTGF account. Stay tuned for more details on this around New Years.

Thanks for all your support! We're determined to build the finest high-performance guitar pick company in the industry. Thanks for sharing our vision. We will not rest until we accomplish our goal.

Thanks, Everyone,
Scott & Rhonda Memmer

Hi Scott,

Any additional details on the 2019 UTGF sale?

Thanks.
Marco
1975 Gibson L6 midnight special
DI - PS56ce
Rosie   - GAce Fall-LTD
Bonnie   - 254ce DLX

Charmed Life Picks

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2019, 02:34:18 PM »
Moderator, please remove this post.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 10:06:26 PM by Charmed Life Picks »