Author Topic: Is this aging normal?  (Read 3980 times)

astucke1

Re: Is this aging normal?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 03:22:13 PM »
Well I dropped it off at the local dealer who is going to talk to his rep about what the next step should be. Unfortunately the bridge is coming unglued at the corners, there is a crack in the top where the two pieces were glued together, and there is a crack in sound hole binding. Not sure if this is from all of the crazy weather that we have had in North Georgia recently but none of my other Taylors have had any problems.

Anyway I'll update everyone when I get some more information.

Thanks

oatordeal

• Veteran Member
  • Manila, Philippines
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 10:02:23 PM »
My guess is that the glue used to glue in the rosette leached into the spruce and has now darkened a little. Over time maybe the surrounding wood will darken and the stain will lessen. They seal the rosette area with finish before the rosette is glued in, but spruce is really porous.
i hope so too. overtime when the top wood darkens, it would match the color of the stain around the rosette. it's not much of a bother to me, because it doesn't affect the sound anyway.

astucke1: i hope it works well for you. i'm sure taylor will do a great job in attending to your guitar. keep on playing!  :D
Best regards,
Nims

814ce 2012
GS Mini Hog 2015
'52ri Fender Telecaster 2007

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 12:48:05 AM »
 CP, the streaking is a bit more subtle than it appears in the photo. The streaks behind the bridge, especially in-between the bridge pins are the most noticeable. String shadows. 8) I'm pleased. Thanks for doting. :)   
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 08:37:51 PM »
...Unfortunately the bridge is coming unglued at the corners, there is a crack in the top where the two pieces were glued together, and there is a crack in sound hole binding. Not sure if this is from all of the crazy weather that we have had in North Georgia recently...
not good :(

for a guitar to develop cracks due to dryness/inadequate humidity, it usually takes some time &, in general,
there are other symptoms that may make themselves known first, such as fret buzz or sharp fret ends -
hope it all works out well & thanks for keeping us posted
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

astucke1

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 06:33:06 PM »
Well I just got off the phone with Taylor and the verdict is……………I will get the guitar back in about 8 weeks and it should be looking good as new. I have to say that Taylor has some great customer service reps! Thank you everyone for your input and help.