Author Topic: SKB injection molded case??/  (Read 6365 times)

awdxtc

Re: SKB injection molded case??/
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 09:31:57 PM »
I may not fly much with my guitar but I do like to go places and play, even if it is just to a friends house.  If it is raining hard I wouldn't want to take my guitar for a 30 foot walk in the rain...maybe I'm to protective.  One thing, for me that would be nice is the use for car camping.  I think the fact that the humidity change from day to night would have no effect would b nice.

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 11:43:26 AM »
Well I like the fact that it is lockable...I really don't want my 6 year old opening my case to lok at a $3000+ guitar.  You can tell them no all day long but at the end of the day kids are kids.

So why spend twice as much as you need to?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/skb-deluxe-universal-dreadnought-guitar-case

Also, it's been suggested that a "waterproof" case would be needed if the case is sitting out on a rainy tarmac. The case I linked to will also protect a guitar in that situation, simply because you don't need a waterproof case to protect your guitar from the rain.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:04:35 PM by Nomad »

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 12:33:10 PM »
Ummm yes I would trust my guitar to submerged in that case.

Right.

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 01:38:46 PM »

Right.

Aside from sarcasm and contrariness, what's the point of this post, Nomad?
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 02:02:18 PM »

Right.

Aside from sarcasm and contrariness, what's the point of this post, Nomad?

I thought it was obvious.

I don't believe that he would be comfortable submerging his most prized guitar in that case.

Joseph

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 04:45:44 PM »
I may not fly much with my guitar but I do like to go places and play, even if it is just to a friends house.  If it is raining hard I wouldn't want to take my guitar for a 30 foot walk in the rain...maybe I'm to protective.  One thing, for me that would be nice is the use for car camping.  I think the fact that the humidity change from day to night would have no effect would b nice.

Good idea. If you live in, or camp in, a wet or extremely dry, environment... great case for it. I've camped at the ocean in CA with a Guild 12 string along, and was very concerned about it. If this case were available at the time... I would have owned one. And, since I now own a Taylor Custom GS too... if it ever made a trip camping at the ocean with me, I would consider one of these cases. The Pelican case I use for my Nikon DSLR system.. (which does make a lot of trips to the ocean and forests of Oregon with me).. protects it the same way this SKB case protects the guitar.   
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 04:48:17 PM by Joseph E »
Taylor 358e GO (2018)
Taylor 818e GO (2013 1st Edition)
Taylor GS7 Custom (2009)
Guild F-512 (1979)

DennisG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 05:04:53 PM »

Good idea. If you live in, or camp in, a wet or extremely dry, environment... great case for it. I've camped at the ocean in CA with a Guild 12 string along, and was very concerned about it. If this case were available at the time... I would have owned one. And, since I now own a Taylor Custom GS too... if it ever made a trip camping at the ocean with me, I would consider one of these cases. The Pelican case I use for my Nikon DSLR system.. (which does make a lot of trips to the ocean and forests of Oregon with me).. protects it the same way this SKB case protects the guitar.

Well put.  If you've got a guitar that means a lot to you, I can't see anything wrong with taking steps (even expensive ones) to protect it.  I live in Seattle, where it's been known to rain a time or two, and not having a waterproof case has actually discouraged me from going to open-mics.
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

awdxtc

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 05:22:07 PM »
I live in pa and in the summer the humidity can go from 90% during the day to 50% or less at night then get high again in the early morning.  I really don't think of the case as expensive..not compared to a guitar that cost 10 times as much as the case.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 05:44:56 PM »
I live in pa and in the summer the humidity can go from 90% during the day to 50% or less at night then get high again in the early morning.  I really don't think of the case as expensive..not compared to a guitar that cost 10 times as much as the case.

That's what I say.  The outright cost of any given case may seem high, but relative to what it is protecting??  That's where you have to weigh your apples.

Would I buy one of those pricey Carltons, for example?  Heck no! ...um, wait... unless I travelled (read: check in baggage!!) that requires that level of protection.  Hmmm, suddenly doesn't seem so expensive given its contents.  Or even less "extreme" an example: Ameritage cases are expensive ...go price em on the web, yikes!  But the cost of those RTaylors which they are encasing? ...well suffice it to say the Ameritage suddenly seems like good protection to have whether I am going to a gig, or just to my buddy's house to jam.  Even with electrics which needless to say are far sturdier: I recently popped some dough for a Mono gigbag ...that much for a nylon bag, you say; eek?!!  Ahhh, but the guits that go in merit the costly protection the Mono offers.

Not to mention the aforementioned point of humidity seal of a high-quality hardcase.  All things considered, the price of any case should be considered against the "cost" of losing its contents, IMHO.

Edward

awdxtc

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 07:33:15 PM »
One other thing that seems relevant to me is that it wold keep your original case in great shape in case you ever wanted to sell the guitar.

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
One other thing that seems relevant to me is that it wold keep your original case in great shape in case you ever wanted to sell the guitar.

So would the one I linked to, and at half the cost.

DennisG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2013, 07:50:46 PM »

I just watched Leesam's TouTube link on the SKB, and it looks like a really good product.  I thought it was going to be more expensive than it is.  Seems like a very reasonable price for what it can do.
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2013, 07:55:18 PM »
To the OP:

What you're looking for in a case can be had at half the cost. That's not an opinion, that's an absolute fact. I guess if you need a guitar case that can be submerged it would have some benefit, but the reality is that your guitar isn't going to get wet walking 30 feet in the rain, and the humidity question is only pertinent if you never plan on opening your guitar case.

You'll notice that none of what I've said about other cases has been refuted; not a single thing. Why? Because everyone knows that it's all true. Spend that much money on a case if you want to; by all means. God knows I've wasted more than a few dollars in my day on frivolous things. But to say you need it isn't really accurate.

languaget
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 09:41:09 AM by UTGF-Team »

DennisG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2013, 09:10:47 PM »

If you do decide to get the SKB, please come back to this thread and let us know how you like it.
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2013, 09:13:27 PM »
There are only two reasons I can see for purchasing the pricey SKB case over one which sells for half as much:

• It can (allegedly) be submerged
  • A person just likes to spend as much money as possible, beliving that spending more means getting something better, simnply because it cost more

Both cases offer protection from the rain.

Both cases can be locked.

Both cases, if used, will preserve the condition of the original case.

Both cases will maintain humidity as long as no humidity change is introduced to it.

What's the benefit of spending twice as much on the more expensive case? I'm not denegrating anyone for buying one; spend your money as you wish. I am, though, asking what benefical attributes, that you actually need, are offered only by the more expensive case.