Author Topic: WTB: Taylor AA battery box  (Read 4409 times)

SDTaylorman

WTB: Taylor AA battery box
« on: October 18, 2019, 11:21:19 AM »
Well it happened AGAIN...2006 Taylor 314ce with ES1 system here. When I bought the guitar (used) the battery box was filled with a corroded dead AA which I eventually extricated but got no sound. I bought a AA battery box, swapped it out and then, when there was still no sound I brought it to Taylor in El Cajon and they got it back up and running again. Seems that must have been a few years ago and now...the fairly new batteries I had in there have exploded again (just the bottom one of course so I didn't catch it right away plus it's going to be hard to get it out). Unfortunately Taylor no longer produce AA boxes (pretty amazing considering the known issue and how many guitars that have this system) and want to sell me a $300 "upgrade" to the latest system with the 9V battery. Now while I'd LOVE the 9V ease and dependability I frankly really don't have that kind of cash to spend on a 13 year old beat up guitar. I've looked around and I see there's only 9V boxes for sale now on the sites I usually check.

I guess I'm asking if anyone knows where I can get one of the old AA battery boxes. I know some folks here pulled out their ES systems so maybe there's a few laying around still? Or maybe a secret store that still stocks old parts? Hope springs eternal. Thanks in advance folks for any direction you may be able to provide (or any easy, inexpensive alternatives)!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 11:23:17 AM by SDTaylorman »

PaulWood

Re: WTB: Taylor AA battery box
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 06:58:07 AM »
Hi.

When I 'upgraded' my much-loved 2006 614ce it was a disaster - I no longer want to play the guitar because it sounds so bad (ES2 fitted) and it won't sell, for the same reason. That's a cautionary tale for you - if you do start to consider the 'upgrade'.
What may be relevant is that I passed the old 'AA' holder to my local Taylor repair shop, which is Oasis Music in Ringwood, UK. If you check out their website you might find an email address and could query it with Howard - he's a regular guy and if he still has it I'm sure he'll be helpful. Good luck!

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 06:30:53 PM »
If you are certain your ES is no-go because of the corroded battery box, why not just clean up the contacts?  Baking soda, water, and a small brush will do the trick.  If it's especially bad, add steel wool or a wire brush will clean up the contacts well.  Give that a try and see if it works.

Edward

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 09:19:51 PM »
If Edward's suggestion does not work I would pull out all the electronics and install a K&K.  They sound great in everything I have heard. And they are super simple, passive and weigh almost nothing.

I would NOT add an ES2, but you could also find an ES1.3.  They were the best sounding Taylor pup to my ears.  And I have had them all.

:). Good luck!

Be well, play pretty, have FUN

Paul

SDTaylorman

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 10:44:01 AM »
If you are certain your ES is no-go because of the corroded battery box, why not just clean up the contacts?  Baking soda, water, and a small brush will do the trick.  If it's especially bad, add steel wool or a wire brush will clean up the contacts well.  Give that a try and see if it works.

Edward

Yes, I'd happily do that IF it were possible to free the second (innermost) battery from its' location. At this point it's totally fused in there and I can't pull it out (nor push it out as that part is solid and all wired up).

I like the K&K idea but as I plug in so infrequently I'd like to focus on the problem at hand first. Once it gets solved (one way or another) I'll look into other options.

Thanks all!

Guitars44me

• Live Long, tune up often, and Play Pretty
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 04:26:57 PM »
Someone makes a widget that replaces the end pin/jack and another to fill the three holes for controls

If you rarely plug in, just have your Tech remove and replace all that stuff and lighten your load!  Haha

Best on the quest

Paul

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 07:50:50 AM »
I may have what you are looking for, I replaced Es1.1 with Es1.3. Now the bad news, we are packed up and moving so I won’t be able to get to it for at least 2-3 weeks. Wish I had seen this earlier, I would be glad to just let you have it if/when it surfaces while unpacking.
Shoot me a PM in 2-3 weeks if you still want it, I will actively look for it.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

SDTaylorman

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 09:58:30 AM »
I may have what you are looking for, I replaced Es1.1 with Es1.3. Now the bad news, we are packed up and moving so I won’t be able to get to it for at least 2-3 weeks. Wish I had seen this earlier, I would be glad to just let you have it if/when it surfaces while unpacking.
Shoot me a PM in 2-3 weeks if you still want it, I will actively look for it.

Wow thanks! I just might have solved the issue though. I am working on a method that may allow me to use the old system with a newer batt box. I'll update soon and if it doesn't work I'll take you up on the generous offer FF.

Shutterbug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 11:08:55 AM »
I would be real interested in learning why this is happening.

The battery probably isn't fused to the contacts. It's more likely that you can't get the battery out simply because of swelling, which batteries will do when they get too hot...
The world is like a book, and he who does not travel only reads a single page...

SDTaylorman

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 12:52:39 PM »
Does it really matter why? I mean the AA batteries have now ruined TWO boxes in this guitar. From what I've heard and read this is not uncommon. They just die that way. First they swell a little and then they burst. This one was terrible in that even after removing the box and then turning a long screw into the exposed end of the battery itself I couldn't pull it out. I was able to rig up a box from combining an old 9V one with my old parts. Still stuck with the AA batteries but the parts fit together (after a little solder work) and it works through the amp again....for now. At least it cost me significantly less than the $300 upgrade from Taylor. Those with AA batteries take heed though. It's just a matter of time unless you do what I did which was to test the sound (or play your gig) and then..as soon as I was done playing...pulled both batteries and put them out on the table for another time. Do not leave them in the guitar, you're just looking for trouble IMHO.